Spitfire ground handling updated in 2.1?

• 5 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

My 2c worth.....

I love the Spitfire - however - the ground handling needs to be sorted IMHO.

I'm certainly no expert, but have several hundred hours RL power, including 100hrs or so tail dragging - but nothing with this horse power!. Of course, I could be missing the final 'tweak' that works for me but there's something not quite right about the MKIX takeoff run.

I do suspect that 1939 pilots with this flight model, wouldn't have survived beyond operational conversion units!!

Okay, the wheels are closer than the Mustang, for example, but the handling is light years away by comparison! No probs on T/O or landing in that one.

My issue combines 'handling' and marketing. The Spitfire may well (as it should) attract many new pilots - but if the ground handling dynamic issues aren't sorted, many pilots will end up totally disillusioned and won't use it!

Just a personal opinion, that's all......

EDIT - I do use VR, which lacks peripheral vision, this may be a contributing factor!

This. What's the point of having the spitfire if its just too damned hard to get off the ground?

This needs to be sorted out. Even level flight is next to impossible. If it was really like this to fly they woudnt have issued pilots maps because taking one glance to work out where you were and you'd buy the farm.

Have you guys tried adjusting your controller's response curves? Because some controllers are just too sensitive and twitchy at default.

Anyway, what counts here is whether the Spit behaves realistically or not, meaning you need to present tangible evidende supporting your claim if you want anything changed. Mere feelings and opinions are not enough.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Even level flight is next to impossible. .

Sounds like you have configuration problems.

Spitfire flies straight-and-level hands off for me. I flew it over the channel and back recently like it was a GA aircraft. (

)

Consider reducing the saturation on all your input axis. The default of 100% saturation does not work for the spitfire.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Yes,same here,no problems with the Spit F/M at all,it's a beauty,in flight you must trim the aircraft,are you doing this ?

Also,re ground handling and take off,another must do,is to dial in a full hard right trim on the rudder,to counter act the Merlin's inertia pull to the left,and have the elevator trim set at neutral.When airborne re trim the rudder back,to correct the 'Slip and Turn' indicator instrument.

Another tip when ground handling is to as they call it 'dance on the rudder pedals'when wanting to keep the aircraft in a straight line.By this you tap the rudder left,right,left,right,left,right (you get the picture)as you taxi to keep the aircraft going straight line.

Flying the DCS Spit is a joy,it's IMO,the best Spitfire flight model of any sim out there and I have flown most,Cliffs Of Dover,A2A Sims etc.

I agree with Phil,the Spit flies straight and level for me too,hands off,so if you are witnessing problems,as he has stated these must be down to your control inputs,the flight model is beautifully recreated IMO,no problems here.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

• ED Team
Hey Guys,

My 2c worth.....

I love the Spitfire - however - the ground handling needs to be sorted IMHO.

I'm certainly no expert, but have several hundred hours RL power, including 100hrs or so tail dragging - but nothing with this horse power!. Of course, I could be missing the final 'tweak' that works for me but there's something not quite right about the MKIX takeoff run.

I do suspect that 1939 pilots with this flight model, wouldn't have survived beyond operational conversion units!!

Okay, the wheels are closer than the Mustang, for example, but the handling is light years away by comparison! No probs on T/O or landing in that one.

My issue combines 'handling' and marketing. The Spitfire may well (as it should) attract many new pilots - but if the ground handling dynamic issues aren't sorted, many pilots will end up totally disillusioned and won't use it!

Just a personal opinion, that's all......

EDIT - I do use VR, which lacks peripheral vision, this may be a contributing factor!

Probably yes.

Every time returning to this problem for the new forum members... so, I need to clarify the things again, that it's not a problem of FM itself, it's a problem of acceleration info lack in the sim.

In RL you begin to counteract any tendency to break before it managed to develop any noticable angle of yaw (on the ground, I mean). And this reaction is rather instinctive motoric like a reaction as you walking on ice, for example. So, it means that the plane can not be so far in yawing that it is unrecoverable.

In the sim you have to train this "special feel" using only visual perception channel - and it's no necessary in RL but you can train it in the sim as well.

Please keep in mind that real Spit ground handling is always brake-assisted and the better way to start TO run is to build +8 lb in 3 seconds to have enough power to counteract breaks.

And, by the way, it's not a Spit but it's 109 with unlocked tailwheel

A good idea is to have wheel brake axis on the joystick you use as convenient as it can... it really works.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team

And, by the way, if somebody has problems with ground handling, escpecially after touchdown - try to use 30-35% of fuel load... it's just a different plane. No mistics - less normal reaction, so less destabilised forces of the mainwheels.

Then, there will be no problem to add the weight gradually day after day... :)

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

And, by the way, if somebody has problems with ground handling, escpecially after touchdown - try to use 30-35% of fuel load... it's just a different plane. No mistics - less normal reaction, so less destabilised forces of the mainwheels.

Then, there will be no problem to add the weight gradually day after day... :)

Will surely test it that way Yo-Yo, but I have already mastered takeoffs & landings on all of the DCS ww2 warbirds :-)

I'm now learning systems, performance, optimized use at different altitudes and loads, depending on the objectives. That's completely new to me :-)

Don't own the Normandy, yet, but that will come with time ... Tasting "good food and good wine" must be done with time!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...