Has X56 build quality improved significantly under Logitech?

I am in the market for a new HOTAS since I wish to start playing flight sims again. I do not have the budget for a Thrustmaster Warthog or VKB Gunfighter, none the less I do expect a quality product. Will the Logitech X56 be a reliable purchase or should I wait until further build quality updates have been made?

I used to own a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 for more than a decade. This unit was used primarily for space combat simulation and mech combat simulation games and so it was 'thrashed' around almost exclusively during use. It saw possibly thousands of hours of use and never showed any signs of failure.

I have since given it to my cousin and he still praises its quality and prefers it over other sticks.

I expect this type of reliability in any product that I purchase and since I am now in the market for a new HOTAS I have shied away from Saitek because of their notorious build quality and have leaned more toward CH and Thrustmaster. However, since the people at Logitech have a good reputation as far build quality and have acquired Saitek I may consider the X56, despite some button layout issues.

What about the lower tier thrustmaster products t1600 etc

I would be surprised if saitek going to logi did anything to improve their quality

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Edited by jimiC

If you haven't done so you can search for the thread here that was started by a Logitech rep outlining the changes to the X56.

Of those changes I can say with certainty that they did lengthen the wiring so it doesn't bind. I observed this when I had it open to remove some of the adhesive they use to provide friction which was excessive, a problem they said they fixed but did not.If you buy in you should expect that you are going to open the throttle and do the same, you can't fly smoothly as is and refueling is impossible.

I get no ghost presses which was a frequent complaint with the previous iteration and something they said they fixed. This was reportedly for two reasons, lack of power on USB 2.0 and transmigration. I'm on USB 3.0 so cant say if it's fixed on USB 2.0 or not.

My stick does not make any noise at the spring mechanism and moves smoothly without any of the bad feel that was reported as an issue. I can say compared to my Cougar it doesn't feel all that great but it also doesn't feel bad and hasn't caused me any grief.

The claim to have fixed the lighting but mine seems to be good only in the greens and blues. For me this is fine as I like the color to mimic the cockpit lights. If you're an LED lover you may not be good with it.

Build quality seems just ok. I don't feel ripped off at the sub 200 price point but nothing jumps out at me shouting quality.

Overall I actually like having all the options on the throttle as compared to the Couger and the ergos there are pretty good for most of the switch gear. The rocker under the pinkie is an exception, it feels super cheap and cludgey in it's movement and has a much stiffer throw than a pinkie switch should have. The stick ergos are not as good. I'm a big man with big hands and do fine reaching all the hats but those with smaller hands are probably going to find they're stretching up to them by lifting the base of their hand off the rest. I'm not fond of the rudder control but as I don't have anyplace for rudder pedals it was actually one of the reasons I purchased this HOTAS. The thumbsticks on both are too tall making the press function almost impossible to use without also commanding anything you have programmed in on of the directions.

I'm not unhappy with my purchase. Realistically it's about the best you can do at 200 dollars if you are looking at flying complex flight sims but this is more do to the lack of competition than anything else.

I just got my CH Fighterstick couple days ago from Ebay. I must say the stick is the most precision movement stick I've ever have (zero deadzone and very smooth. I like it alot despite its quite big for my hand. You may want to look at it.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Logitech claims they have improved the quality, there has been a rep here posting about it. What I will say is that I had Saitek products for years without any issues. They did, near the end of their lifespan, start to go though (4-5 years). What I'll say is it comes down to how often you use it. If you're using it everyday for hours and hours your lifespan is going to diminish (the Saitek version any how).

I owned the following Saitek HOTAS, most of these turned into hand-me-downs with the exception of the X-52.

X-45

X-52

X-52pro

X-65F

Thank you for all the replies. And thanks crab for that detailed reply.

I think I will look for that thread posted by the Logitech rep.. Otherwise I may settle for the Thrustmaster t16000m.