Event Handler Help!

Sedlo

Hello!

Here's the situation: I want to be able to set a trigger to make a flag true when a player fires an AIM-7M Sparrow missile, but I've not had any luck. Right now, I kind of have a way to do it by loading the player aircraft with AIM-7Ms, with the AI having AIM-7Fs, and with the trigger to fire with Missile in Zone.

What I want is to outfit everyone with AIM-7Ms, but the trigger to set the flag true when the player fires only.

I searched the forums, and found a script that I modified so that whenever the player fires the gun, it sets a flag to true. This seems to work awesomely:

Handler = {}
function Handler:onEvent(event)
if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_SHOOTING_START and event.initiator == Unit.getByName('COLT 51 PLAYER') then
trigger.action.setUserFlag('7777', true) 
end
end
world.addEventHandler(Handler)

Now, when I set the event.id to S_Event_Shot, and try to add the AIM-7M as the weapon, I get a lua error in game. This is the code I was trying:

local rifleHandler = {}
function rifleHandler:onEvent(event)
   if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_SHOT then
       local _initiator = event.initiator
local _initname = _initiator:getName()
local _weapon = event.weapon
local _weaponname = _weapon:getTypeName()
	if _initname == "COLT 51 PLAYER" then
		if _weaponname == "AIM-7M," then
			trigger.action.setUserFlag(7777, true)
end
world.addEventHandler(rifleHandler)

Can anyone give me a hand? I'm not sure if I've got some sort of mental block when it comes to code, but most of it is Greek to me. I've got MIST loaded a few seconds after startup, if that helps at all.

My ultimate goal is that when the player fires a AIM-7M, will result in the game showing a text message to coalition (Colt 51, FOX-1!) , and it plays a sound (Fox1.ogg).

OK, I think I'm getting closer....

Except the Weapon.GuidanceType = {RADAR_SEMI_ACTIVE} doesn't seem to make the trigger weapon specific... It fires when any missile is fired at all.

Handler = {}
Weapon.GuidanceType = {RADAR_SEMI_ACTIVE}
if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_SHOT and event.initiator == Unit.getByName('COLT 51 PLAYER') then
end
end

OK, I think I'm getting closer....

Except the Weapon.GuidanceType = {RADAR_SEMI_ACTIVE} doesn't seem to make the trigger weapon specific... It fires when any missile is fired at all.

Handler = {}
Weapon.GuidanceType = {RADAR_SEMI_ACTIVE}
if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_SHOT and event.initiator == Unit.getByName('COLT 51 PLAYER') then
end
end

Hi Sedlo,

This should work. If it doesn't it's because I'm writing it on my phone on the beach, but I will get back to you when I'm home

Handler = {}

_weapon = event.weapon:getDesc()
_weapon_category =_weapon.missileCategory
 _weapon_guidance = _weapon.guidance
if _weapon_category ==1 then - - 1 for a2a missile 
         if _weapon_guidance == 4 then - - 4 for fox1, 2 for fox2, 3 for fox3, works with any missile
end 
end
ebd
end

Edited by catt42

Catt42, thanks! I am getting an error message in one of the lines, but otherwise the script works great! Thanks!

Yes, the comments weren't properly formatted for some reason. Now it should work.

Handler = {}
	_weapon = event.weapon:getDesc()
	_weapon_category =_weapon.missileCategory
	_weapon_guidance = _weapon.guidance   
		if _weapon_category ==1 then -- 1 for a2a missile 
			if _weapon_guidance == 4 then -- 4 for fox1, 2 for fox2, 3 for fox3, works with any missile
			end 
		end
end
end

And here you'll find reference for all the categories, guidance types, etc (note: Weapon.GuidanceType is incorrect, use weapon.guidance instead)

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_Class_Weapon