What's the best anti torque pedals for a heli sim these days?

d0ppler

The MFG Crosswind are comfortable and versatile. adaptable to everything.

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

• 2 years later...
On 3/16/2020 at 12:48 AM, Coota0 said:

I got a set of TPR pedals. They are great. I have the springs set to the the lower position, but both still on the pedals. The pedals have more feedback than a Kiowa, but feel a lot like the Blackhawk. The accuracy is amazing and I love flying with them.

I'm looking for set of pedals right now for helos & jets. I have the TM Warthog hotas.  Would you recommend these pedals for both? jets and helos

• PC: 12th Gen i5-12400 | RTX 4080 | 32GB RAM | 1.5T m.2 ssd
  • Peripherals: Hotas Warthog | Track IR v5 | 4K 65" LCD
  • Modules: Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Mosquito FB VI, P-47D Thunderbolt, P-51D Mustang, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, MiG-29, Su-27, Su-33, F-14 Tomcat, F-15C, F/A-18C Hornet, UH-1H Huey, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Combined Arms, Supercarrier
  • Maps: Normandy 2, Persian Gulf, Syria

Study Research each for your use. I will give my Pedals a good review. I started with a basic set and used them for years. Upgraded to a Set of MFG Crosswind with addon Damper. I fly WWII and HUEY.  I fly the UH-1h more then Planes. The change to the MFG Crosswinds were a Major Noticeable difference in precision. It was like I went from 2 sticks hooked together with a rubber band to a master built hand crafted instrument. I was shocked how bad my other pedals really were. I never thought rudder/torque pedals mattered that much when it came to flight control. I thought of them as 2 sticks hooked together by a rubber band that just didn't matter. I was wrong. Good Luck making up your mind. New gear is fun. All my other gear is Virpil. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grant977 said:

How’s the damper feel for helos? Also have crosswinds and when they wear out they will be replaced with crosswinds. 

I have had the current ones since 2016 and no issues.

I have the new version and I love them I like the Damper I gives a little more of a fluid flow feel then a spring tension feel. The Spring is still hooked up so it gives a increase in tension the further the pedal is moved you adjust the 2 in tension to get the feel you like. The MFGs are so good I know I could use them without the Damper and still have no problem with control. I feel it just adds a more fluid precision kind of feel If installed correctly. The videos I see are installed wrong. They give parts that are for version 1 pedals and people use them on the new version pedals and that offsets the damper so it is not in line. MFG has sold me on their Product. I love them. 

• Like 2

Oh they are absolutely excellent they feel actually feel no different than the pedals in the real cirrus I fly. If anything I wish I loud change would to make the break axis stiffer. This is all without the damper. I will look into getting it.

I have the earlier version of the pedals. How much of a chore is refitting them with the damper?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grant977 said:

Oh they are absolutely excellent they feel actually feel no different than the pedals in the real cirrus I fly. If anything I wish I loud change would to make the break axis stiffer. This is all without the damper. I will look into getting it.

I have the earlier version of the pedals. How much of a chore is refitting them with the damper?

I got the Damper same time as the Pedals and it was nothing to install then its just getting the spring and damper setting where you like the feel. 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks 🙂 its actually fairly crude. I removed the big spring and replaced it with two rubber bands in parallel, made from a bicycle tyre inner tube. One band applies just enough tension to keep a little pressure on the bearing arm to contact with the cam when in heli mode, the other is attached to the line with the hook on the end and applies lots more tension to re center the pedals when pulled tight.

The line is dyneema cord for strength

There are white plastic clamps each side near the bearings, with pg44 grease applied for damping. Clamps are made out of a white kitchen chopping board just using an angle grinder. A cable tie squeezes them tight enough to dampen.

I may have a photo of the insides somewhere. will check.

• Like 1