Mirage or A-10C

CptSparrow1993

Hi! I'm a pretty new member of the DCS community, having finally decided to buy into the game during the summer sale on Steam. I intend to buy the Black Shark and FC3 modules, but I've been debating about whether or not I want to pick up the A-10C module, or the Mirage M-2000C instead.

So, I figured I'd ask the community for some opinions, and hopefully get some help answering my dilemma!

The draw of the A-10C module is that there are a few ready-made DLC campaigns for it that get high reviews, I know it has a game mode for when I just want to have a bit of meaningless fun, and it provides several upgrades to the mission editor (something I like, since I hope to one day create some campaigns of my own).

On the other hand, the Mirage appeals to me because of it's multi-role capability, which allows me to play a2a and a2g with a single aircraft. I don't know if it has a game mode though - can somebody tell me? I'd like to have one so that I can just jump into a mission and have some mindless fun every now and then.

Overall, I'd like to know which module you guys would suggest for someone who is just getting into the DCS franchise, and flight sims in general.

Don't know if the Mirage has a game mode, but you don't need it either for some casual flying. Imo it's learning curve is way less, a lot of simpler systems and weapons deployment. It also has a great campaign, and it's very fun to fly!

A10C more complex, steep learning curve imo, only ground attack, bit has AIM9 for self defence.

Mirage, kinda multi-role, pretty accessible and easy to fly!

Overall, I'd like to know which module you guys would suggest for someone who is just getting into the DCS franchise, and flight sims in general.

If you are new to both DCS and flight sims ... I would suggest: dont purchase any modules yet, instead use the money to purchase a HOTAS and if possible, purchase a headtracking device, this is one of the cheapests:

https://delanengineering.com/shop/DelanClip-Gamer-p43397050

Trust me, you wont enjoy DCS if you dont have a reasonable Hotas and a headtracking device.

Then, after you have these two basic peripherals, invest your time learning (fully) the two free aircrafts that DCS offers .. one, the Sukhoi Su-25T, is FC3 level with no clickable cockpit but can use weapons, and the other has a clickable cockpit but no weapons ... both are excellent to learn, gain experience and see if you do really like DCS, before investing any further.

May I suggest this tutorial series for when you start with the Su-25T ... very complete, and clear enough for a complete novice:

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It really depends on what you enjoy doing the most. The A-10C is pretty much ground attack only, and if that is your thing. Go for that one. While the A-10C has a lot of systems, attacking is actually quite straight forward - point the gun in the right direction and squeeze the trigger lol. It can get a lot more complicated, but it doesn't have to. The hardest part in DCS is finding the enemies, which is easily done if you turn on labels.

If air-to-air dominance is what interests you then FC3 (or any of the individual planes) is great fun.

The mirage is a very fun plane, and top quality module, but it does not have guided bombs or air to ground missiles. So it makes ground attack a bit harder unless you have big or soft targets (or practice straight flying a lot). And the air-to-air missiles have limited range compared to that of the FC3 planes. Which is fine for the campaign it is designed for (for online play this can be a disadvantage tho). The cockpit very nice to sit in, and I found it very easy to learn due to the clickable nature of the cockpit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Trust me, you wont enjoy DCS if you dont have a reasonable Hotas and a headtracking device.

Agreed, and good advice!

I'm a big fan of the A-10C in DCS. Just like in real life, it's there for one job only, and it's really good at it. But it takes some time to learn the basics, and then delving deep into the systems is an endeavor that can easily take years, but is also very fun and rewarding IMHO.

Anyway, the point is, I don't think it makes too much sense to learn several airframes in parallel. I'd rather concentrate on one or two, until I'm kind of mission capable, i.e., having flown some of the single player missions and campaigns that come with most modules, and that might also include some coop fun. There are dedicated aerobatics servers that are perfectly suited to train formation flying in any of the DCS aircraft.

Personally, taking the A-10 on a spin in a simplified game mode just to get a bunch of A/G kills seems pretty boring to me. It's much more fun to fly well designed missions and then make good use of the aircraft's systems and capabilites. And the same goes for all the modules.

So, A-10C or M-2000C? How could you even consider that question? There are more than enough pointy nosed jets out there, nothing special. But something so ugly that the pilots themselves call it the Warthog? Man, that thing has character! :D

personally, get a delanclip, only 30 quid and you will be looking around like mad, once you use a head tracker you will find it impossible to play without one.

a good stick and throttle too, but module fever grabs us all, with or without the needed bits, so......the shark even with its probs, that will be fixed this year, get it, its an awesome copter and the easiest one to fly with no pedals, if you get a TM hog HOTAS you can use the z axis for rudder, I find that really easy to use, mirage or Hog, no contest get the hog and have fun learning it, every module I had I learnt to start without help same day, hog/mi8, all of them, but that aside even as Yurgon said, there's loads of pointy nosed jets, so get one with style!