Windows reinstallation, will I have to re-activate all my modules ??!

Kalonji

Hello guys,

I hope someone from ED could answer me because I'm having performance issues on DCS and it seems to be a problem with my OS (Windows 10 Pro) that was installed years ago and is not clean anymore (most of my games are lagging now while it worked very well monthes ago... maybe I have a virus or maybe some software are doing shit in background...

Anyway I'm thinking of reinstalling and as I only own 8gb RAM, I was thinking about installing my good old Windows 7 x64 Pro...

Only thing I'm fearing is the need of reinstalling totally DCS world and reactivating all the modules I have already installed ...

So that's my question : if I install windows 7, then put back ED registry parts in windows 7 registry, will I need to reactivate my modules ?!

Thanks a lot for answering as soon as possible as I'm planning to do that really really soon :music_whistling:

I just can't wait anymore to fly without all those lags and freezes I get more and more even on single mission :cry:

Any help welcome, thanks guys !!

Regards,

EDIT : LOST sound after windows and driver reinstallation ... any idea please ??! (from Win10 x64 to win7 x64)

John "Kalon" Heist :pilotfly::joystick:

Edited by Kalonji
typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------

DCS : A-10C - KA-50 - FC3 - UH-1H - M-2000C - F-16C - F/A-18C Pilot in Border Zone Elite Group :D:D:D

The DCS activation guide (at the /doc folder) says:

An activation will be required if the hardware/software changes exceed 12

points as rated below:

CPU ID: 13

Windows PID: 3

Computer Name: 3

Hard drive volume serial number: 3

MAC address: 6

RAM amount: 6

So, just a change of windows would not trigger an activation. However, if you have made other changes since the last dcs install, for example changed the computer name or increased your ram, the cumulative total could exceed the threshold and trigger the activation.

On the other hand, its likely that most of your dcs troubles are caused not by the OS but by having just the minimum ram ... i really believe that it would be better to add 8 GB more and then re-test DCS before deciding on an OS reinstall.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The DCS activation guide (at the /doc folder) says:

An activation will be required if the hardware/software changes exceed 12

points as rated below:

CPU ID: 13

Windows PID: 3

Computer Name: 3

Hard drive volume serial number: 3

MAC address: 6

RAM amount: 6

So, just a change of windows would not trigger an activation. However, if you have made other changes since the last dcs install, for example changed the computer name or increased your ram, the cumulative total could exceed the threshold and trigger the activation.

On the other hand, its likely that most of your dcs troubles are caused not by the OS but by having just the minimum ram ... i really believe that it would be better to add 8 GB more and then re-test DCS before deciding on an OS reinstall.

Best regards

Hi pal,

and thanks for answering :)

yeah I know 8gb ram is very short but I have many problems with other games sthat ran just fine before and even if I know I won't be able to run the sim in great conditions, at least I can avoid freeze and lag problem I wouldn't encounter with a clear new windows installation :)

Anyway I have spare hard drive so I can test that without taking risk ;)

And as I made no hardware changes and I'll rename my computer with the same name it has it might be ok (I hope) !

Thanks for your help, beginning Win7 x64 pr installation right now :D

regards,

John "Kalon"

ps : of course getting 8gb to add to my system is already planned ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS : A-10C - KA-50 - FC3 - UH-1H - M-2000C - F-16C - F/A-18C Pilot in Border Zone Elite Group :D:D:D

Well, just finished installation of a clean windows 7 x64 pro and everything seems to be working fine (I imported registry keys I exported from old windows and didn't need to reactivate :thumbup: )

Only weird thing is I have no more sound in DCS, and it seems to be the only game or software having that problem :(

If anyone had an idea why I lost sound, I'd be very happy, coz flying without sound is a bit crappy :helpsmilie:

Thanks in advance for any help :cry:

John "Kalon"

Edited by Kalonji
too much space between lines :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, just finished installation of a clean windows 7 x64 pro and everything seems to be working fine (I imported registry keys I exported from old windows and didn't need to reactivate :thumbup: )

Only weird thing is I have no more sound in DCS, and it seems to be the only game or software having that problem :(

If anyone had an idea why I lost sound, I'd be very happy, coz flying without sound is a bit crappy :helpsmilie:

Thanks in advance for any help :cry:

John "Kalon"

hehe everything is working well now !!

Indeed I forgot I had to update DirectX and at the same time I took opportunity to reinstall visual c++ redists from 2010 to 2015, and now everything is ok, sound is working good and as I thought I have way less freezes during my flight even if I only have 8gb ram :thumbup:

After, I know for a fact that if I launch big mission I'll have FPS drop and big freezes but waiting to add 8 more Gb that will be okay for my training missions ;)

Thanks for your help Rudel_chw and have fun flying :P

Regards,

John "Kalon" :pilotfly::joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]