Why the HUD data in a MFD?

Mule

As the title says and I apologise for what I know sounds like a bone question but I would like to know why that data is in one of the mfds in a lot of F/A-18 videos I see?

My first guess is in those videos they are simply training and do not need all 3 msd's at hand and just fill it with that for redundancy reasons? I know it is available in other aircraft. It just seems to be used a lot in the Hornet.

I guess you could use it when you have a hard time reading the hud because of lighting or maybe a HUD system problem not working??

if i have to guess, its on the videos because other pages arent finished so better show that instead of something wrong/broken. idk.

oops, if u are talking abour RL videos, then i dont know haha.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

It maybe some pages are restricted so cant be recorded so the guy just put an innocuous page up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

It maybe some pages are restricted so cant be recorded so the guy just put an innocuous page up.

sound logic too.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Yeah, I know but why? Is there a specific reason for that?

When you're looking down at the instruments and stuff you can still see your hud indicators.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

i mean, can't the pilot just use JHMCS, since it does give the pilot the speed and altitude indicator. Unless the pilot is landing on a carrier then yea change one of the MFD screens to a HUD repeater.

JHMCS does not give you the FPM and not every hornet has the JHMCS. Aside from that, I guess the JHMCS is more used for combat and not cruising around...

• Like 1

As the title says and I apologise for what I know sounds like a bone question but I would like to know why that data is in one of the mfds in a lot of F/A-18 videos I see?

One guy flying these things, when guiding me in the WTSAT, noted that he found it more comfortable to fly on DDI ("Digital Display Indicator", the name for the two upper displays), as you keep your eyes in when doing so. The HUD symbology is in distance, so it wasn't as comfortable to eyes to glance just quickly. Of course, that was just his opinion.

What may also matter is the video recording: Hornet has two cameras on the canopy frame, recording the DDIs and a camera recording the HUD. In the original config, there were two 8 mm magnetic tape cassettes to store the feed from any two of those at time, the left DDI camera or the HUD camera being selectable for the video record, and right DDI being recorded constantly. Apparently the DDI image was better for some purposes than the "gun camera". I can't remember -even if I should!- if the recording scheme was updated by the time the memory unit brick block was changed to the memory cards...to some annoyance as they are easier to drop into a difficult-to-reach place in the cockpit...

Edited by AKarhu

One guy flying these things, when guiding me in the WTSAT, noted that he found it more comfortable to fly on DDI ("Digital Display Indicator", the name for the two upper displays), as you keep your eyes in when doing so. The HUD symbology is in distance, so it wasn't as comfortable to eyes to glance just quickly. Of course, that was just his opinion.

What may also matter is the video recording: Hornet has two cameras on the canopy frame, recording the DDIs and a camera recording the HUD. In the original config, there were two 8 mm magnetic tape cassettes to store the feed from any two of those at time, the left DDI camera or the HUD camera being selectable for the video record, and right DDI being recorded constantly. Apparently the DDI image was better for some purposes than the "gun camera". I can't remember -even if I should!- if the recording scheme was updated by the time the memory unit brick block was changed to the memory cards...to some annoyance as they are easier to drop into a difficult-to-reach place in the cockpit...

Great insight. Very interesting.

Thanks.

JHMCS does not give you the FPM and not every hornet has the JHMCS. Aside from that, I guess the JHMCS is more used for combat and not cruising around...

What US Hornets don't have JHCMS now? Why is it not used for cruising around, I'm looking for honest answers on this matter.

What US Hornets don't have JHCMS now? Why is it not used for cruising around, I'm looking for honest answers on this matter.

At least around here it is only used when needed, apparently. The regular helmet is apparently more comfortable in ways, plus it is a costly piece of equipment to knock around.

I can't imagine it would be very comfortable having HUD information put right in your face for extended periods. I could be totally wrong but my assumption is it would become tiresome.

• Like 1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz l 32 GB DDR3 l MSI 1080ti l Gigabyte 97ZX l TrackIR + DelanClip l TM Warthog HOTAS l CH Pedals

AV-8B l AJS-37 l A-10A l A-10C l F-15C l F-16C l F-5E l F-14A/B l F-86F l F/A-18C l Hawk l M2000 l MiG 29 l NTTR l Persian Gulf l Su-27 l Su-33 l Su-25 l Supercarrier l L-39 l UH-1 l

In addition to some of the answers brought up here, the obvious one is redundancy. If you look at modern combat jets (by modern, I mean from the 60s onward) you will find that as many systems as possible on a fighter jet are made as redundant as possible. In the case of a system failure, you have a backup system. Sometimes they are tripled or even quadruple redudant, depending on how important they are to allowing the pilot to survive and/or bring the plane home in case of a systems failure or emergency.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

When you're looking down at the instruments and stuff you can still see your hud indicators.

Bingo, we have a winner. Military pilots spend a lot of time "head down" in their radars and other sensors, this allows them to still see critical flight info without looking up. I was told this by a very experienced USAF F-22 flight instructor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

Bingo, we have a winner. Military pilots spend a lot of time "head down" in their radars and other sensors, this allows them to still see critical flight info without looking up. I was told this by a very experienced USAF F-22 flight instructor.

Plus Night Vision Compliance.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

most players will be using thier MFD for more important things.

going into stike attack 1 screen will be l used to have radar mapping, and other for ATFLIR imaging in ground attack, and bottom for navigation. Far more critical when doing such a given task than bothering with MFD HUd repeater.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Plus Night Vision Compliance.
Curuous what do you mean by Night Vision Compliance.?

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses