Rotors making clapping noise at low speed and level flight/very slow descent

D4n

Does anyone know what exactly causes the rotors to make that strange (frightening) clapping sound? I keep an eye on my rotor RPM and it's totally fine.

All I could find about it in the doc is

page 274

At airspeeds below 50 kph, the helicopter develops

vibrations, which disappear as airspeed is reduced further.

What causes these rotor-vibrations? (Which aerodynamics phenomenon?)

The Gazelle rotor doesn't make such sound for example...

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Yes, thanks, my guess it's the "Blade-vortex interaction noise" in the Mi-8, but I still wonder why it occurs specifically at around 50 km/h.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Yes, thanks, my guess it's the "Blade-vortex interaction noise" in the Mi-8, but I still wonder why it occurs specifically at around 50 km/h.

Transition Effekt.

This occurs when you come out of forward flight slowly into Hover and from Hover into forward flight aswell. And is absolutely normal but a more critical Flight phase, because on some Helicopters this Transition can be relative short and the Pilot needs a bunch of attention especialy on the Collective and the pedals.

The Wikipedia link Razor linked to you is more about Noise reduction overall to make Helicopters inflight less Noisy…The EC-155 is a good example on how Noisy Helicopters can be.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Weird the DCS Gazelle doesn't have that transition

Weird the DCS Gazelle doesn't have that transition

It does it's just not as loud but it is still there. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hmmmm okay. I turned cockpit vibration to 0% now (default was 50%), now it should be fine. thanks.

Great :-)

Don't start a thread about falling out of the sky as you slow and descend though - above the speed at which the vibrations occur you can descend as fast as you want (within reason), below that speed you're at risk of VRS and a quick exit from the game.

The shudder's a useful reminder...

Cheers.

shudder always appears in Mi-8, it's inevitable (as stated on page 274). DCSKa-50 just doesn't have it that bad.

Shouldn't do that. Not realistic and you'll lose a useful cue for catching the vertical as well.

Yes. Actually I crank it to max. :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Yes noticeable but in VR it is subtle but lets you know when transitioning in or out of translational lift remember it's not like a binary it's a transitional effect depending on relative airspeed over the rotor.

catching the vertical

The vertical what?

And during transition according to manual even only 0.2 m/s ;)

So you mean with increased sinkrate in DCS Mi-8 the visible vibrations increase aswell?

I used to get flown around a lot in helicopters when I was serving in Northern Ireland. That noise always signified us going away from base or arriving. When in base not on patrols ets we could say with some degree of accuracy who was coming in and out. Different noises for other platforms etc. We had Wessex, Lynx, Puma and the odd Chinook for company troop movement.

I know this doesn't help but just a point to make of interest.

I used to get flown around a lot in helicopters when I was serving in Northern Ireland. That noise always signified us going away from base or arriving. When in base not on patrols ets we could say with some degree of accuracy who was coming in and out. Different noises for other platforms etc. We had Wessex, Lynx, Puma and the odd Chinook for company troop movement.

I know this doesn't help but just a point to make of interest.

Actually a very relevant point, I know it's only a sim however I find there is a lot of information to be gained from listening to the rotor sound and the turbine sound when flying helicopters. :thumbup: