Joystick input options

Noctrach

So I hate to say this but the F-16 is the only module I've ever felt I'd have wanted a refund on simply due to the way it responds to user input compared to all the other modules in the DCS library.

I've tried every imaginable tweak to curvature or saturation, but it still feels as if tiny inputs are barely registered, needing huge sweeping motions on my warthog for even the smallest in-flight adjustments. It feels as if there's a delay between what I do and the interpretation of the jet unlike any other module I've flown (which is basically all of them).

There has been mention that this is due to the module trying to replicate a force-sensing device, but I doubt more than 1% of players has one of those.

I'd really love to see an optional input curve better suited for desktop joysticks, as I genuinely struggle to enjoy flying this module.

Are you using an extension for your Warthog? That makes quite the difference for the Falcon.

I have flown it both with and without my 10cm extension, and without is highly preferable.

Personally, since I fly multiple modules I don't tend to remove the extension and move my centre stick to the side just to fly the F-16: soon I'll get my hands on a FSSB R3 :-)

For now I'll make due with what I have.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Are you using an extension for your Warthog? That makes quite the difference for the Falcon.

I have flown it both with and without my 10cm extension, and without is highly preferable.

Nope, unmodified warthog basically fresh out of the box.

Yeah it feels like it has a 60% curve on both X and Y axis.

During aa refuels I can just throw the stick all over the places with ease and not disconnect.

input doesn't feel linear at all, especially pulling G's

My thoughts exactly, the initial 30-40% of movement only show minimal change, with a sudden aggressive increase in response after that. As someone who flies everything at 0/0 curvature, it feels dreadfully unresponsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8RoY6Y_5kM

I have been moaning about this since launch day, I made a quick video to show the core issue.

With 0 curve on everything, you can see how the viper barely twitches when given small fast control inputs. Whereas hornet and hog respond instantly.

Now whilst it may be realistic for there to be this deadzone, as IRL they use a force sensing stick with no throw at all. In the Sim it creates a slew of problems for the majority of displacement stick users with extensions.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Perfect video and explanation on what I refer to the F-16 not being snappy!

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

FWIW, I have -5 on both pitch and roll curves in the Viper and I find it sufficiently “snappy”

A-10 though is a little Apples Vs Oranges as it has direct linkages and no 1s and 0s involved in its control logic.

During AAR, Viper controls are damped just like they are with the gear down. The proper percentage is in debate though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I'd have to check the exact values, but if I remember correctly I use -6 on pitch and -12 for roll. I use a 10cm extension so I definitely need negative curves on X and Y.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I've found reducing Y Saturation to be helpful in addition to negative curve with a 10cm extension. I'd recommend trying it.

I'm playing around with the settings still, but at between 70% and 60% for both roll and pitch, and curves of about -10 and -7 respectively. Much better than the -15- to -20+ curves I was forced to use before.

In the recent survey, I asked for this to be addressed. By far, the vast majority of people have displacement sticks, and at the very least an alternative option needs to be made available in the special settings tab.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Maybe it's your personal habits. Before the release of the Viper I have stopped playing DCS for a long time (before I mainly fly the Hornet with a curve of 15), after Viper came out I have been flying the Viper only. I did not setup any curves in my Viper, only 2% deadzones. The jet feels quite ok and snappy for me with no curve at all. In fact, I found I can do better in formations than before. I can also perform sudden maneuvers with no problem at all. It handles like a dream, at least for me.

Every jet handles differently so maybe you are still not used to the Viper. Now when I jump into a F-14 or F-15, which do not have FBW, I actually feel the controls are quite sensitive and I need to increase the curve to about 25.

And I like the handling of the Viper a lot better. It just feels so right, and yes Viper is my favorite jet of all time.