Fire extinguisher test system

if I enable the fire extinguisher test system and the squib test switch on the same panel and turn the rotary to the 3rd position (from the left) there's a loud bang, a puff of smoke comes from the exhaust and the co-pilot and engineer dies.

can anyone tell me what exactly happens?

what is squib test?

Hello,

yes, at first you fired a bottle, leave the left switch in the lower position if you are performing a test. The upper position means the system is ready and you turn the knob, it energizes the squib - an ignitor- which breaks a diaphragm and the fire ext. agent can leave the bottle. There are two cartridges for each bottle (if one does not work, there is a second chance) or a second bottle in the sytem, thats why you have two positions for the right switch (pos 1 & 2 ). The agent contains halon or bromide or such stuff and you can really die if you breath this.

So keep in mind, if you are performing the test, left switch down.

It's dangerous and you have to leave the area and a lot of work after in real.

Edited by Beta Sokol

Halon won't kil you, it's the bromide acid that can cause damage. Although not advisable, you can stay in a room that is being filled with halon but generally not recommended :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

maybe a heart attack to the copilot once he realized what he did, specially what he did in a Soviet heli?

Jokes aside, Ive activated the extinguishers more times than you think, im sure american engineers have more than 2 safety systems all dedicated to not extinguish while testing on their own nimble helis

Edited by alfredo_laredo

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

I have a PDF on this I think. I will post it here when I get a chance.

EDIT: DONE! My old training presentation on the Mi-8 Fire Protection System is attached to this post.

Thanks! Very interesting:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup: