Oculus Rift 2 - What we know so far

dburne

No there is no true Gen 2 yet.

I am looking forward to when that day does come.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Never claimed it was Gen 2...although, show me a definition of Gen 2 please.

It is a New HMD with a New Screen, New Lens and New Tracking that's better than the Rift of Vive.

It’s not Gen2 according to industry commentators and people who have an informed opinion. BTW, most people agree that tracking has been sorted already.

It is a New HMD with a New Screen, New Lens and New Tracking that's better than the Rift of Vive.

Since when has there been a problem with vive/ oculus tracking? By telling me I was incorrect in saying it wasn’t Gen2 you were effectively claiming it was. But now you claim you weren’t before going on to claim it it is again. :lol:

Going to be mighty hard to beat the tracking of a Rift or a Vive. I am quite sure a WMR device can't.

And yes I use it for more than just sit down flight sims at times.

I would consider a Vive Pro more like a gen 1.5 but that is about it. All it improved on was a little bump in resolution, like the Odyssey ( with limited tracking).

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There's never been an issue with vive tracking

The screen door effect in the odyssey is the same as the vive pro as they are the same res and screen

The only difference visually is the lenses but even looking at the video posted is see little.difference and my experience in the pro is it's not even noticeable when the headset is positioned well so I would say that there's a marginal difference maybe and likely highly subjective.

The odyssey is less comfortable and heavier with less tracking capability

There's no clear winner and it really depends on what your priorities are

To rule out one headset over another isn't really doing other prospective buyers a service . Vive pro is an excellent experience with some clear advantages over other but u do have to pay for that

People should make their choice based on ( in no particular order)

Cost

Comfort

Tracking

Openvr support / interoperability

Visual quality ( and here I would not differentiate between odyssey and pro but rather rift and vive1 class vs pro and odyssey class vs future gen2 and maybe pimax as an outlier due to the fov difference being quite a unique hmd)

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I think that there is some confusion regarding tracking. The Odyssey tracking is on par with the others; it’s the controller tracking that can be problematic when the controllers move out of sight of the cameras. The head tracking is spot on.

Your right that it is a preference thing when picking out a headset. For me the driving factor was resolution and lenses. The Odyssey is quantifiabley better than the other offerings in that department at this point in time. So I went with it.

I think a big part of the argument is based solely on which “team” one identifies with. Butter side up vs butter side down. Quite silly and immature really. I try to catch myself when I find myself traveling down that path. I don’t always succeed.

As much as I personally dislike Lucky, I am thankful that arrogant little prick was able to pull off the Rift or we probably wouldn’t be having these discussions today. So YEA for the Rift!

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I think that there is some confusion regarding tracking. The Odyssey tracking is on par with the others; it’s the controller tracking that can be problematic when the controllers move out of sight of the cameras. The head tracking is spot on.

Your right that it is a preference thing when picking out a headset. For me the driving factor was resolution and lenses. The Odyssey is quantifiabley better than the other offerings in that department at this point in time. So I went with it.

I think a big part of the argument is based solely on which “team” one identifies with. Butter side up vs butter side down. Quite silly and immature really. I try to catch myself when I find myself traveling down that path. I don’t always succeed.

As much as I personally dislike Lucky, I am thankful that arrogant little prick was able to pull off the Rift or we probably wouldn’t be having these discussions today. So YEA for the Rift!

I don’t see any team cheering in this thread. All I see is someone claiming something is Gen2 when it clearly isn’t.

Edited by BigDuke6ixx

I personally happy with my rift it’s being powered by. Laptop. I love flying in either xp11 ore dcs 2.5 isn’t ans for the most part like the shooting apps in rift. I’m going to Check out project cars 2 iirc as soon as I locate my rash’s hardware and old generic mad cat tat has usb, Xbox and several other connection..

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

why?

you can get in cheap now and recoup 50% of your purchase price later selling on ebay.

a rift now is a slam dunk win-win.

I have a Rift system in a VR room at my company (my brothers system). I have a couple of hours logged in DCS with it. It’s really cool, but still a bit lacking to replace the TIR5 when running missions. Gen 2 will be a quantum leap, so I’ll wait a bit before buying VR for my home setup.

Edited by Fred00

BigDuke6ixx

You obviously have an issue with anyone who thinks different than you or offers a different opinion than you have. Personally, I feel everyone should buy whatever HMD strikes them as best.

Attacking people because they don't share your opinion is wrong.

Enough is enough.

I don’t see any team cheering in this thread. All I see is you claiming something is Gen2 when it clearly isn’t.

BigDuke6ixx

You obviously have an issue with anyone who thinks different than you or offers a different opinion than you have. Personally, I feel everyone should buy whatever HMD strikes them as best.

Attacking people because they don't share your opinion is wrong.

Enough is enough.

Not attacking anyone personally, just dealing with misinformation.

Since the topic is Oculus Rift 2, I am also very much looking forward to the Rift 2. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Bought an Odyssey yesterday and promptly made my day at work today much harder than it would normally be, as I stayed up very late flying around with my jaw open. Tried both the Rift and the Odyssey at the Microsoft store in north Dallas (they had Rift, Odyssey, and Vive connected and running, but the Vive (non Pro) was in use), and the Odyssey had far less noticable SDE, though it was still there.

Amazing experience. The headset tracks perfectly, and I do mean perfectly. Almost too perfect... I do somewhat miss the easy head flick of TIR5 to look behind like your neck is broken. Now I'm really using the mirror in the Spit. Can't comment on the reported mediocre tracking results of the hand-held controllers... haven't even put batteries in them. No interest.

I'd say this experience has me even more excited for a true Gen 2 product. The Odyssey is *amazing*, but there are obviously clear compromises in graphics fidelity and FOV. I'd happily shell out 4 figures for a HMD that had significant upgrades. It would be an interesting discussion to see exactly what folks consider 'true gen 2'. For myself, I'd like to see at least a 50% resolution improvement, some amount (not sure how much) FoV improvement, and better HMD ergonomics. I'm sure a big part of the VR audience would also like advances in room scale movement & controllers, but as someone who uses VR while sitting in an Obutto cockpit those have no interest for me.

Such a discussion unfortunately also has to take into account how much the state of the art in home computing power has to advance to support it. I'd love to see VR make good use of SLI, for example. Parallelizing previous gen GPUs can be a lot cheaper than getting the latest and greatest. Plus the latest and greatest likely can't keep up anytime soon... doubling today's HMD resolution would put 90 FPS way out of reach of ANY single PC graphics card... even the mighty Titan V. It's unlikely the upcoming 1180 will beat the 1080ti by more than 30-40%, and that's not nearly enough to run two 4K+ sreens at 90 FPS in DCS.

Edited by nervousenergy

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

What I would like to see in the Oculus Gen 2, is much of what is discussed by them in my OP link on this thread. That Varifocal lens looks sweet.

Obviously we are still a bit of a ways off from it, hopefully by then computer tech will be better able to handle it. It would seem to me Oculus is focused not only increasing many things for their next gen, but also putting a lot of effort into taking some load off the GPU as well.

Now one would think they are not disclosing all that they are working on for competitive reasons, so I am looking more and more forward to what they bring to the table down the road.

I use my Rift CV1 on practically a daily basis since Jan 2017, and it just amazes me how trouble free this thing has been with all the hours I have put on it already.

Don B

Oculus Patented Curved VR Display:

screen-shot-2017-12-06-at-155502-r471x.jpg.931f6e79a53147046b52a8684bf6b265.jpg

Don B

Yep, Gen2 implies something completely new not just high res etc.

I'd disagree with this if the qualitative difference is big enough. The exact same HMD design but using 4K per eye at 90 FPS, for example, would be such a radical improvement in the experience that I'd have to call that gen 2.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers