Why F-14b before 14a

Falby

Just curious why HB decided to do the B model before the A model as the

plane that was used for reference seems to be a F-14a of VF-84 Jolly Rogers.

I will add that this is no way a complaint as I'm loving every minute of the F-14b!

An interesting question...

However, according to the BUNO 159437 in the cockpit, it's an F-14A that served with VF-142 and VF-32. I don't see any reference to VF-84.

The cockpit we now have is that of an F-14A considering the level of wear, the BUNO number, aircraft data plate, and the missing digital EGIT. I too am wondering why Heatblur decided to do this instead of modeling an F-14B cockpit from the start?

I am curious to see how the current cockpit will transform into an actual F-14B cockpit. Would a new BUNO, digital EGIT, correct data plate and less aging/wear be all that is needed?

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

An interesting question...

However, according to the BUNO 159437 in the cockpit, it's an F-14A that served with VF-142 and VF-32. I don't see any reference to VF-84.

The cockpit we now have is that of an F-14A considering the level of wear, the BUNO number, aircraft data plate, and the missing digital EGIT. I too am wondering why Heatblur decided to do this instead of modeling an F-14B cockpit from the start?

I am curious to see how the current cockpit will transform into an actual F-14B cockpit. Would a new BUNO, digital EGIT, correct data plate and less aging/wear be all that is needed?

What we have now is an A+ (minus the engine insturments).

For clarification, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong:

F-14A+ = GE engines installed into an existing F-14A

F-14B = Built from the ground-up with the GE engines.

Nope, not really. The first "B's" came out of the factories in the late 80's. The designation for A+ to B didn't come along till the early 90's. Can't tell you when exactly, as i have read of at least 3-4 different accounts, probably a result of pre-digital transfer of information :P

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

If I remember right, May 1, 1991 was when the redesignation went into effect.

I think there was some mention of the BuNo plate in the cockpit being dynamic. Is it different with each skin or different with each flight? I'll have to test this at home.

I looked up BuNo 160889. God, what a hideous livery they put it in. It looks like a knock-off VF-84 scheme painted by a subpar modeler with a decal sheet but no reference photos. From what I could find, looks like it was an F-14A-105-GR that actually served with VF-124 and VF-24 among others. The museum probably only painted it in VF-84 colors due to "popular" demand and to attract tourists. Before this, it was painted in an equally poorly replicated VF-1 livery. I guess HB must have used the cockpit as a reference during research.

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

For all intents and purposes:

F-14A+ <==> F-14B

The F-14A with upgraded engines was the F-14A+. But at some point the USN acquired a logistics software that for some reason or another freaked out or otherwise could not handle "+" part of the label. This would create a logistics nightmare as wrong engine parts would end up in wrong places in the supply chain from factories to depots to ships. So they renamed the model the "F-14B".

What makes it even more confusing is that there was an even earlier version actually called the F-14B as well, but this was a short-lived dead-end experimental variant, that had nothing to do with the F-14A => F-14A+ => F-14D lineage.

BTW, IIRC the below is also discussed in the Fighter Pilot Podcast F-14 episode.

For all intents and purposes:

F-14A+ <==> F-14B

The F-14A with upgraded engines was the F-14A+. But at some point the USN acquired a logistics software that for some reason or another freaked out or otherwise could not handle "+" part of the label. This would create a logistics nightmare as wrong engine parts would end up in wrong places in the supply chain from factories to depots to ships. So they renamed the model the "F-14B".

What makes it even more confusing is that there was an even earlier version actually called the F-14B as well, but this was a short-lived dead-end experimental variant, that had nothing to do with the F-14A => F-14A+ => F-14D lineage.

I imagine the decision to do the B first has at least something to do with releasing the one with more powerful engines before the one that may be a bit more challenging to fly. Call me cynical, but I assume this would draw more early sales from the types that want max capability, and satisfy the historical enthusiasts with the A later.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

I imagine the decision to do the B first has at least something to do with releasing the one with more powerful engines before the one that may be a bit more challenging to fly. Call me cynical, but I assume this would draw more early sales from the types that want max capability, and satisfy the historical enthusiasts with the A later.

To be fair, most people here (present company excluded) probably did want the B more then the A. Add to that the extra complexity of the TF30 power plants simulation and i think it was in the end an ok decision. I did (and still do) prefer the A though :smilewink:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I prefer the early A aesthetically, those white undersides and bright markings are irresistible. For actual flying I'd love to have both eventually to explore the challenges, don't have strong opinions personally on getting the B first. It seems like internally they'll look more or less the same anyway.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Simply because it made sense development wise to make the full package first, and then adjust for the A. Like that you got Lantirn, for example and so on. And in parts simply how things fell into place to facilitate development. So yes, for the time being it is a little bit of a patchwork still, simply as part of the development evolution. The Buno is just examplary and not meant to point at the correct aircraft it was modeled on (although it played a role). Those things like correct buno number, etc, are just super low on the priority list atm, once we have the EIG, A model and so on, it will make more sense to take a second look at such mini-details. Hope that makes sense.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I prefer the the b model to the A and I am glad they did it how they did.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

• 1 month later...

I am kinda hoping when the A comes out, the current cockpit goes to it and there's a less weathered version for the default B.

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

But if you were a newly-minted and winged nugget pilot and were assigned to the RAG in 1989, you would never have flown the A anyway so this argument is silly.

Considering the F-14A was still in service in 1989 and remained in service until 2005, yeah, a nugget pilot probably got training in the A, especially if the fleet squadron they were planned to go to flew that version.

In 1998 F-14A BuNo 161445, flown by a student pilot training with VF-101, collided with instructor-flown F-14B BuNo 163218 during a night time interception exercise. So newly-minted nuggets continued to train in the F-14A until there weren't any As left in the fleet.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Why?

Longest serving and most common variant, only F-14 variant with any recorded air-to-air victories, first variant to drop bombs in anger, only Tomcat version featured as a centerpiece in any movies, only Tomcat "everyone's" favorite squadron flew. I can understand the enthusiasm. Don't kink shame.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Because they spent huge money developing it (reportedly a million or more) and needed to get a return on their investment. Thus they chose the best performing version of the Tomcat (currently available) first, so that it would make a good impression on the module and therefore making people want to buy it on release day.

And it worked very well. The reception was ravenous to say the least.

I am looking forward to the A though.

Edited by CommanderRabb

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

Longest serving and most common variant, only F-14 variant with any recorded air-to-air victories, first variant to drop bombs in anger, only Tomcat version featured as a centerpiece in any movies, only Tomcat "everyone's" favorite squadron flew. I can understand the enthusiasm. Don't kink shame.

Not shaming just curious to the reason. Why you assume i'm kinking shame. It is a legitimate question to Raised by Wolves not you.