What To Bind To My HOTAS?

I'm new to DCS (and detailed flight sims) and I wanted to ask a question about what basic flight controls that I need to bind to a HOTAS please.

I'm not a pilot so I would appreciate some pointers. I am guessing that PITCH, ROLL, YAW, Braking, and Landing Gear Up/Down are the minimum?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi Pilot. If you aren't using rudder pedals, those controls (rudder/brakes) will definitely need to be accessible to you quickly and easily. Landing gear is a convenience but something you'll be using minimally, so I personally think it is better served left as the default "G" on the keyboard or on another controller.

Beyond that, the first thing I'd recommend is binding whatever controls are present on the actual airframe in as similar a configuration as you can. You can usually find a diagram of the HOTAS in the manual (dcs world/mods/aircraft/AIRCRAFTNAME/doc) or with a quick google search.

Try this video from Wags: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4073743&postcount=25

It's about the F-16, but explains what you should genreally map to a HOTAS.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Ironically, Wikipedia (not a fan of it) has the F-16 Throttle and Side Stick Controller as the example in the article...the F-16C Early Release Manual and the Real World F-16C-1 can help you map inputs realistically, if you have a realistic HOTAS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTAS

One thing, I think you mentioned you got the T16000 earlier, so try to map the obvious items to the same button for each airplane...deja vu.

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Depending on your controller some default bindings may exist. For example, the A-10 HOTAS is preconfigured for both the A-10C and F-16.

For most other devices a few basic functions will be automatically mapped but frequently these do more harm than good (pitch/roll assigned to the brakes on rudder pedals, etc.) Your best bet is to clear out the default bindings and set up something basic for yourself. Build on it as you learn systems and need more functionality.

Baby steps are key, very easy to reach information saturation.

@pilot905,

If you haven't done so already, check out the Grim Reapers on Youtube. They have tons of tutorials including setting up HOTAS for various airframes. Check the link below.

Good Luck and happy flying.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZuXjkFY00p1ga3UyCBbR2w/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=5

Edited by Talonr
added info

8-way hat is pretty essential to bind to aircraft trim. I have a Hotas X and use the buttons on the left throttle stick for flares/chaff, toggle thru nav modes, select D (ordnance) or C (guns) and one for F10 map view. The rest will become more obvious as you play and learn and develop own preferences (I'm still quite new to DCS)

When you buy a jet module and install it does it come with any bindings already assigned? Or are the control bindings blank?

Some modules come with bindings for the most common devices out of the box. The A-10C, F-14 and F-16 had bindings for the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, i just edited them a bit.