[INVESTIGATING]Velocity Vector problems

SnapRoll

The first picture is showing the Ghost Velocity Vector above the horizon while the Velocity Vector is below. This is happening in landing configuration.

The second Picture is showing a 6.4G turn and it looks weird that the Ghost Velocity Vector should be leading.

Flight_Path_Marker_landing.jpg.4f2ca5df25cb9aa281b2f245664050fa.jpg

Flight_Path_Marker_6g.jpg.e3b8e3bfad22bf6aacfd65c768d81bee.jpg

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

I've noticed the issue on the first picture as well and also noticed it in the Harrier one time (don't know if it's related). The Ghost VV seems to displace horizontally with respect to the physical HUD's attitude and not with respect to the horizon.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone...

I'm having the same problem concerning the VV.

During a case 3 recovery with considerable crosswind the ghost VV slews to right/left (what it should, according to the crosswind) but also slews above the horizon (what it shouldn't do). If you now flew the ghost VV pointing on the horizon you will get a certain rate of descent. So in this case the ghost VV is only useful as lateral reference, but not useful as a vertical...

InkedScreen_200712_145230_LI.thumb.jpg.08ed3345cd68de42a552dc4a67d47c3e.jpg

Edited by Cruizzzzer

• 2 weeks later...

Did some testing on the ghost VV, with some adverse weather meaning heavy crosswind.

The ghost VV doesn't even align correctly by lateral means.

While being stable on final during a case 3 recovery, "placing" the ghost VV on the carrier you will get a drift. First the "long range laser lineup sytsem" on the carrier shows steady amber. Placing the ghost VV on the carrier will make you still drift, showing the light become red/green...

The first picture is showing the Ghost Velocity Vector above the horizon while the Velocity Vector is below. This is happening in landing configuration.

The second Picture is showing a 6.4G turn and it looks weird that the Ghost Velocity Vector should be leading.

In the first picture, yea but it doesn't happen consistently.

In the second pic, it's the crosswind (I think). You can see it at slow speeds.

I made a circle in a 15 kt wind, starting from upwind: https://youtu.be/fmquN_AxQyw

That's just a caged vs. uncaged hud. Normally in a crosswind the hud is uncaged and the ladder will stay centred on the VV which moved. If you hit cage/uncage you'll see the HUD and VV center with the 'ghost' VV indicating sideward velocity. It will also automatically cage when the VV actually moves far enough that it goes off the side of the HUD. It cages so you can still actually see the ladder and VV.

This shouldn't be an issue on landing on the CV as normally the CV would be moving into the wind and you wouldn't be doing a crosswind landing.

That's just a caged vs. uncaged hud. Normally in a crosswind the hud is uncaged and the ladder will stay centred on the VV which moved. If you hit cage/uncage you'll see the HUD and VV center with the 'ghost' VV indicating sideward velocity. It will also automatically cage when the VV actually moves far enough that it goes off the side of the HUD. It cages so you can still actually see the ladder and VV.

This shouldn't be an issue on landing on the CV as normally the CV would be moving into the wind and you wouldn't be doing a crosswind landing.

The point and question here is "how accurate" is the ghost VV?

And what we can tell it isn't accurate.

Neither horizontally nor vertically.

Flying for example straight and level, the ghost VV should be on the horizon line, same as the VV.

Another thing is, that flying with crab, the ghost VV should show you the wind correction angle, which it does not. So right now, the ghost VV only shows you a "somewhat" drift.

And as sidenote:

Landing on the CV, where it would be facing into the wind (i.e. zero CWC), of course, would be ideal. But during recovery you can have up to 7kts of crosswind component, and on captains discretion even up to 10kts...