My own bombs have killed me

I created a mission in which I drop bombs onto a convoy, but sometimes, according to what I read at the end of the mission, it seems that my own bombs kill me!

Here is an example:

${1}

If the player doesn't work:

Maybe I was too low and too slow... I've tried the mission sometimes and it happened more than once.

1201545914_Spitfirekillsitself.thumb.jpg.5716fef817bf2778aec9d47acd6b4f23.jpg

Edited by BlackLightning

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

What do you mean "maybe"? ;) Sure they killed you - you read it in the log and you clearly recorded in the video. Even with a rather mediocre blast damage modelling in DCS, that was waaaaaaaay too low (speed doesn't matter, at this altitude they won't have a chance to drag behind anyway) :D. Since we don't have option of delay fuses in DCS (at least not in US and UK bombs), next time I'd try releasing them twice higher at least.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yes, if I release them at a higher altitude that doesn't happen.

Watching the video, I see that I released them at 35 m of altitude and then I pitched up and, when I was at 43 m, they exploded and killed me. Apparently, in the few seconds needed for them to reach the ground you can't fly away far enough pitching up if you are that low.

So yes, I can only drop them higher, although hitting the target will be more difficult... but still better than exploding! :)

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

Here is another case.

Since I noticed that hitting ground targets with a volley of bullets is exciting and for me, so far, even more effective than dropping bombs, I started to drop bombs and then dive towards the targets in order to hit them with the machine guns and the cannons and, even if my altitude was quite safe for dropping, my own bombs still hit me.

So I thought that maybe I dived into the bombs, i.e. the bombs were not hitting me: I was hitting them. I tried the experiment you can see in the video linked and the theory was confirmed.

${1}

(If the player doesn't work:

)

After all, bombs will fall at not less than -1 g of acceleration (I'm saying "less" because it's a negative value). At the beginning of the fall, the air drag should not affect them vertically, then when they will start being faster the drag will bring that -1 g closer to 0. So let's say -1 g at the release time; the Spitfire can probably dive at something like -2 or -3 g (I am guessing here) and that's why I now think that I should release them and pitch up immediately afterwards or maybe I should start pitching up even a second before the release.

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using: