Any suggestions for Rudder Pedals

Oh and by the way, that pic is imcorrect. The mfg's dont pivot in the centre.

Neither does my pic. Its a parallelogram with two pivot points, exactly like the MFGs and every other pedal set that uses the same geometry. You still get a circular motion. Those arms dont get any longer as they rotate around their pivot, they cant move linearly. I could have drawn a third circle in the middle and it would perfectly describe the motion of the center of the vertical lines, ie, where you attach the foot rests.

Edited by Vertigo72

Well its extremely minimal....so what's the problem with th VKB's then??

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Well its extremely minimal...

Its an extremely perfect circle ;) Okay, maybe its really an ellipse.

image.png

o what's the problem with th VKB's then??

I dont have a problem with them. I think they are great and recommended them. Though I wouldnt mind having toe brakes and I prefer to push pedals away from me in the horizontal pane instead of down in the vertical pane, and mounting them to achieve that is tricky. Hence my preference for pendulum rudders.

Well looks like the TPR's then......$1000 here in Aus, highway robbery!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Well looks like the TPR's then......$1000 here in Aus, highway robbery!

More like $100 for me, if that:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4407778

btw, we are full circle now (no pun intended). Did you not read what I wrote and what you quoted before saying the MFGs would be perfect for me?

I said I didnt like the circular motion of them and then you replied the MFG would be perfect. I said I much preferred the VKBs, and they you asked me what was wrong with VKBs. I said I preferred the TPRs even more, but couldnt swallow the price tag, so I already linked the above cheap alternative , and then you suggest TPRS but call it highway robbery.

Waiting now for you to again recommend MFGs for being cheaper :).

Edited by Vertigo72

Oh and by the way, that pic is imcorrect. The mfg's dont pivot in the centre.

Doesn't matter. The rotation point is at the center between the two bars that connects to pedals.

Even when you do have a two axis, the rotational axis is at center.

It doesn't draw a perfect circle then but dual-circle shape but still circular instead linear like example the CH pedals and Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Inside the CH linear pedals is the same rotating axis, but they are not locked in pedals but are freely sliding. So they measure a rotational movement for sensor, from pedals linear travel.

But the same situation is with both linear and circular pedals, you use them by using your legs from the hip. While the VKB vertical design is only for a ankle.

This is one thing that separates the helicopters pedals from the fixed wings pedals as in helicopter you need very small and accurate movements for everything. Where with fixed wings you are fighting against aerodynamic forces until FBW tech came around. Like example in MiG-21Bis you can't anymore control its turn in flight past Mach 2.05 because no one has strengths to push pedals to move the vertical stabilizer.

While in helicopter it is very easy to do as the linked control rods are on root of the rotors blades, so with very small and gentle force you can apply large forces for the rotor blades.

And as well why you need to give very small, light touched control inputs.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I bought the CH pedals for a simpit I build for our gliding club, as their movement is closer to what we have in real gliders and their price isnt exorbitant like those TPRs. I didnt find them too bad honestly, smoother and more accurate than I expected, and I think they also deserve consideration, but they are not really (easily) adjustable and your feet are close together which not everyone will like.

CH pedals served me well for a lot of years, but i wanted to get something new a year ago. I choosed the TPR's because i tested and didn't like rotation pedals and i wanted to have toe brakes. I also got them on a pretty nice discount sale, 420€ including 4 year warranty wich finally convinced me to get them. I purchased a simrig earlier, but the TPR's were delivered about a month prior to the rig. That's why i used the TPRs for like 4 weeks under my desk, wich is why i'd recommend that you should also consider where you want to mount your pedals. The TPRs are definately not suited for under a desk use. I tried all angle settings for the pedals but it remained a pain using them under the desk. I assume (but haven't tried) the same for the Slaw Viper pedals. MFG Crosswind or Virpil Ace rudders propably work better under a desk, due to the angle of their paddles.

Mounted on a simrig with a low seat height (on mine, my pedals are almost level with my knees), the TPR's are a joy to use. The pendular system feels great, although a bit soft around the center. Slaw Viper are a bit more precise afaik, but the precision of the TPRs is more than enough to fly fighter jets. This beeing said, i'm not a propeller head and do not fly helicopters so i can't confirm how they work with those. But in terms of quality, you can't go wrong with any of the mentioned rudder pedals.

BTW. If you like helicopters and don't necessarily need toe brakes... Have you considered the Virpil Warbird rudders? In terms of shape and appearance they are not a 1:1 replica, but very close to Mi-24 pedals... If that's something you like, just saying. And those are in the same price range as the VKB rudders.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2