TM Warthog Profile?

Hey there, anyone actually go and reconfigure the profile for the TM Warthog? I see lots of profiles on here for the cougar and G940 and X52 ect ect but no profiles made for the TM Warthog. I am just curious to see if anything has been created better then the default in DCS A10. Thanks

There was one floating around for TARGET but, It really messed me up trying to use it. Supposedly it mapped all of the default keys and added a few to the mic switch but, it didn't work well for me. I would just like default controls plus mic switch up for external push to talk key. Waiting on TARGET to get out of RC phase to really dig into that software.

Burner

Intel Core i7 9700 @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, HOTAS Hornet, Virpil CM2 Base, MFG Rudders , HP Reverb Pro

Don't need to do a whole lot to the default in game config, ED did a nice job of it.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Ok i'll start off with the explenations:

There are several problems when developing a profile for DCS Warthog:

First and foremost (which is actual a structial problem of the HOTAS): Someone at Thrustmaster made the fabilous to only let the software emulate ONE device... which results in too few Direct X buttons to map for every switch of the HOTAS. To circumvent this shortcomeing of the TARGET software i tried mapping as many buttons as possible with Direct X buttons favouring those switches that stick to thier postions (think EAC engage), or which have to be held in place (think china hat forward).

The second problem is that there is no "map all dx buttons" like there used to be in Foxy, how could there be, since the device has more switches than dx buttons also not every function in the usual default profiles for the HOTAS Warthog is present in the default joystick file, so without edting the luas it is not possible to map some buttons in game to HOTAS switches on the Combined device like on the seperat Joystick and Throttle devices.

Because there is no default mapping for the HOTAS combined device on TARGET, there is no default mapping in DCS Warthog, which means you have to make your own. Also, the in game mapping is.... well difficult ingame, after several tries i fell back to just editing the lua file (the choice to show the different profiles for different devices in a table and yet safe and load them independly almost drove me insane .. not intuitive at all).

To solve, or rather circumvent the current shortcomings i have included a DCS Warthog combined default lua in the package, you need to copy it into your DCS Warthog directory, subdirectory Config\Input\Aircrafts\A-10C\joystick and, if present, delete the current profile (the filename contains a HID identifier.. something along the lines of "Thrustmaster Combined {F4D2B570-FD8D-11df-8002-444553540000}.lua" ).

Also because not every function of the hotas is present in the you'll have to assign keyboard presses to certain functions in the game:

LALT+s to "Landing gear warning silence"

LALT+i to "Left Enging Oper Ign / Norm"

RALT+i to "Right Enging Oper Ign / Norm"

(i hope i have not forgot one - if something doesnt work - check if there is a keycombination assigned to the function in game)

Of course you are free to map different keyboard combinations, but remember to change them in the TARGET file, also.

I would have liked to map the ministick as two axis to use the "shifted" axis as view device, sadly DCS does not support this behaviour with anything but a mouse. You can edit it into the luas, but then the axis reaction will be greatly exaggerated compared to the mouse, using a curve or y-axis saturation to reduce this behaviour results in very choppy movement of the view since every single value change for the axis results in a single jump of the viewpoint. I have yet to understand why normal joystick devices in DCS are only mappable as absolute view changes (which is fine for a trackir like device but terrible for a ministick).

I also tried mapping the shifted ministick as mouse emulation which works reasonably well in game (if you tune the the y-axis saturation and curve WAY down - the joystick mouse needs to move only a few pixels per second in windows to result in a controlable viewpoint movement whereas actual mouse movement seems to be interpreted differently in game - why i do not know). Buuut there is a bug in the TARGET implementation which causes the virtual mouse to jump erracticly when using MAP_RELATIVE and remapping the axis with button presses. This causes the view to jump all around the place the first time the mouse cursor moves after every press of the shift button.

Anyway this is why i have mapped S4 as a shift button which toggles the ministick between slewing the cursor and viewing around via the keypad keys 2,4,6 and 8. Not perfect at all, but better than nothing. Ah and lest i forget the friction axis defaults to a zoom view axis.

The profile package can be found here:

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/14359/

I hope this saves you some head aches i had in the past few days (plug in and play.... as long as you dont have the crazy idea to actually use the joystick software.... :( ). Of course i am interested in any feedback you like to give.

Madog

Edited by Madog

• 1 month later...

Is there a reason you use TARGET? Is there a point im missing?

I haven't even installed TARGET yet. The default Warthog joystick and throttle LUAS work fine. Some adjustments on the slew axis and you are ready for takeoff.

You are welcome to my DCS A-10 server "Ugly Bastards".

I would just like default controls plus mic switch up for external push to talk key. Waiting on TARGET to get out of RC phase to really dig into that software.

Most software I have come across allow you to assign a direct X button to things like PTT. I have my 'Mike switch up' assigned as PTT in Team speak and the joystick pinky lever as TrackIR center.

You have to make sure that no buttons are already pressed on the throttle when you go to select the PTT key. The easiest way to achieve that is to look at the Windows Game controller properties window for the throttle and play around with the switch settings until all the little red lights go out on the property page, (note that there are two 'hidden' buttons activated when the throttle is at the off position).

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Intel i7 920 Corsair H70 water cooled @4GHz), Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel, Nvidia GTX780, OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD (for OS+DCS), TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS + Saitek Rudder

Most software I have come across allow you to assign a direct X button to things like PTT. I have my 'Mike switch up' assigned as PTT in Team speak and the joystick pinky lever as TrackIR center.

You have to make sure that no buttons are already pressed on the throttle when you go to select the PTT key. The easiest way to achieve that is to look at the Windows Game controller properties window for the throttle and play around with the switch settings until all the little red lights go out on the property page, (note that there are two 'hidden' buttons activated when the throttle is at the off position).

The Mike switch is also a push button ;)

Edited by Abbath

You are welcome to my DCS A-10 server "Ugly Bastards".

• 6 years later...
I don't find a working link to the profile. Can you help?

That profile, if you could download it, would not work. It is nearly six years old and the file structure for the lua files has changed significantly since then.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I have created a TARGET profile that applies to all DCS aircraft and includes MFD assignments. It addresses the DirectX shortage by using modifiers and reassigning keyboard commands to certain DX functions. I also modified some of the switches on the Warthog throttle base to act as dual function, namely the fuel flow switches that you rarely use are alternate functions and the primary functions of these switches are master arm and gun arm. I have also remapped functions to allow a full keyboard input for the CDU when using that SmartView.

You can find the script in my signature.