How do you F5 guys use awacs to find bandits quickly and easily? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #1
redmantab

Default How do you F5 guys use awacs to find bandits quickly and easily?

I'm currently flying the f5 single mission to defend the base. I have problems finding bandits and have trouble finding bandits in the F5 Hercules mission as well. I'll make my question ultra simple as I'm new. I'd prefer to keep it simple and not have to use rulers from bullseye or any other tricky method but just learn where awacs sees bogeys and what direction to face my aircraft.

What can I say or request from awacs so that I know where bandits are from my current position using my location / jet as the main point and then all I have to do is spin the course knob so that I can hen aim towards the bandits?

Can someone help me with this?
redmantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #2
Lucas_From_Hell

The regular "BOGEY DOPE" call will give you the heading and distance between you and the nearest enemy. What becomes tricky after certain distances is that the enemy is obviously moving, so by the time you're in the position the AWACS gave you, the enemy will be somewhere else.

Try to mentalise the bad guy's movement after a few calls some minutes apart, and work on anticipating their next position if possible.
Lucas_From_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:05 AM   #3
Baaz

>>>SITUATIONAL AWARENESS<<<

Bad things happen when you lose it.

Since the F-5 doesn't have all the bells and whistles of most other modules (something I love about it), it's crucial that you maintain great situational awareness. Know where you are at all times. Know the terrain, where front lines are, and know were you are in relation to bullseye.

When AWACS gives you BRA/Bulls, try to remember the one previous (if applicable) so you can get a more clear picture about what the bogey is actually doing. Maybe the bogey is not a threat at all, and is just loitering in no-man's land (example). Often times I won't react to the first BRA/Bulls issued, unless it's HOT. "Flanking" doesn't tell you if he's flanking to the left or right, but with good situational awareness, you can probably make an educated guess.

Take the time to read your mission briefings. If it's a new mission, make a note of where Bulls is, and then make a few area familiarization trips on an empty map to get yourself clued in on important locations. For example, if Senaki-Kolkhi is Bulls, then you know Sukhumi is 307 for 55; Kutaisi is 095 for 19; Kobuleti is 198 for 20; and the highest peak on the map is 009 for 69. Familiarize yourself with the map you're working on, and things will come to you really quick.

Hope it all helps. GL.

Last edited by Baaz; 06-18-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Baaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
redmantab

Jesus these are great replies.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:20 AM   #5
Baaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmantab View Post
Jesus these are great replies.
Sarcasm?? Not sure if my response actually helps, or not.
Baaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
beppe_goodoldrebel

If you request PICTURE the BRA is from Bullseye.
With BOGEY DOPE the BRA is from your aircraft ( implies many calls by the AWACS to let you informed about enemy movement).

I usually request PICTURE if i'm cold , BOGEY DOPE when hot near enemy.

AWACS is a powerful tool even with 4th gen aircrafts cause you can snooze radar and going hot without being spotted.
beppe_goodoldrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
NeilWillis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baaz View Post
Sarcasm?? Not sure if my response actually helps, or not.
I'd say he was actually saying the opposite. "Great replies" might be the clue there?
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
probad

please dont request picture, you're not the only person in the air and when awacs is spending a minute listing all the contacts it sees youre denying your teammates access to bogey dopes.
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
redmantab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWillis View Post
I'd say he was actually saying the opposite. "Great replies" might be the clue there?
Correct! I was being extremely thankful and appreciative. You guys helped me sort this out promptly. Great community here.

I was able to jump back into my missions where I couldn't find a darn thing and actually complete Hercules with my F5. The big help was bogey dope for a course directly from my position. I was initially requesting from bullseye but coursing as if that mean straight from my own location lol.

While I'm here - an additional silly noon question if I may. When landing at the airport I took off from at the end of a mission.... Would I land in the same direction I took off from? So that when I finally come to a a stop after landing I'm at the end of the runway right near where I took off? I'm new to flight so take it easy on me here
Old 06-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
TLTeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
please dont request picture, you're not the only person in the air and when awacs is spending a minute listing all the contacts it sees youre denying your teammates access to bogey dopes.

He's asking specifically about single player missions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmantab View Post
Correct! I was being extremely thankful and appreciative. You guys helped me sort this out promptly. Great community here.

I was able to jump back into my missions where I couldn't find a darn thing and actually complete Hercules with my F5. The big help was bogey dope for a course directly from my position. I was initially requesting from bullseye but coursing as if that mean straight from my own location lol.

While I'm here - an additional silly noon question if I may. When landing at the airport I took off from at the end of a mission.... Would I land in the same direction I took off from? So that when I finally come to a a stop after landing I'm at the end of the runway right near where I took off? I'm new to flight so take it easy on me here

You'll get the runway heading when you get clearance for landing (e.g. runway 22 means the runway heading is 220). Planes always want to take off or land into the wind so unless the wind changed direction (and as far as I understand, that doesn't happen because dynamic weather in DCS is very messy so mission makers don't really use it) then the answer to your question is yes.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote