Hornet vs Viper

BuzzU

Hornet vs Viper  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Hornet vs Viper

• Hornet
    • Viper

I just voted Hornet, simply because it was the only one available module which interested me (yeah, because of carrier ops) when I made the decision to buy my first high fidelity module.

However, I start to feel to be drawn towards the Viper, simply because there is so much more documentation available on how to fly and fight this aircraft, e.g. doghouse-charts etc. Another thing which I find intriguing is that I could fly ILS approaches with the Viper, something I would much rather do than a self-knitted RNAV approach when returning to base at night or in inclement weather.

where A-10C is closer to Navy

How so? :huh:

I always felt the A-10C is closer to the Air Force designwise, as it does things the air force way (e.g. A-A missile launch through the weapon release button instead of the trigger as the navy does).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Despite being a huge F-16 fan since almost forever, here in DCS having flown both, I prefer the Hornet on the stick. Dont like how the F-16 feels, that large low sensitivity zone around the center, that isnt even identical on both axis. Really didnt like how that felt, and I tried for a month (free month) to curve it and not, and just couldnt get used to it.

Had it been more linear on both axis, then I might have picked the 16.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I’m also a huge Viper fan from way back. I think it’s still the sexiest fighter ever, and that big bubble canopy is hard to beat. However, since the Hornet was released first, I spent a lot of time flying it before the Viper was released, and it has really captured my heart, at least in its current state vs. the Viper’s current state. That may change once both are completed, and tbh I haven’t spent much time in the Viper since I pretty much decided to wait until it was closer to completion. But right now, I like the bigger displays in the Hornet, and the superior nose authority is a lot of fun in a dogfight. I just wish it had the acceleration of the Viper, and that beautiful canopy.

Edited by Teleblaster

I found the handling in the Viper feels really strange to me. I really like the plane, but the FCS in the Viper just feels weird to me. The F-18 feels better, imo, and it being center stick like my homepit probably helps a bit, too.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

How so? :huh:

I always felt the A-10C is closer to the Air Force designwise, as it does things the air force way (e.g. A-A missile launch through the weapon release button instead of the trigger as the navy does).

It is just something about the design, the layout, control functions etc.

But I believe it is about F-16 never been designed to be upgradable as it has been done, its designers have told that it was purposely made so small and tight that you simply can't upgrade it. And that limitation likely is the reason for its design and layouts that are heavily restricting it to be so much different from other aircrafts like Hornet, Harrier, Warthog etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The F-18 feels better, imo, and it being center stick like my homepit probably helps a bit, too.

Ain't it odd how the joystick position helps to adapt to given airframe? I use to have a easily movable joystick position from side to center (planning to make it back to such again). And it made huge difference to fly F-16 when you had joystick at the side. But as I lately have been mainly flown helicopters, trainers etc (old school) I have not had will to complete the VR flight chair design.

Edit: Forgot to add a tip. If someone wants to make a super sturdy and super simple way to move a joystick, throttle or basically any attachment quickly around, use Arca Swiss quick release plates from the photography market. The Really Right Stuff (RRS) is the original designer and manufacturer, but luckily they didn't never patent the design/system. So they allowed it to become de-facto system. And differences are that for RRS system one pays easily hundreds, when a after-market cheaper (and yet excellent and compatible) chinese variants costs around ten.

The camera equipments are designed to withhold from a few kilograms to tens of kilograms weights and are required to hold up all the equipment completely steady (long exposures and all), in all kind weather conditions and so on.

So one can build up with a couple pieces a completely sturdy quick clamp system where example it takes few seconds to move a joystick from center mount to side mount. You literally just loosen one clamp with couple knob rotations and move it to another clam and tighten there. Build a few extension blocks with these attachments and you can have your center mounted joystick right between legs, and quickly move it to side, even when wearing VR and while you are jumping from Hornet to Falcon.

Edited by Fri13
Added a tip.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Hornet. I think it's beautiful and capable. I voted Viper because after flying the Viper the Hornet feels like a pig. The viper is just more capable. I love the option for carrier ops, and any time that I can use carrier ops I will always enjoy flying the Hornet. Once im in the air tho, the hornet just feels like a lazy viper that's over weight and slow. In the air the Viper can just do more. When I started using the Hornet in missions to be a budget F16 for the features alone until the F16 is up to spec, I realized I liked the viper more.

Best Complement: "You fly like a Psychotic 5 year old" :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

for the look= viper

everytihng else= hornet

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I just can’t vote on this as the viper has some way to go where the hornet is feature rich. I love the bubble cockpit in the viper and the single throttle with one massive engine but I also love the size of the hornet, it’s carrier capabilities. I prefer the flight control of the hornet but then the viper is a monster and when it comes to speed. Aggghhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Viper. She's beautiful while the (super)Hornet is an ugly turd that got shoved down the Navy's throat by Cheney's bureaucratic bullshit and killed the (super)Tomcat.

Viper and Tomcat are the only 2 modules you need to cover everything (when the Viper is closer to completion)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edited by Dannyvandelft

I just can’t vote on this as the viper has some way to go where the hornet is feature rich. I love the bubble cockpit in the viper and the single throttle with one massive engine but I also love the size of the hornet, it’s carrier capabilities. I prefer the flight control of the hornet but then the viper is a monster and when it comes to speed. Aggghhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't read my first post.

Buzz

Hornet, carrier landings, and I just like two engines.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Hornet. I'm a Blue Angels and Naval Ops fanatic so the choice is easy :smilewink:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y