X52Pro modes selection?

Hi,

I am going into the world of DCS. I own an old X52Pro which I am not used to program. I came along some layouts for DCS planes. What I do not understand is the use of the Modes 1 2 and 3 on the HOTAS.

When I rotate the mode dial from 1 to 2 etc and press a HOTAS button the input in the DCS control setting remains the same, not matter what mode is selected on the HOTAS.

Do I have to use the Saitek profiler program for this (which I find difficult to use, but if I have to will look into it).?

Hi,

I am going into the world of DCS. I own an old X52Pro which I am not used to program. I came along some layouts for DCS planes. What I do not understand is the use of the Modes 1 2 and 3 on the HOTAS.

Have you been into this page and tryed to find something?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=70&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

I personal do not use the software program on my x52 pro. Only using the mode 1.

But I make sure to turn off the "clutch mode" on the stick in the options in Windows Control panel.

Hi,

When I rotate the mode dial from 1 to 2 etc and press a HOTAS button the input in the DCS control setting remains the same, not matter what mode is selected on the HOTAS.

Do I have to use the Saitek profiler program for this (which I find difficult to use, but if I have to will look into it).?

Yes, you would need to use the Saitek profiler SW to program different functions across modes.

Also remember that you would need to load the profile and keep the Saitek app running in the background, before starting DCS.

You can add mode buttons as a modifer and then select the button you want to use and the corresponding modifier in DCS itself when mapping although I would say the Saitek software is possibly easier.

AMD 5800X, 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, AMD 6900xt, Windows 11, Quest 3.

F15E, AH-64, F/A18C, F-14, Super Carrier, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, AV-8B, FW190, C101, F-15C, Mi8MTV2, SU-33, SU-27, M-2000C, AJS-37, KA-50, L-39, Yak-52, F-5E, F-86F, Spitfire, Persian Gulf, Normandy, NTTR.

You can add mode buttons as a modifer and then select the button you want to use and the corresponding modifier in DCS itself when mapping although I would say the Saitek software is possibly easier.

Thanks, discovered that option also. That gives more combinations than I can remember on the short term!:joystick:

Thanks, discovered that option also. That gives more combinations than I can remember on the short term!

yeah mate I'm the same, easy enough to assign but harder to remember lol, think its near 200 on my X56 if all are assigned throughout the modes.

AMD 5800X, 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, AMD 6900xt, Windows 11, Quest 3.

F15E, AH-64, F/A18C, F-14, Super Carrier, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, AV-8B, FW190, C101, F-15C, Mi8MTV2, SU-33, SU-27, M-2000C, AJS-37, KA-50, L-39, Yak-52, F-5E, F-86F, Spitfire, Persian Gulf, Normandy, NTTR.

To make you memories a bit easier, assign to the modes ie 1 for take off/landing, 2 for cruise/refuelling and 3 for battle operations. That helped me a lot since I owned the X52 in older times.

WS: i9-9900K@5.0Ghz, MSI Z390, 32GB RAM@2166, MSI RTX2070S X Trio, TM HOTAS WARTHOG, 2 TM COUGAR, Saitek Pedals, Open Cockpit Fighter Radio, XL2746S

NB: Acer Predator Helios 16, i9-13900HX@5,4Ghz, 32GB RAM DDR5, RTX4080, 2TB Hynix Platinum PCIe NVMe

I fly most of the DCS modules

Its much easier to use the dcs modifier and assign one button.

When this is held the buttons do similar things for each module.

When not held the controls are setup as close to the real aircraft.

So things like gear up, flaps up etc are all on modifiers in the same position for most modules.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I use the software to bind everything. Saves me the trouble of re-binding my coontrols everytime ED decides to wipe our settings.

Never re-bind any keys in DCS.

The mode 2 and 3 are rarely useful in Full fidelity click-pits.

I only bind what's actually on the stick in the aircraft.

For FC3 AC it's a hwole different story, as you cant click anything in the pit.

For Su-27, for example, I use Mode 1 for Navigation - mode 2 for A2A and A2G combat, and Mode 3 for refueling (Su-33)

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

I use the software to bind everything. Saves me the trouble of re-binding my coontrols everytime ED decides to wipe our settings.

Never re-bind any keys in DCS.

Yeah, there are plusses and minuses to whatever way we do things. I used to do it the way you describe, but I wasn't happy that:

(a) Changing planes in the middle of a DCS session meant I had to go back to the desktop and select a new Saitek (/Logitech) profile. Or do you standardise keypresses between all DCS modules so there's only one Saitek (/Logitech) DCS profile?

(b) Shifted keys. I might press two HOTAS buttons at once. One of those buttons might map to <shift>W and the other might map to R. Mightn't DCS think <shift>R is being pressed? Do you avoid creating any Shift/Ctrl/Alt keypresses in your DCS Keyboard mapping?

I'm happier letting DCS manage all HOTAS functions and having a single simple Saitek DCS profile. But you've a good point, there was one time I needed to remap *everything* for all modules I own. That was not a good weekend.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick