IR issue since last open beta (2.5.4.30038)

ChuckJäger

I found this post from a while ago.

I have been deleting my saved game metashader folder and FXO folder but haven't deleted and repaired/ cleaned up the ones in the actual game folders. I followed what was suggested on this thread and it worked. Here is a pic after deleting, repairing and cleanup. (see my previous post for my before pics) Blobs are gone at least for now.

The post---->> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=231876&highlight=fxo+metashaders

Hope it helps

After.thumb.png.ecc80d470aaa54443fe38ef21a3df29e.png

Asus Prime 390A, Intel I7-8700k@4.8ghz, 32g ram, Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070, Track IR5, SSD(DCS dedicated), HDD for Win 10. TM Warthog 78051 Track IR5 Thrustmaster pedels

Hi lahsoldier,

Can you clarify precisely what you did in sequential steps? I think the FXO thread is rather unclear.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

Whenever I update it is as simple as:

1. Deleted the fxo and metashaders2 folders from saved games

2. Go to the shaders folder in your installed game folder (in my case it is E:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders)

3. Delete the fxo folder

4. Delete the metashader folder

5. Use SkateZilla's update utility to clean and repair

:thumbup:

I always do step 1 (without clean and repair) - only do the other steps if I hit an issue

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I actually think it's looking much more realistic like that IF that was the explosion. As it stands, they should reduce the delta between the hot smoke and the environment, but increase the "temperature index" of the explosion, so we still have a more localized whiteout for a few seconds after the explosion.

FLIR doesnt see smoke.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

FLIR doesnt see smoke.
It should, if it's smoke coming from fire and much hotter that the surrounding environment, it'll still register. It's not hot enough to cause a whiteout though. I'm talking about the smoke at the base of the fire, maybe the upper part of the stack will be cooler down and thus invisible to FLIR. FLIR sees through a smokescreen just fine, because it's not hot.

What we get now is like an overly exaggerated version of hot air above the destroyed vehicle, it's not even consistent with the smoke cloud.

We should get whiteouts, but originating from the explosion flash and lasting only for a few seconds.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

2. Go to the shaders folder in your installed game folder (in my case it is E:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders)

3. Delete the fxo folder

I always do step 1 (without clean and repair) - only do the other steps if I hit an issue

^^^This is what that video is saying to do and what I did. I also deleted the terrain metacaches for each map, e.g. Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs.

Edited by lahsoldier

Asus Prime 390A, Intel I7-8700k@4.8ghz, 32g ram, Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070, Track IR5, SSD(DCS dedicated), HDD for Win 10. TM Warthog 78051 Track IR5 Thrustmaster pedels

Thanks so much, both! Unfortunately it did not fix the issue on my end. Not sure if it matters, but I am still on the 2.5.4 build, so might be why. No idea.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

Not sure either. Im on the most recent version and it seemed to work fine. Did you catch the last edit I did where I added the part about the maps metachache deletions?

It should, if it's smoke coming from fire and much hotter that the surrounding environment, it'll still register. It's not hot enough to cause a whiteout though. I'm talking about the smoke at the base of the fire, maybe the upper part of the stack will be cooler down and thus invisible to FLIR. FLIR sees through a smokescreen just fine, because it's not hot.

What we get now is like an overly exaggerated version of hot air above the destroyed vehicle, it's not even consistent with the smoke cloud.

We should get whiteouts, but originating from the explosion flash and lasting only for a few seconds.

No. It shouldn't its also the particle size not just temp, plus those particles cool instantly. Look at Vis vs IR around the 50 sec mark.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

3. Delete the fxo folder

I tried this and it worked - once. Literally.

Restarted the game in VR, and it's broken again. Either running the game with Oculus, or just running it for a second time, breaks the IR effects.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

No. It shouldn't its also the particle size not just temp, plus those particles cool instantly. Look at Vis vs IR around the 50 sec mark.

Fair enough, I just assumed it'd see a little bit of the hot smoke. Even better if we eventually get it as it's in that video. Really, just a mild moderate whiteout while the fireball is visible seems enough then. Maybe a more severe whiteout if you're very zoomed in etc. Also having hot spots for burning vehicles.

I'd also expect that the Litening 2 and ATFLIR, being modern pods, would be less affected than the LANTIRN.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Fair enough, I just assumed it'd see a little bit of the hot smoke. Even better if we eventually get it as it's in that video. Really, just a mild moderate whiteout while the fireball is visible seems enough then. Maybe a more severe whiteout if you're very zoomed in etc. Also having hot spots for burning vehicles.

I'd also expect that the Litening 2 and ATFLIR, being modern pods, would be less affected than the LANTIRN.

Its more complicated than "more modern"=better. Generally the trend in FLIR has been "cheaper=better" I'm not sure if Lantrin uses cooled detectors vs uncooled detectors on the more modern stuff, but the cooled detectors were very good performance wise, just very expensive to build and maintain. Uncooled detectors are less sensitive, but much cheaper.

Part of the reason FLIR sees through stuff is "particle size"/density versus the actual wavelength of the "light".

Right now the current "flir" mask in DCS doesn't really do a good job of representing FLIR, which is why they are making the new model. The way NVG's work is a bit better but also have various realism issues, especially in VR. FOV issues, bright lights issues etc.

Edited by Harlikwin

3. Delete the fxo folder

I try this solution and now it's worst.... now when the mav is targeting an area with burning vehicles, I have a full green screen, can't see nothing...

So I try a fresh full reinstallation, and nothing better... full green screen :cry::music_whistling:

Not sure either. Im on the most recent version and it seemed to work fine. Did you catch the last edit I did where I added the part about the maps metachache deletions?

HALLELUJAH!

I read this in bed last night, got up today before work and decided to go through the process again and delete the metacaches as well. Went into a quick flight, delivered a GBU-12 on target and it's fixed! :D You guys are rockstars, thank you very much!

HALLELUJAH!

I read this in bed last night, got up today before work and decided to go through the process again and delete the metacaches as well. Went into a quick flight, delivered a GBU-12 on target and it's fixed! :D You guys are rockstars, thank you very much!

Excellent!!!

ok I'll try after work the "terrain metacaches fix", but if after a totally fresh reinstallation it wasn't fixed, I doubt that it will change something…. Hope Mode ON :-)

Good luck. I would do the whole procedure again from the saved games folders, repair, clean up and terrain metas. If that doesn't do it then maybe make sure latest drivers for graphics?? Im sure you have done that already but just throwing out a hope its simple.

Hi again,

So I've done the whole procedure (and yes my drivers are the latest version ;-)), it changes nothing… the most disapointing is when I've updated my graphics drivers, it was fixed but juste for one try… second time I've running DCS after that, the bug was here again… and it was just the "ugly white smoke bug"... but now after all those manipulations (delete fxo, repair, etc...), it's worst… when the mav is targeting a zone with burning vehicles, the mav's screen come full green and I see nothing…

And still no reaction from ED team…. that's the most disapointing… I'll wait tomorrow's patch, and if not fixed I think I'm done with DCS for a moment…

In every case a big thanks for your help guys :-)

May be worth checking the F-18 forum to see if this is on there (it might be a different issue to the A-10c smoke one)

One such thread is https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=232742 - definitely the issue you have (solved by deleting fxo and metashader folders but there might be others). Also worth contacting Nineline and asking hem

Edited by hornblower793
Added thread link

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

You guys are rockstars, thank you very much!

Glad to be of service - I have got so many tips from the forums it is nice to be able to help:thumbup:

May be worth checking the F-18 forum to see if this is on there (it might be a different issue to the A-10c smoke one)

One such thread is https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=232742 - definitely the issue you have (solved by deleting fxo and metashader folders but there might be others). Also worth contacting Nineline and asking hem

Hi,

sorry this picture was for the Hornet section, I was in the two threads in same time and this is what happen :-)

I'm quasi sure that is the same bug in the 2 case, because both for A10 and hornet I have juste the bug off ugly smoke before repaire, and then after repair and fxo / metashader cleaning, I have the green (for hornet) and white (for A10C) screen.

A question:

when I do the repair, I've seen that the openbeta is copying files from stable version… can the bug comme from this?... is there a way to repair without copying files from another instance?

And I'll be glad to contact Nineline… how do I do this? (I'm a rooky in forum discussions sorry :smartass:)

Thanks guys :thumbup:

Find a post by NineLine (easiest way is the weekend news thread in the Official Updates section) and then left click on his name. The second option listed should then be to send him a Private Message where you can ask about this issue (give him all the detail you can about what you have already done in terms of deleting, clearing out folders etc. and the fact you then get the green screen back) - also tell him that this happens with both the F-18 and the A-10c. Don't know how quickly he can respond to PMs with all the forum moderation he has to do but I am sure he will.

What graphics card and driver version are you running?

Are you running any mods?

I only run the OB version now so don't know about the copying - I then use SkateZilla's update gui if I ever need to change to the stable version (saves a ton of disk space for me). I do know that DCS will always try to copy files if possible rather than download them.

Hi,

thanks for your answer :-)

I've a GTX9700 graphic card, with last drivers (I try also a totally new installation of drivers, but change nothing)

I had one mod initially (deck crew mod), but when I try the repair / cleaning / fresh install, I've had it deleted, and… nothing change…

I'll try to send a message to NineLine, but first I'll wait for today's update, perhaps with a loooooot of chance it will be fixed (Hope Mode hi hi)

Another last question: where do you find SkateZilla's update gui?

Thanks a lot one more time :-)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

I now keep this thread permanently bookmarked:D