Editor: Time of Day with visual presentation of Sun position

Fri13

Some other games mission editors has nice visual presentation that what is the sun position for the given time. In DCS we have just a hour : minute : seconds and depending the season, it will change where the Sun is.

It would be nice to have a two values shown just below the time/season.

1) Angle of the sun. Even if it is just a reusing the unit direction circle, but as presentation that if object is at the center then on what direction does the sun shine between angles where it falls behind horizon.

2) Altitude of the sun. It would be presented as a line that is horizon, and then curve that comes from left below it, rising above the line at the center and then to right back to below, and there a sun altitude from horizon is marked as a circle.

Time-of-Day_wishlist.thumb.jpg.8322d22a3293d0ab6d1b59d39ce1e97d.jpg

This would help a lot to make more interesting weathers and flight conditions when one can visually get a estimation what is the sun and moon positions.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

At best represent day time, weather conditions, etc. in a simple preview window which directly shows the DCS World. Same as you would view skins in the preview window, or similar to the ModelViewer.

If we take it a whole lot of steps further to another solution, implement a 3D MissionEditor.

Even showing the sunrise and sunset times for the selected date and map would help. I hate setting up a quick mission in the editor that I think is a sunrise mission only to find it's still dark out when I hop into the cockpit. Between differences in latitude and the presence/absence of daylight savings time, it can be hard to guess for a given map when that perfect dawn or dusk light is happening.