VR headmovement

birdstrike

Folks should stop worrying about airquake and enjoy the 1to1 the flat screeners do not have. Maybe that rotational exercise is exactly what you need any way ....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Yeah im not suggesting a linda Blair aka Trackir extreme here...but just a slight increase to compensate for the unrealistic Narrow FOV of the rift.

I know it would make me violently ill. It took me a long time to get my VR legs, then I had to get them all over again when I discovered DCS world. I powered through a session and felt sick for 3 days straight. Terrible dizziness that made me think it was a health issue, but it was too familiar to the first time I had to get accustomed to VR.

The FOV is fine for me, I have to look around a little more. The problem I have in VR is now I can spot planes easily, what I can't do easily is identify if they're friend or foe unless I can see them on the radar. If I have to visually identify them from say a WW2 plane, I'd have to get pretty close.

But there are people that can handle a lot more than me in VR. This should be an option to chose if it doesn't make too many people sick. If we tried to keep everything simple for everyone, we wouldn't have ANY free locomotion games, it would all be teleport.

How do you know motion sickness doesn't affect you when you have only ever had 1:1 motion available?

The easiest, and probably the normal way in real world tactical situations is to perform a clearing turn. Turn 90 through degrees, look at the area that used to be behind you, and then turn 90 degrees back the other way.

That, and don't fly straight and level when in combat.

He said he tested a program that essentially simulated the head movement of trackir in his VR headset. If that program works within DCS, I would just use that. It probably doesn't though....

you guys didnt Really Read my First Post right? with opentrack you can have a Trackir like headmovement in dcs with the rift

Ok it's called Opentrack? It works in DCS? Why not just use that in game? Or this is just a suggestion as an option to be integrated into DCS as a menu option?

it's the same principle.

1:1 Head Tracking, Your Head is = to Virtual Head in Movement/Position/Rotation

1:2 / Oversampled, Your Head is not directly linked to Virtual Head Movement/Position/Rotation

Thus Causing Desync,

Same thing as if you were watching a Replay on your rift, and trying to match the head movements on your own, there will be desync when you brain perceives a movement and you see something completely different.

The Desync is what causes motion sickness, which is why earlier units DK units were more prone to motion sickness than Consumer Market Versions, the tracking did not stay synced, and once there was desync and lag in your headmovements, the motion sickness sets in.

The only problem is that the OP said he tested this out in a program that forces the headset to do what he wants and it is not negatively impacting him. He's reporting back his real life experiences and you're spouting off theory. Is his experience worth nothing at all?

the tests with opentrack are giving a different result...i suggest you try it...

i dont get motion sick at all with a slight oversampling of the pitch and yaw axis....and a 1:2 oversampling is really not needed....maybe something like 1:1,3 is all you need to check your 6 without neck strain...and with such little oversampling your brain, or at least mine, has no problem to be convinced that the motion is correct...i dont get sick at all....

this is not true when watching a track in the rift, where a few seconds are enough for me to feel uncomfortable...its really something different....

the only problem with opentrack and dcs is, the way how track ir is implemented with artifiical shoulder size and the tendency to move around the z axis when looking back trying to lean left or right...thus moving around the wrong axis...if i could get rid off this behaviour i would be using opentrack all day long, as the oversampled pitch and yaw axis are absolutely no problem whatsoever and actually feel totally natural....

Now I understand why you don't want to use it in game. Rotation around that axis would make leaning movement very unnatural.

Folks should stop worrying about airquake and enjoy the 1to1 the flat screeners do not have. Maybe that rotational exercise is exactly what you need any way ....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem checking my six in Oculus Rift. I really suck, so I can certainly see the other planes get behind me and shoot me down with missles or guns. But I can also see missles get close, then pull hard and drop countermeasures and see the missle miss because it can't pull the G's. I'll probably notice the shortcoming when I get much better, but right now I'm a noob who doesn't know better. I'm just happy I can land on a regular basis right now.

• 2 weeks later...
He said he tested a program that essentially simulated the head movement of trackir in his VR headset. If that program works within DCS, I would just use that. It probably doesn't though....

thats exactly what the program is doing....it makes dcs or any game think you are using a trackir like camera. and it is working in dcs. actually really simple.it took me maybe five minutes to figure out how to set it up for dcs.

it's the same principle.

1:1 Head Tracking, Your Head is = to Virtual Head in Movement/Position/Rotation

1:2 / Oversampled, Your Head is not directly linked to Virtual Head Movement/Position/Rotation

Thus Causing Desync,

Same thing as if you were watching a Replay on your rift, and trying to match the head movements on your own, there will be desync when you brain perceives a movement and you see something completely different.

The Desync is what causes motion sickness, which is why earlier units DK units were more prone to motion sickness than Consumer Market Versions, the tracking did not stay synced, and once there was desync and lag in your headmovements, the motion sickness sets in.

unfair comparison...

turning head right 80 degree and see 140 degree smoothly is not same thing as seeing view turn 140 degree and try to react it by following it but limited to 80 degree...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The only problem is that the OP said he tested this out in a program that forces the headset to do what he wants and it is not negatively impacting him. He's reporting back his real life experiences and you're spouting off theory. Is his experience worth nothing at all?

That I wonder as well, that he does use his idea with OpenTrackIR with VR, and doesn't find himself such problem as so many is saying.

And I would even configure the system to be a 1:1 all the way up to 90 degree horizontally and 45 degree vertically, after that I would start to apply a linear scaling from 1:1 up to 1:1.5 or so.

So the most common head movements would be 1:1, but when you do a quick glance over shoulder, it would smoothly swing the view to rear. When need to look below the front panel like throttle or below, the view would as well move more easily there.

The combat pilots helmets are not scuba diving goggles or skiing goggles. They offer very wide field of view sideways as you need to move the head 90 degree to side and you can see from corner of your eye already almost 180 degree. But the limiting factor is really your body belted to the seat. So if you want to look at your left six, you will move your head on right side of the seat and look past the seat to your left. So you don't try to look at left by looking past your left shoulder by leaning left, as there is no space in cockpit to do so.

TrackIR already offers unrealistic visibility to six, what actually should be disabled then for everyone from doing so, unless tracker is set to 1:1 motion like in VR, or then limit the angle with TrackIR regardless what is the ratio (as screen is in front of view).

That would be fair. (to everyone else than office chair cheaters).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.