Vertical Velocity Indicator reaction speed too fast?

Fri13

One of the instruments that pilot needs to keep an close eye is the vertical velocity indicator, so that it can be known is aircraft gaining or losing altitude and how quickly.

In Gazelle to me it feels to be too quickly reacting to the altitude changes, like it would be based to a radar, while it AFAIK is based to pitot tube pressure, and so on you need to be already changing altitude before it can measure the change and calculate the rate.

This I have noticed compared to other aircrafts in DCS that if flying by instruments, it is challenge in Gazelle as it is reacting so rapidly and violently to very small attitude changes, so it becomes fairly unreliable instrument when it is challenge to keep steady in other than fast forward flight.

So I decided to check how does the videos in cockpit seem to react to rapid maneuvers and IMHO it is much smoother, lags clearly behind and is similar to all other modules instruments.

You be the judge:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks for posting the video, two observations from it, where were the after take off checks? and when he was over that gully next to the cliff there was no escape route. I hate to criticise another pilot but, particularly in single engine helicopters, you're always updating your plan (and flight path) in case the donkey stops or the tail rotor gives up.

The VVI or VSI is fed by static pressure from the static vents (2) on each side of the fuselage, it presents rate of change and can be quite unreliable in some manoeuvres. In fact quite ironic that it's one of the instruments to check in the hover after take off as ground effect will increase static pressure.

The gazelle is a twitchy bird for flying in IMC, had to do it for real quite a few times and it needs your full attention unlike more modern aircraft.

Thanks for posting the video, two observations from it, where were the after take off checks? and when he was over that gully next to the cliff there was no escape route. I hate to criticise another pilot but, particularly in single engine helicopters, you're always updating your plan (and flight path) in case the donkey stops or the tail rotor gives up.

Found that video accidentally, but presented well the VVI behavior. Noticed as well that flying was "reckless" by safety reasons and grinded when noticed the children sitting at the backseat....

The VVI or VSI is fed by static pressure from the static vents (2) on each side of the fuselage, it presents rate of change and can be quite unreliable in some manoeuvres. In fact quite ironic that it's one of the instruments to check in the hover after take off as ground effect will increase static pressure.

To me it feels in Gazelle that it is more reliable when at below 30 meters or so altitude, and more unreliable when at higher.

The gazelle is a twitchy bird for flying in IMC, had to do it for real quite a few times and it needs your full attention unlike more modern aircraft.

Waiting for the Flight Modeling redoing, but so far I am more interested about the avionics response and accuracy, as the VVI goes crazy fast and crazy accurately even the slightest altitude change. It is like flying without any dampening and you start to overcorrect when there is nothing denying it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Found that video accidentally, but presented well the VVI behavior. Noticed as well that flying was "reckless" by safety reasons and grinded when noticed the children sitting at the backseat....

To me it feels in Gazelle that it is more reliable when at below 30 meters or so altitude, and more unreliable when at higher.

Waiting for the Flight Modeling redoing, but so far I am more interested about the avionics response and accuracy, as the VVI goes crazy fast and crazy accurately even the slightest altitude change. It is like flying without any dampening and you start to overcorrect when there is nothing denying it.

AFIK many pilots monitor the altimeter for actual level flying and rough anticipation of level flight and the VVI only for the rate, as the VVI is notoriously twitchy and leads to overcorrection and pilot induced oscillation.

It seems the Gazelle VVI is extremely fast and "glued" (had no better word) to the altitude, though.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

My two cents. Even though I'm not very proficient in the Gazelle, the gauges in general feels scripted, following a few set behaviors and not really depicts the (simulated) reality. Not just the VVI, I have noticed this especially during start-up. I can't really say they behave incorrectly, but compared to both other DCS aircrafts and real world gauges of all kinds, depicting measurements of all kinds of physical entities, the FEEL is somewhat...off. Nothing I can prove, but since you mentioned the VVI it seems I'm not entirely alone.

With this said, it's nothing I put much emphasis on. The Gazelle is a neat little thing to play around with and have some fun.

Skickat från min F5121 via Tapatalk

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5