I was weak

ngreenaway

With DCS we are used to a very high standard of accurate aircraft simulation that not many other commercial sims can (or even want to) reach.

That is the primary thrust of this thread: while other sims have stuff they do very well (and let's not forget, the latest iteration of msfs is in its infancy), by taking some time with the others simply reinforces how good overall we have it here. It's an easy thing to lose sight of amongst the clamoring of the torches-and-pitchforks mobs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

If only I was that rich to be able to say that even on a DCS module in a 50% sale...

"They did a really good job on this logo though. Really, super bang up job!"

~CW Lemoine

Give it time, if you're like me, after enough sales of picking up 2-3 aircraft at a time, you won't have any more to get & can start ignoring sales.

Nice quote, ranks up there with his "if you're gonna suck, suck with confidence" one

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I distinctly remember a great many claiming it would ''kill DCS'' just prior to launch... unsurprisingly, it's a modernised version of FSX, with everything that implies. I will admit I had high hopes, but am not terribly surprised by how it turned out. I have not purchased it myself, based on reviews.

How is that even possible? Isn't that like saying Ford's about to release a new truck that will put John Deere out of business?

It's entirely different market and genre, no?

I think of it as more of a civilian version DCS.

Also, I think people are overlooking the expansive map, weather, clouds etc. It's not a flop by any means. Having said that, I'll only take it for a spin when VR comes out.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There's nothing wrong with preferring one sim to another or one kind of simming to another.

However, perhaps one might prefer different things on different days. I have 3 sims on my PC that coexist nicely. Each has its' strengths and weaknesses. There's certainly a lot more to civil simming than watching the scenery go by.

MSFS20 is in it's infancy. Give it a chance to stand up.

So, I think some might enrich one's simming experience with a different simming flavour. Flight sims are products, much like your favourite beverages, or fishing rods (plural) or cars, if you are rolling in it. You might choose to use a different product depending on how you feel. Flight sims are not political parties, or religions.

Agree!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Vr really is the cats pajamas, the bees knees- like I said, it was the hook that really brought me into vr. What I've found more important than FOV is clarity. Last I checked, monitors had a pretty limited fov as well, looking around is much more natural in vr tho

picture.php?albumid=1828&pictureid=12377

My in-laws just moved back to the US from russia. I had Sergey, my father-in-law, flying around sochi in a mig19 and off the Kuz near batumi in the mi-8. One of the joys of dcs+vr is watching people experience it for the first time, it has much more of an effect on them than if they were staring at a monitor.

I haven't gotten to dig into 2020 that much because we have guests staying with us, and after I finished installation, we had more guests coming for dinner but that touches on another thing I can appreciate about dcs- whatever we may complain about slow downloads on the days that everyone and their brother is updating dcs at the same time, it's still far better than the excruciating 15 hour installation process I had with 2020

You are correct of course! I will def get VR. I will, my GF wants to get into DCS, and sure, VR will blow her away.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

You are missing the point entirely to MSFS. It has always been just a platform for add-ons and once those arrive, example PMDG hardcore jets, this will be an AWESOME flight sim.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

my weakness(hence the title) stems from the fact that this was supposed to be a hard pass till vr, but i got it anyway. ive come to appreciate many things in dcs as a result. i want to like fs2020, and im giving it a fair shake but i have a feeling itll end up like il2- a nice experience & pretty too, but not one i go back to very often

i know its in its infancy, and has plenty of room to grow. it may be nice, or an enjoyable diversion. judging from the fora, civil aviation fans dont tend to like dcs , and dcs fans often dont care for civil aviation. there are exceptions, and plenty of them...but thats the general feeling im getting

System:

Civ flightsim? Regardless the graphics and technology... Waaaaay too peaceful and boring for me. The only thing that would kill DCS 2.5 for me, would be DCS 3.0. I know ppl playing the MS (or similar) flight sims taking off in Berlin friday evening, engage autopilot, go to sleep and land in Sidney after waking up saturday morning. When i ask them why, they reply "well, the flight is boring". WTF, whats the point in playing it then? No, i knew from the beginning, that this new sim will have little to none affect on DCS. Simply two totally different types of flight simmers.

Cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

(...)There's been other companies that have been supporting the flight sim community for many years after one larger company decided to just drop everyone because it didn't suit them - I've really lost interest in the former co.(...)

Exactly this. The larger company had to make billions, not millions, so they just dumped FS, sacked Aces Studio and Bob's your uncle.

AFAIK what they did with FS2020 was hire a studio (a French one, is it?) to "write some software for them, fly game or something like that, we don't exactly know but people said we could make money on that" and if MS don't earn their billions, they will just drop it like garbage. They had done this before, they can easily do it again. Looking from this perspective, FS2020 is "yet another game" for me. There are lots of games released every year, nothing to write home about.

Sure - as someone mentioned above - MSFS is a platform for proper quality add-ons (something like DCS modules for DCS World), the question is how credible is the company behind the very platform?

Should I demolish my room to built a cockpit for MSFS? No, thanks.

ED, on the other hand, have been making their living on their combat flight sim since the 90's and they're still in business.

That's why I bought myself new HOTAS a few months ago and didn't buy a new yoke.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box