X52 Ministick Slew SHKVAL

I know that there are two recent threads pertaining to this loosely, but I am wondering how/if I can setup the SHKVAL slew to the X-52 mini-stick as I could the TDS in LOMAC.

I don't want bands and can't seem to set it up as a mouse and modifier as someone else suggested. I went into the 'Axis Commands' and attempted to bind the 'Absolute' values to the mini-stick in the 'Add Assignment Panel', but the axis was not recognized. I then tried all Axis' listed manually, as their designations in game are not descriptive. When tested, none worked. This was with it programmed as an axis in the Saitek software.

I then tried setting it up as a mouse in the Saitek software. This was not an option either. I noticed that there is no option to bind it to the mouse in the controls section of the sim...this area does not have an input box. This leads me to believe that the mouse cannot be used for the slew as it could in LOMAC...probably something to do with the clickable cockpit?

Anyhow, am I missing something or is this not possible? I'll look into the helmet targeting thing (O key) and TrackIR or whatever, but want to know if the mini-stick can be used in this manner. The hat is just not working for me as it can't do diagonals and is somewhat awkward to use in the heat of battle.

By the way, the sim is something else. I can't believe the level of detail..great work to all involved! :thumbup:

You say you dont want to use bands on the mini-stick, may i ask why?

I have the X/Y axis set to bands of

0-40%

40-60% {Deadzone}

60-100%

This method works perfectly for the Shkval slew, included diagonal slewing.

I use it as bands as well, for Mode 1, although I have 0-47%, 47-53% Deadzone, and 53-100% and it works a treat. My sensitivity is set around 25-33% on the slider. I also use Mode 1 + Pinkie as normal mouse axis (with sensitivity set to max) so I can still move the mouse cursor around to operate cockpit switches, etc, without having to use the mouse. Having Track IR4 also helps with this.

I didn't realize that hitting two of the buttons at once led to a diagonal being entered...even though I remember that now from LOMAC and remember reading that on here at one point.

That works quite well, the only thing that isn't the best is the slew speed does not respond like it would if it was on an analog axis and like it does in LOMAC (increased input=faster slew). It is still just the bands replicating digital button presses, which was what I wanted to avoid if possible. Not a deal breaker though, so thanks for steering me in the right direction on the diagonal thing.

I didn't realize that hitting two of the buttons at once led to a diagonal being entered...even though I remember that now from LOMAC and remember reading that on here at one point.

That works quite well, the only thing that isn't the best is the slew speed does not respond like it would if it was on an analog axis and like it does in LOMAC (increased input=faster slew). It is still just the bands replicating digital button presses, which was what I wanted to avoid if possible. Not a deal breaker though, so thanks for steering me in the right direction on the diagonal thing.

Yea, that's why I'm not using the stick. I like to keep the general layout of controls similar to the real thing, and there's really no advantage in using it instead of a hat. So, I'm sticking with the 'cyclic' hat switch for my slewing needs. ;)

Yea, that's why I'm not using the stick. I like to keep the general layout of controls similar to the real thing, and there's really no advantage in using it instead of a hat. So, I'm sticking with the 'cyclic' hat switch for my slewing needs. ;)

I hear you. I'll probably switch it back to the hat, now that it is apparent that there is no advantage to using the analog mini-stick. I wonder why the mini-stick axis is not recognized in the game as an axis, even when it is set to act as one in the Saitek software?

I too use the mini-stick on my X52 Pro to Slew. In some flight sims I use it for external views and slewing those... The POV1 is not nearly as sensitive for slewing any view.. That is why I prefer the mini-stick for weapons view slewing tasks..

;)

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I use it as bands as well, for Mode 1, although I have 0-47%, 47-53% Deadzone, and 53-100% and it works a treat. My sensitivity is set around 25-33% on the slider. I also use Mode 1 + Pinkie as normal mouse axis (with sensitivity set to max) so I can still move the mouse cursor around to operate cockpit switches, etc, without having to use the mouse. Having Track IR4 also helps with this.
I'm setting up my mouse stick to slew the SHKVAL - I've got the X52, but

how do you setup the sensitivity on the mouse stick? you mentioned "sliders" but I don't see those in the programming software

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Intel Extreme i7 3.33GHz

EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified HydroCopper MOBO

12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM

2 X EVGA 295 GTX HydroCopper GPUs in SLI

2 X Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSDs

Koolance Exos Water Cooling

Sorry, my mistake, I was looking at the mouse sensitivity slider in "Mode 2" which I'd previously set when I was experimenting with different setups. When set to Bands, you don't have the sensitivity slider, but when set to Mouse X/Y Axis, you have a sensitivity slider available. I set it to max to move the cursor around the cockpit at a faster rate.

I use a similar setup in LockOn, but using it as the analogue type joystick so the more you press the mini stick away from "centre" the quicker the cursor would move (this worked well on the A10, and I think it was just as good on the Frog) but that was set as an in-game option and I did like it that way. Maybe a future patch will allow this to happen in DCS, but it may be that the Slew Rate is at a fixed rate which you can alter in the cockpit (as well as Auto Scanning), therefore a variable speed slew isn't how it works IRL, and ED are sticklers for "Keeping it Real".

Sorry for the derail, but I have been meaning to ask this: Can you run Saitek's SST software to set up some of the controls, and leave others blank and configure them with the in-game control setup? Or do I have to use one or the other exclusively?

Yep, you can. This is exactly what I've done, most controls I've set up in-game, the odd few (such as this ministick Shkval skew, which works great) in the SST software.

Of course you've gotta make sure there are no conflicts, eg I use the pinkie switch as a modifier in-game so I set it to a button in the SST software and make sure it's not used.

Edited by TimA

Off topic but figured one of y'all can help me. How do I program the right "shift" key into a macro. Whenever I try to program it, it doesn't show up on the command list.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Intel Extreme i7 3.33GHz

EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified HydroCopper MOBO

12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM

2 X EVGA 295 GTX HydroCopper GPUs in SLI

2 X Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSDs

Koolance Exos Water Cooling

You need the updated SD6 software the original version is buged and doesnt allow you to program the right shift

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

• 7 months later...

ive been searching the forums for this and i dont believe the question was ever answered atleast not in enough detail. so il reiterate the question, how does one set up the ministick for use as shkval slew???? how do bands work?

Edited by sharkforce

MSI Z170A G45, 32 GB DDR 4, 1080ti, I7 6700k, Trackir5, Warthog HOTAS. Microsoft FF2 Sidewinder

ive been searching the forums for this and i dont believe the question was ever answered atleast not in enough detail. so il reiterate the question, how does one set up the ministick for use as shkval slew???? how do bands work?

I use the ministick to control the shkval also using equal size bands, take a look in the help file that case with your software (the small question mark) and this will take you to Saitek web page , clicl on Advance Programing and look under Axis (rotaries, thumb wheels etc) Programming Options, and it will instruct you on how to set up and program the bands you will also find some helpful thumbnails.:)

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

ok i setup the bands, 0-40% 40-60% and 60-100%

from the guide im supposed to assign keys to the bands, so i tried assigning the shkval slew keys, i try it in game and the shkval doesn't slew at all.

edit: works after updating my version of sst

Edited by sharkforce

MSI Z170A G45, 32 GB DDR 4, 1080ti, I7 6700k, Trackir5, Warthog HOTAS. Microsoft FF2 Sidewinder

ok i setup the bands, 0-40% 40-60% and 60-100%

from the guide im supposed to assign keys to the bands, so i tried assigning the shkval slew keys, i try it in game and the shkval doesn't slew at all.

edit: works after updating my version of sst

Great, I think you'll enjoy that setup.:thumbup:

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I still think that it's next to pointless to use the ministick to control shkval until you can assign it as a slew axis like it should be. Using it like proposed earlier in the thread just makes it a "softer" POV hat.

Edited by Boulund
  • Like 1

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

• 2 months later...

Counter to some views here, I prefer to use the ministick for Shkval slew....

But I have another problem.

I have the X52 Pro kit and have had "input lag" issues lately - apart from cyclic pitch, roll and yaw, all other inputs from buttons and even throttle have been lagged, sometimes for 15 seconds. After which all inputs flood in all at once.

It's kind of like a pipe being blocked up and suddenly getting unblocked - sorry, weird analogy, but that's as close as I can come to describing it....

I blame the SST programming software.

So, now I am trying to program my (Blackshark) controls, purely through the game options, and bypassing Saitek's SST altogether. I'm hoping this will streamline my controls regime and get rid of this input lag once and for all.

My problem, however, lies with the apparent lack of ministick in the axis assignments options.

I am used to using the ministick for Shkval and would like to program it in game.

Any ideas?

Rectum non bustus

Counter to some views here, I prefer to use the ministick for Shkval slew....

But I have another problem.

I have the X52 Pro kit and have had "input lag" issues lately - apart from cyclic pitch, roll and yaw, all other inputs from buttons and even throttle have been lagged, sometimes for 15 seconds. After which all inputs flood in all at once.

It's kind of like a pipe being blocked up and suddenly getting unblocked - sorry, weird analogy, but that's as close as I can come to describing it....

I blame the SST programming software.

So, now I am trying to program my (Blackshark) controls, purely through the game options, and bypassing Saitek's SST altogether. I'm hoping this will streamline my controls regime and get rid of this input lag once and for all.

My problem, however, lies with the apparent lack of ministick in the axis assignments options.

I am used to using the ministick for Shkval and would like to program it in game.

Any ideas?

Well, toward your immediate goal... perhaps just try programming the ministick in SST, and everything else in the BlackShark Options.

As for the SST software causing the lag... that is some weird stuff you are experiencing. I have to think there is something else causing that problem. However, some possible suggestions:

1. Try a different version (older or newer) of the SST software. Same thing for the drivers, possibly as well.

2. Perhaps a disk cleanup and defrag is in order.

3. The registry can also be cleaned and defragged. Crudded up registries can cause weird delays in software execution. If you installed and uninstalled a lot of programs, that can really load the registry up with extra crap to wade through that isn't serving any good purpose any more.

4. Maybe go all out... Uninstall the SST and drivers, do a disk cleanup, do a registry cleanup, do a disk defrag, then do a registry defrag. Possibly repeat the defrags several times. Then reinstall SST and driver versions that you have the most confidence in.

--------------------------------

If all of the above has already been performed, maybe look for a mouse-to-joystick application?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

OK, It turns out that the ministick is the problem.

I tried entering the ministick mapped to Shkval slew in SST exclusively and my throttle MFD flickers every time I input from ministick. This flickering coincides with my input lag issue as well.

Bugger. It's a good aspect of the X52pro.

I have tried using the Shkval slew on the Cyclic tophat, and while access is easy, it's more of a challenge locking moving targets, as my target lock button is on "Fire c" of the cyclic as well. I will now have to shuffle my config around.

Double bugger. I was just getting used to that config...

I'm thinking I will have more luck if I change OS - currently Vista 32.

Rectum non bustus