Interesting read on 109s handling characteristics...

Is that the correct link?

I think maybe you meant this one? :

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/guest-bloggers/newly-restored-messerschmitt-bf109g-flies-test-pilot-shares-experience.html

;) :)

PS: Very interesting read, especially the vicious take off characteristics. ;)

Edit:

Lol, this quote says it all:

Aces said that if you survived the takeoff, you would likely survive the landing. Most pilots get out of the cockpit after a successful flight with a sheepish look on their face. They would look the same if a semi-truck ran a red light at 100kph and just missed them.
:D
Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Yep! That's the one Sporg! Thx for the prompt correction and meant link. I just updated my post ;-)

NP :) :thumbup:

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

"The Bf109 rudder must be frenetically moved to maintain heading on takeoff, never allowing the aircraft to diverge. It has been said that if the direction of take-off roll is allowed to change, one must not try to correct, but instead accept the new heading until off the ground. Attempts to correct with strong opposite rudder result in such severe oversteer, that the ensuing high-speed ground loop toward the other direction could be deadly."

I think ED nailed it really good here.

The G-lock modelling should be improved though:

"The geometry of the 4-point seat belt attachment is perfect for emergency negative G flight. Get ready to laugh at G forces. Let all the Spitfire pilots burst their blood vessels straining in their upright seats. Did you think this anti-G posture was invented with the F16?"

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

• 3 weeks later...

Great article. Amazing how well a job ED did with the FM. I found myself reading the article and nodding my head going "Yep, thats it, thats how it handles exactly" like I was a real Bf109 pilot or something...lol

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I love this:

the Darth Vader of aviation.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Thanks for the read Jcomm!! Really interesting one, and yeah, I also felt like, "wow, that's exactly how DCS 109 behaves". Everyone should read that before rushing into forums complaining about the beast.

The G-lock modelling should be improved though:

"The geometry of the 4-point seat belt attachment is perfect for emergency negative G flight. Get ready to laugh at G forces. Let all the Spitfire pilots burst their blood vessels straining in their upright seats. Did you think this anti-G posture was invented with the F16?"

Well, I won't speak about how G-forces should be or shouldn't in the current module. Anyway, interesting viewpoint from the writer. IIRC, seat position in 109 is just a coincidence. There is no spare room for a "better" or proper, seated position in the 109. Some people here shall correct me should they know better about it, but I never read anything about Messerschmitt designed the seat on purpose, 190 may be, though.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 2 weeks later...
IIRC, seat position in 109 is just a coincidence. There is no spare room for a "better" or proper, seated position in the 109.

I had the pleasant opportunity to sit in a real 109 once. Well, Buchon, anyway. Same cockpit. Fit me like a glove, and I'm not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination. It was really quite comfortable for me, compared with fighters with bigger cockpits such as the P-47 and P-39 (which I also got to try on). As far as I'm concerned, the 109's only major flaw as a fighter was the rear visibility. Absolutely terrible.

A great read, thanks!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 1 month later...

Brilliant read! But it raises a few questions:

- How far do you advance the throttle on takeoff? 1.3 should be enough I hear

- How fast do you do this?

- At what point do you lift the tail? 1.3 or before?

- According to this article, raising the tail slowly, not with a harsh movement helps with the veering tendency?

I think ED really nailed it. I flew 109s in every sim that's ever been released, and the only one where I fear takeoffs like it's the first, is DCS. It really reflects the behavior I've read so much about.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed that. :) Thanks for sharing it.

"The aircraft is saying, ”Do I have your attention yet? Because in a minute, I will demand all your courage, all your love of country, and a laser focus to fully utilize the forces I am about to reveal to you.”...

Most pilots get out of the cockpit after a successful flight with a sheepish look on their face."