weapon select switch on stick

Beazle

• 2 years later...

About the switch functionality on the Thrustmaster replica, I just got mine and noticed the 4 way hat switch is actually usable only as a 3 way (FWD-BACK-RIGHT) switch+depress (like the real Hornet stick). In other words the number 18 switch (moving the hat to the LEFT) doesn't do anything on my replica stick (I can't even feel and hear the "click" like for all other positions).

Is that normal?

I have the same TM stick and it absolutely does move left. It’s a 4 way plus push.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

About the switch functionality on the Thrustmaster replica, I just got mine and noticed the 4 way hat switch is actually usable only as a 3 way (FWD-BACK-RIGHT) switch+depress (like the real Hornet stick). In other words the number 18 switch (moving the hat to the LEFT) doesn't do anything on my replica stick (I can't even feel and hear the "click" like for all other positions).

Is that normal?

I can use all 5 positions

My switch also works fine. It's just a little difficult to move it left, because of the design, but it works just like the others. I pre-ordered the Hornet grip, so I likely got an early batch, if that matters.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

yep, TM's version is a 5 way switch, 4 cardinal directions + press, such as the SCS.

while we're at it, is anyone of you guys experiencing problems with the press function of the weapon switch?

-sometimes i am having difficulties pushing it in without tilting it to one of the other directions, thus not activating the sidewinder...

thanks.

So, no further discussion? Is it a 3-way+push or a 4-way+push in the real jet?

BTW: The standard TM Warthog A-10 stick has a 4-way + push. However the push function is of no use. It's to easy to 'hit' one of the up-down-left-right positions while pushing in on the switch and there goes your weapons select and possible radar lock, not good in the middle of a furball.

I have mine set to FWD = AIM7, RIGHT = AIM120, AFT = GUN, LEFT = AIM9. Again, the TM switch is a lot less 'firm' getting it into positions than a real F/A-18 stick.

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

BTW: The standard TM Warthog A-10 stick has a 4-way + push. However the push function is of no use. It's to easy to 'hit' one of the up-down-left-right positions while pushing in on the switch and there goes your weapons select and possible radar lock, not good in the middle of a furball.

I have mine set to FWD = AIM7, RIGHT = AIM120, AFT = GUN, LEFT = AIM9. Again, the TM switch is a lot less 'firm' getting it into positions than a real F/A-18 stick.

---

Forward, Right, Aft, Push. There is no left. It does not move left.

Its a 5 way on the Winwing. I believe however that the real deal does not move left as noted prior.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hello guys,

is there anyone able to answer this question for me; What ype of switch si the weapon select switch? 2 way? 4 way? 4 way+ push?

TaBBbDX.png

thank you

Billy

I don't use the same stick but I wouldn't set it going by weapon type only.

Instead I use Stores 2 Select (for Mirage 2000 BVR) which allows for use of an A2G weapon when fitted and in A2G mode, if you have more stores and more buttons you could do the same.

Gun Select and Fox Two remains the same, because unless you use smokey winders they will always be fitted to those same stations.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

---

Real stick has 3 way + push. FWD for AIM-7, Right for AIM-120, Aft for Gun, Down for AIM-9.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

I plan on buying a Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick in the future. Anyone that has one, how many positions on that stick?

Thanks all, you have been great.

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

I plan on buying a Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick in the future. Anyone that has one, how many positions on that stick?

Thanks all, you have been great.

---

Please read the first page. But to reiterate, the Thrustmaster stick has a 4-way + push.

That switch on all of the F/A-18 grips out there (TM, Winwing, Realsimulator) is 4-way + push, and there are corresponding DX buttons for these positions in Windows Game Controller. If your stick doesn’t do this then there is something wrong with it.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

yep, TM's version is a 5 way switch, 4 cardinal directions + press, such as the SCS.

while we're at it, is anyone of you guys experiencing problems with the press function of the weapon switch?

-sometimes i am having difficulties pushing it in without tilting it to one of the other directions, thus not activating the sidewinder...

thanks.

I previously posted the push function on the left side WH switch is useless. Like you said, it's too easy to select another weapon if your not careful. I just mapped the center press push to another HOTAS button, done with that.

---

It's probably cheaper for thrustmaster to just get a 5-way hat installed.

It also allows for additional binds if you where to use your stick for something not the dcs f18 module.

And when people are comparison shopping, having the extra button looks good, the f18 grip compared to others are already lacking quite a few buttons already.

In the meantime you could bind to anything you want.

A macro for the coms menu?

Toggle labels.

Saluting the catapult officer etc.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I've been looking for the correct order, thanks.

P59 of the manual.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box