Can't Enable Autopilot

unlikely_spider

It says it's the LWin + A so meaning the Left Windows Key plus A...but have you tried binding it to a HOTAS button or other unused key?

I'm not a fan of using the WIN key for anything as it has its primary function to bring up the windows menu.

I have the TM Warthog and I bound the Left Throttle Over The Top Front Red Pinkie Button and works great.

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think you also need to have the autopilot option enabled in the Special/UH-1H section of the settings.

• Like 1

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

try setting one of the modes first, then enable it

Open your axis windows as well (R Cntrl + Enter) and another set of control indicators should show up in white, when the AP is enabled

• Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

IIRC, that is the trick -- you first select an autopilot mode (altitude hold, heading hold, orbit). Doing so will have no noticeable effect, but when you then turn the autopilot "on," it will engage with whatever mode you selected prior.

I can't remember if you have to do that every time you use it in the course of a single flight, but I don't think so; I think it defaults after the first time to the last mode you were in.

One other "gotcha" that I seem to recall tripping me up the first few times: before turning off autopilot, pay attention on the controls indicator window to the position of the autopilot's (aka your copilot's) flight controls, and make sure your own controls match them, or you may have a violent lurch when you take over and DCS immediately reverts to your control positions.

Taking cyclic as an example: let's say you move your real stick (Warthog or whatever) left of center to set up an orbit, then engage AP in Orbit mode and let go of your real stick (which will immediately recenter due to its springs). You should see on the control position window one red diamond and one white; one is the position of your real stick and the other the position of the virtual co-pilot's controls. If you move your real stick to line up the two diamonds before you disengage autopilot, you should have a smooth transition. (The situation is complicated by trim, but the principal is still the same-- line up the white and red flight control indicators in the controls window and you're good to go).

Hope that helps (and/or actually made sense)!

• Like 1

It's not mission dependent (as far as I know). But even though you turn it on, you will have NO indication if it's on or not. Especially no indication on your autopilot info paper on your kneeboard.

The real Huey does not have an autopilot, but the autopilot is implemented in the game so you can take the seats of the crew.

Just try to see if you can pilot the heli after you have hit Win + A. If it's steady, the autopilot is on.

• Like 1

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

Weird. Either way, it works now. I unchecked, then checked again, the option in the Special settings for the Huey. Maybe a bug, or maybe user error.

I'm having fun learning this thing, either way. Thanks for the sale, ED. I would not have considered these weird creatures otherwise.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

IIRC, that is the trick -- you first select an autopilot mode (altitude hold, heading hold, orbit). Doing so will have no noticeable effect, but when you then turn the autopilot "on," it will engage with whatever mode you selected prior.

I can't remember if you have to do that every time you use it in the course of a single flight, but I don't think so; I think it defaults after the first time to the last mode you were in.

One other "gotcha" that I seem to recall tripping me up the first few times: before turning off autopilot, pay attention on the controls indicator window to the position of the autopilot's (aka your copilot's) flight controls, and make sure your own controls match them, or you may have a violent lurch when you take over and DCS immediately reverts to your control positions.

Taking cyclic as an example: let's say you move your real stick (Warthog or whatever) left of center to set up an orbit, then engage AP in Orbit mode and let go of your real stick (which will immediately recenter due to its springs). You should see on the control position window one red diamond and one white; one is the position of your real stick and the other the position of the virtual co-pilot's controls. If you move your real stick to line up the two diamonds before you disengage autopilot, you should have a smooth transition. (The situation is complicated by trim, but the principal is still the same-- line up the white and red flight control indicators in the controls window and you're good to go).

Hope that helps (and/or actually made sense)!

Awesome Vector!

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Weird. Either way, it works now. I unchecked, then checked again, the option in the Special settings for the Huey. Maybe a bug, or maybe user error.

Yes, I have experienced similar thingd in the past with other settings for other modules. There was a setting (don't remember which) for the Ka-50 that had to be toggled (unticked, restart DCS, reticked, restart DCS) after each update. Though it was long ago. One can not fully trust the settings being what they seem to be...

Happy you got it working.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...
It's not mission dependent (as far as I know). But even though you turn it on, you will have NO indication if it's on or not. Especially no indication on your autopilot info paper on your kneeboard.

The real Huey does not have an autopilot, but the autopilot is implemented in the game so you can take the seats of the crew.

Just try to see if you can pilot the heli after you have hit Win + A. If it's steady, the autopilot is on.

You can use Auto Pilot from the right seat to. I do that to simulate my co-pilot taking the controls while I check the map or tune radios in flight or get tired of flying during a long flight or have to go to the bathroom. :pilotfly: