CASE I Checklist

jrsteensen

May I ask something stupid?

How to know the course of the Carrier ? Runway number stated by ATC over radio? Guessing the course when running upwind along the carrier?

Dial in the TACAN frequency for the carrier. Carrier telemetry will appear in the upper left hand corner of the DDI you have the HSI dedicated to. The course is displayed there and will change as the course of the carrier changes. Once you have the TACAN station and are receiving, use the course setting switch in the upper right corner of the center MFD to set a course arrow through the station allowing you to put that arrow up on the HUD when the TCN is selected and boxed on the HSI.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

DocSigma: I was under impression the TACAN bearing on the HSI was to the carrier from your position, not the heading the carrier is traveling/BRC. no?

You're right. I was mistaken. Apologize.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Here is the updated CL with inputs throughout the thread. I'll be integrating this into my master F/A-18C Checklist I am building.

Holding pattern: 2000ft, 250kts, 5nm left hand circle.

• TACAN to 55X, Box TACAN on HSI, Set CRS to BRC. HSI to 10nm range, RALT to 370, HUD to RALT
  • Drop hook, set bypass to carrier, anti-skid off.

Pattern Entry: 5nm aft, 800ft, 250kt IAS:

• Approach just right of carrier, check deck for clearance.

Downwind break: 1nm forward, 3.5g to midpoint of level break. 250kts by midpoint. Speedbrake as required.

• At 250kts, drop gear and full flaps.
  • End turn at 1.1-1.3nm from centerline of carrier.

Downwind leg: 1.1-1.3nm parallel to carrier. 600ft, Trim to On Speed, Cage HUD, Landing Checklist Complete.

Abeam (See light through aft elevators): Begin approach turn.

Approach turn: 600ft, On Speed, 27-30* AOB, -200 to -300VSI

135: -300 to -400VSI

90: 500ft, On Speed, -400 to -500VSI

45 (Crossing wake of ship): RALT warning heard.

Rolling into groove: Power on/off (Arrest decent), uncage hud, groove 15-18 seconds.

Call ball: <Side number>, 18, Ball (or Clara), Fuel state.

Short Final: Fly ball to touchdown.

Touchdown: MAX power 3 sec. Chop throttle, raise hook, fold wings, clear box.

Bolter/Go-Around: MIL/MAX Power, Climb to 600, turn to downwind maintaining interval with traffic.

Here is the updated CL with inputs throughout the thread. I'll be integrating this into my master F/A-18C Checklist I am building.

Holding pattern: 2000ft, 250kts, 5nm left hand circle.

• TACAN to 55X, Box TACAN on HSI, Set CRS to BRC. HSI to 10nm range, RALT to 370, HUD to RALT
  • Drop hook, set bypass to carrier, anti-skid off.

Pattern Entry: 5nm aft, 800ft, 250kt IAS:

• Approach just right of carrier, check deck for clearance.

Downwind break: 1nm forward, 3.5g to midpoint of level break. 250kts by midpoint. Speedbrake as required.

• At 250kts, drop gear and full flaps.
  • End turn at 1.1-1.3nm from centerline of carrier.

Downwind leg: 1.1-1.3nm parallel to carrier. 600ft, Trim to On Speed, Cage HUD, Landing Checklist Complete.

Abeam (See light through aft elevators): Begin approach turn.

Approach turn: 600ft, On Speed, 27-30* AOB, -200 to -300VSI

135: -300 to -400VSI

90: 500ft, On Speed, -400 to -500VSI

45 (Crossing wake of ship): RALT warning heard.

Rolling into groove: Power on/off (Arrest decent), uncage hud, groove 15-18 seconds.

Call ball: <Side number>, 18, Ball (or Clara), Fuel state.

Short Final: Fly ball to touchdown.

Touchdown: MAX power 3 sec. Chop throttle, raise hook, fold wings, clear box.

Bolter/Go-Around: MIL/MAX Power, Climb to 600, turn to downwind maintaining interval with traffic.

Looks good. Cheers

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Rolling into groove: Power on/off (Arrest decent), uncage hud, groove 15-18 seconds. VVI should align to crotch of ship.

I thought this should be power OFF/ON? As you roll level you gain lift, so reduce throttle to prevent an increase in altitude and then add power to remain on glideslope.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

According to CNATRA P-1211: Carrier Qualification, Flight Training Instruction:

MARSHAL PATTERN ENTRY

Establish level flight at your assigned altitude 10 nm prior to entering the holding pattern

(Figure 4-1) in balanced formation or as briefed.

MARSHAL HOLDING PATTERN DESCRIPTION

The overhead marshal pattern is a counterclockwise circling pattern tangent to the ship's BRC

with the ship at the 1 o'clock position (Figure 4-2). The pattern is no more than 5 nm in diameter

and no lower than 1,500 ft AGL. In marshal, the flight will remain at max conserve unless

briefed otherwise. Flights in marshal are separated vertically by a minimum of 1,000 ft.