How to aim rockets properly

Hello,

A question : how do you aim rockets properly ? I looked at the rocket table overhead, as far as I can understand (I have no clue what's written I can't read cyrillic) I have distances first column, speeds in the second, sight elevation in the third. But is There an indication for a launch altitude anywhere ? And how can you know how far you are from your target ? What are the other indications on the rocket table ?

I have no clue what's written I can't read cyrillic

It is possible to have an english cockpit if you wish.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Set up a mission with a target and make markers with other vehicles or structures at 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 meter distance away.

Set unlimited fuel and ammo and have at it. Make sure to read the manual and learn how to read the diagrams and set the sight. With training, you'll get rockets on target eventually.

There are scripts out there that will help you "score" hits against strafe targets so you know if and how good you hit the target.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you only get a table for the lighter rockets in the cockpit. If you want to use OFP2 rockets (and you should if you're not attacking armored targets), you'll have to consult the manual. Only make sure you're using the good one. I recently noticed the one linked in the forum thread has errors in the tables. Use the one that came with the game.

Bad tables:

http://imgur.com/a/asATI

Good tables:

http://imgur.com/a/BUkW4

In the good tables in the top row you have velocity (100 - 250kph in 50kph increments) and in the left column you have range to target (1000 - 3500m in 500m increments). I understand the green cells are the recommended launch parameters - so 1500 to 2000m at 200kph. Those settings are the ones I use and they work well enough.

Yes I saw those tables in the manual, I even did a small excel file to put in my kneeboard (see attached)

I tried this morning, I start to place rockets in target area, but I must train harder to roughly evaluate target range :smilewink:

1985973255_Rocketstable2.jpg.c51c8a35d2e968aee0aff29790dc591b.jpg

• 1 month later...
Yes I saw those tables in the manual, I even did a small excel file to put in my kneeboard (see attached)

I tried this morning, I start to place rockets in target area, but I must train harder to roughly evaluate target range :smilewink:

[ATTACH]166890[/ATTACH]

Very nice table and a very useful one.

You have to train a couple of things.

1)trim and autopilot adjusting to fly at ~200-220 kmh. Usually with 7-8 degrees cyclic and ~-2 degrees pitch.

2)evaluate the range to the target. You have to understand what 2km is roughly :D

3) adjust your aim. Fire 2 rockets and see where they land. Adjust aim and fire for effect.

S8Kom are the most accurate/far reaching weapon on this helo has. S8OFP do more damage but arc badly and will give more error. The worse weapons are those guv grenade pods. These need lots of practice.

Yeah, I noticed the HEAT S-8s are more accurate than the HE rockets I usually bring. Yesterday I created a Fast Mission to test the new GPS and decided to attack a Grad battery. The mission spawned me with S-8KOM and GUV pods. I figured the KOMs wouldn't perform too well because of their low splash radius and I would have to finish the targets with the machine guns. To my surprise in my first pass I fired two salvos and they went exactly where I aimed them. Then in my second pass I fired another salvo into the last vehicle killing it with a direct hit. Unfortunately soon after I took a 125mm APFSDS round into the APU compartment... long story short, we had to walk it back to the airbase ;).

Thats because KOMs have a greater flight speed when compared to OFP2s.

Just remember. Practice + luck and ofc have fun. IRL a hit closer then 100m with hvar rockets is a good result for helicopters of that era. Your goal is do your mission and have fun while you are doing it.