Once and forever, let me explan what OPEN BETA is meant for.

LordOrion

I'm a little bored to see tons of whine/complain thread/post any time a new Open Beta (OB) update broke something or add 1000+ bugs, so let me explain what the OB is meant for and why/when one should use it instead of using the Stable:

As the name says OB is an under-development branch of the game client that includes all the new feature and which is "Open" to everyone FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

That means, the OB IS and WILL ALWAYS BE prone to be bugged and/or broken at each update (deal with that).

Cleared that, it should be used to TEST NEW FEATURES, FIND BUGS and REPORT THEM to devs.

OB is not (again IS NOT) a full-feature version of the game client, if you use it for something different than testing and report bugs you are doing it at you own risk. If you can't accept/understand that OB can be easily bugged by its own nature, then go play the Stable Version and leave the OB to others.

THERE IS NO MEAN TO CRY/WHINE/COMPLAIN: if you find a bug in OB report it to devs, they will take care of it ASAP.

Cheers :joystick:

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

So I guess I will head back over to the crowded stable servers and fly happily at 30fps....

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

But stable has a lot of bugs to ;). i am really sorry to say this, as i have seen they pushed the unstable openbeta to stable a few weeks ago.

Stable contains a lot of bugs at this moment as well.

Edited by Maverick_NL

MrMaverick

Pilot in the RAZBAM Harrier DIsplay Team

Mavericks Youtube: My Youtube Channel

Discord: https://discord.gg/MRU8m5m

I'm a little bored to see tons of whine/complain thread/post any time a new Open Beta (OB) update broke something or add 1000+ bugs, so let me explain what the OB is meant for and why/when one should use it instead of using the Stable:

As the name says OB is an under-development branch of the game client that includes all the new feature and which is "Open" to everyone FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

That means, the OB IS and WILL ALWAYS BE prone to be bugged and/or broken at each update (deal with that).

Cleared that, it should be used to TEST NEW FEATURES, FIND BUGS and REPORT THEM to devs.

OB is not (again IS NOT) a full-feature version of the game client, if you use it for something different than testing and report bugs you are doing it at you own risk. If you can't accept/understand that OB can be easily bugged by its own nature, then go play the Stable Version and leave the OB to others.

THERE IS NO MEAN TO CRY/WHINE/COMPLAIN: if you find a bug in OB report it to devs, they will take care of it ASAP.

Noone complained about new things not working.

People say about things that were previusly working ,and was new features like a year ago, when we ,the beta community test F18 radar. why did they release a broken old feature?

You correct say, NEW THINGS, the problem is not with new things, we know what beta is.

It seems that you don't understand what Beta is, and what Alpha is, and how to work for others and pay for it instead of been paid for it.

Thanks for the explanation, dude.

With all this bold and shouting, it now finally makes sense.

Crying, whining & complaining should stop in 3...2...1...

Sarcasm aside, I'm a little bored to see tons of people trying to explain what the Open Beta means in their own opinion. And ignoring the fact what it really is: a heavily advertised, and the most full-feature version of the game client, vital to keep ED afloat, thanks to the EA releases and army of free beta-testers.

Edited by Minsky
spelling

Dima | My DCS uploads

Nothing to add, I simply pay you a big applause. :clap:

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

Then...

which version do you'd like we flight?

I meant, since "stable" version is exaclty an "old beta" version with another name.

...all yours words will recover sense if ED will push sometimes a mayor-bug-free-version DIFERENT that an older one... meanwhile all version are (or was) beta.

Then...

which version do you'd like we flight?

I meant, since "stable" version is exaclty an "old beta" version with another name.

...all yours words will recover sense if ED will push sometimes a mayor-bug-free-version DIFERENT that an older one... meanwhile all version are (or was) beta.

That's how it works though. Every piece of software you've ever used was once a beta version. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

If you want these complex addons (and as you're happy to participate in an open beta it suggests you do) then expect that occasionally changing something will break something else. That is unfortunately what happens when you're dealing with complex software.

Closed Beta Testing - Radar is not working

Open Beta Testing - Radar is not working if oxygen switch pressed twice

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

That's how it works though. Every piece of software you've ever used was once a beta version. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

If you want these complex addons (and as you're happy to participate in an open beta it suggests you do) then expect that occasionally changing something will break something else. That is unfortunately what happens when you're dealing with complex software.

What complex software are you talking about?

ED is 17 year old, is this some kind of joke?

3rd party developers for eg have their own A2G radar 3 years before mother company?

is this normal to have same problems like 2 years ago?

Beta is supposed to test something NEW.

DCS is complicated, but also very expensive, We pay for A+++ and....?

It is not exactly how it should work actually. In beta you add/remove features modify them add them again, polish, tweak, then what feels ready is moved for candidate release tested line by line and then pushed to public release or so called stable.

It's not that you have 2 public versions you push a few updates to one of them if game starts to majority of the people and there are no bugs preventing the game to start, if it crashes to less than XX% of the people and only 10-15 new bugs are introduced, then push it to the other public version too and call it stable :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hahaha maybe you should explain to ED what betas are for.

They can release as many public versions as they want and call them as they want, beta gamma whatever. I just hardly believe a software company in more competitive market would survive with the QA level of ED.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not a game developer expert by any means but i've seen many big game dev compaines handle stable and beta branches in a better way so here are my thoughts:

As you said, OB should be used for testing new features. The problem is that they also use it for pushing the bug fixes that stable has so then you have to wait a long time for ED to push the big patch that contains a clusterf*** of things: FIXES/NEW FEATURES/UNRESOLVED NEW BUGS etc. Doing that will never result in stable being stable. To prevent this i think they should test the fixes internally and push it both ways, stable and beta.

Then, in beta, they should submit a bunch of new features and stop there (not bring new ones) until they fix all the bugs that the current ones brought and then push them on to stable.

Hope this idea helps.

+1000 :thumbup:

They can release as many public versions as they want and call them as they want, beta gamma whatever. I just hardly believe a software company in more competitive market would survive with the QA level of ED.

And now you should ask yourself why it isn't a more competitive market and maybe just maybe adjust your expectations somewhat.

DCS is complicated, but also very expensive, We pay for A+++ and....?

You don't really pay A+++. It is a complex product so if it was developed and maintained by the standards you expect, it would have cost much more and presumably people are not willing to pay for that as otherwise you'd have seen some competition to ED surely by now.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

This is how it SHOULD work.

Implement new features in closed beta.

Stop implementing new features and only fix bugs in open beta.

Release to stable once no more bugs found in open beta.

But that is not how it's working right now. New features are being implemented into open beta and paid customers are expected to be closed beta testers.

This is how it SHOULD work.

Implement new features in closed beta.

Stop implementing new features and only fix bugs in open beta.

Release to stable once no more bugs found in open beta.

But that is not how it's working right now. New features are being implemented into open beta and paid customers are expected to be closed beta testers.

Be careful what you wish for as with the amount of features and modules in a complex product as this, the new stuff would get released at glacial pace then.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

What a pile of opiniated bull. Its not even original. Plagiarism at its most visible. Stop "whining" and acting like your opinions matter.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Be careful what you wish for as with the amount of features and modules in a complex product as this, the new stuff would get released at glacial pace then.

It'll be no slower pace than people sticking with Stable. 3-6 months at the most. But that's how it's supposed to be isn't it?

You can certainly sign up for closed beta tester if you want game breaking feature every week.

And just because implementing new features into open beta stopped, it doesn't mean development of closed beta also stops. But right now, closed beta is nonexistent.

Edited by Taz1004