RWR not showing locked radars in Search mode

Aries144

13 hours ago, Tippis said:

It's also not like it would be a huge effort since it's been a solved problem for four years now…

Plus it's only 1 of many things wrong/missing with RWR, though it's easily the worst. 

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 5/21/2021 at 6:46 AM, Northstar98 said:

Plus it's only 1 of many things wrong/missing with RWR, though it's easily the worst. 

Wow, how do you not have one of the main systems of an aircraft functioning properly after five years? 

Edited by StarLiner
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, StarLiner said:

Wow, how do you not have one of the main systems of an aircraft functioning properly after five years? 

Yep...

What worries me is that many of the missing elements apply to the F-16CM, only its search mode functions properly and has a continuous STT and launch tone, as well as the launch button illuminating. But things like HANDOFF, ACT/PWR, and the blinking 'S' aren't there yet.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

While this is still an issues, people can use this:

This mod still works and fix the issue partly. It is IC compatible. It install in the installation folder, not Saved Games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

On 9/25/2018 at 7:47 PM, NineLine said:

They are looking at a couple options right now. More news when I have it.

So, have they made a decision on which option to go for? 😇

• Like 1

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

11 hours ago, Moriarty said:

I don’t envy the guys whose job is to defend practices like this.

The community does it themselves, buying E/A. Gives a free pass to move onto the new and shiny module, leaving the old ones to fall into disrepair for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST0RM said:

The community does it themselves, buying E/A. Gives a free pass to move onto the new and shiny module, leaving the old ones to fall into disrepair for years. 

The F-5 isn't exactly in early access… and no, it would rather be the other way around: by buying in to the latest EA module while they're being kept in that state for years, they make those fall into disrepair. But it makes little sense that they leave supposedly complete module this broken for this long.

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

7 hours ago, Tippis said:

The F-5 isn't exactly in early access… and no, it would rather be the other way around: by buying in to the latest EA module while they're being kept in that state for years, they make those fall into disrepair. But it makes little sense that they leave supposedly complete module this broken for this long.

I didnt mean the F-5 was in E/A. I meant by continuing to buy the new modules in E/A it diverts needed attention away from the modules that have had long standing bugs. 

11 hours ago, ST0RM said:

I didnt mean the F-5 was in E/A. I meant by continuing to buy the new modules in E/A it diverts needed attention away from the modules that have had long standing bugs. 

Ok, yeah. That's fair enough.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a lot of money in this simulator, since here you can find  among the best and nicely done aircrafts one can fly on a home PC.

But the state of some older "minor" modules in unacceptable.

In the last one year and a half I've bought almost nothing: a-10c II and the mi-8.

And I intend to keep my modules without buying anything else until I see the long standing bugs (up to 4 years for some of them!) being fixed.

I do not ask for a better 3d model or a texture overhaul, but the broken systems have to be fixed.

You can keep your f-18, f-16, mi-24 and apache.

The kind of stuff described in this topic (and a lot of similar ones) is the work you should do first, and with top priority.

Edited by nessuno0505
  • Like 7

On 6/5/2021 at 11:49 PM, RichardG said:

They said they're not fixing it. Its because they don't understand how its suppose to work. 

Which is completely ridiculous as the search mode works correctly in every other RWR that has it.

It's very simple: RADARs that show up as an 'S' (i.e long range EWR/GCI RADARs) get included when search mode is enabled and filtered out when it isn't. What it doesn't do is toggle between RADARs in an acquisition/search mode and a track/fire-control mode, which necessitates constantly pressing the button over and over again whenever the highest threat emitter (the one you're probably most interested in) changes mode.

I'm pretty sure the 'S' on the button is also supposed to blink if an 'S' type RADAR is detected but not being displayed.

Then there's other stuff too:

• The LAUNCH button is supposed to flash when a launch is detected (i.e threat RADAR in an illumination/fire-control mode or a seeker from an ARH missile detected), accompanied by a continuous audio warning. On a related note, I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a continuous tone for STT. All of the above work absolutely fine for the F-16 with its AN/ALR-56M, for the F-5E however, the only thing it gives you is 1 brief tone. When you press the LAUNCH button it should also play the tone and blink as part of a test mode.
  • The ACT/PWR button is supposed to blink 'ACTIVITY' at least when a new RADAR is detected and maybe when a RADAR changes mode.
  • When pressing 'HANDOFF' such that you get the diamond on the button, the RWR is supposed to play either raw/synthetic audio of the highest threat RADAR (the one enclosed in a diamond). Unfortunately this would probably require an update for every RADAR, such that they actually model the beam (as in beam width, PRF and potentially sidelobes too). 

And all of the above also apply to at least, the F-16CM with its AN/ALR-56M RWR, which has basically the same controls and features as the F-5E-3s AN/ALR-87. Though at least the F-16CM does have a properly functioning search mode, and a continuous STT and launch tone, as well as a working LAUNCH button (minus the test mode).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 9

System:

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should at least say something like this: "we will not work on this issue because the rwr issues will be worked on when we'll deal with the f-16 radar, it's unconvenient to do the work twice so we will not on the f-5 at the moment and you have to wait". I do not know, it's just an example, but give an explanation to the community would be a matter of transparency. Maybe not everyone would be fine with the decision, but that would be something. And if the decision changes, give updates! Something must have changed since the "couple of options" of the 2018!

Edited by nessuno0505
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nessuno0505 said:

I think they should at least say something like this: "we will not work on this issue because the rwr issues will be worked on when we'll deal with the f-16 radar, it's unconvenient to do the work twice so we will not on the f-5 at the moment and you have to wait". I do not know, it's just an example, but give an explanation to the community would be a matter of transparency. Maybe not everyone would be fine with the decision, but that would be something. And if the decision changes, give updates! Something must have changed since the "couple of options" of the 2018!

I proposed a similar thing for the weapons that were on the planned list for the F/A-18C (and are actually appropriate for it) that recently got axed but wasn't mentioned or announced.

System:

I usually do not buy EA, but they live with newer EA modules. I'd be happier to buy an EA even if they decide to axe some features along the way but explain the reason to the community, rather than discover things by myself with no explanation at all (or with a lie / wrong explanation just to say something).

• NineLine changed the title to RWR not showing locked radars in Search mode
  • NineLine locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

Trying to get up to speed on the RWR in the F5E   The issue I have is that if I leave the "search" mode off it should display tracking radars, but it seems to be a random thing.  I have never received a "lock-on" or launch type alert or even seen an enemy AC on screen other than an occasional F5 or F1.  The question I have is that I know this is an old basic RWR so am I even supposed to get a lock-on warning?

• 6 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, Jagr said:

Trying to get up to speed on the RWR in the F5E   The issue I have is that if I leave the "search" mode off it should display tracking radars, but it seems to be a random thing.  I have never received a "lock-on" or launch type alert or even seen an enemy AC on screen other than an occasional F5 or F1.  The question I have is that I know this is an old basic RWR so am I even supposed to get a lock-on warning?

The RWR is almost certainly bugged. It more or less displays all radars NOT locking you in Search mode, and ONLY radars locking you in non-Search mode. This is an insane way for an RWR to work, as it makes it almost useless. Yeah, I'm going to fiddle with this tiny button when I pick up a lock tone - I don't think so. Install this mode that makes it show everything:

Edited by PawlaczGMD