Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In its present state, its application in the realm of air combat sims is doubtful, generally you don't want to be the last person to make visual contact with bogeys online. Resolution is traditionally the soft spot of HMDs in gaming. But let's have our fingers crossed since they do produce very small FullHD screens these days.

I'VE ALREADY TRIED OCULUS!

The rest resolution was already great OK now the test kit, no doubt the final product will be even better! And the head tracking was second to none.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Without a doubt, yay.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

I'll have a kit soon.

gonna work on some tracking plugins... but not for DCS.. that's ED's job.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

What are the key benefits of this device, compared to existing HMDs like Sony HMZ-T2? Apart from motion tracking feature. Maybe those who tried it would share their opinions?

---

Ahh, it's the FOV. OK, this could change a lot.

Edited by Maximus_G

FOV, low-latency/high precision head tracking, small form-factor.

One interesting thing I saw in interviews with Oculus employees was that they are investigating ways to involve head translation rather than just panning and roll. That and 1080p displays. Good on em.

Wow, this looks great. I hope that the resolution will be good enough for flight simulators. I wonder how bad the screen door effect will be on these 7" developer kit displays. I guess the FPS wont be a problem since the actual game or simulator will be running on very low resolution.

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

Are you also getting one in April? Do you know how many they are manufacturing on that run? I wonder if the people who recently ordered will get one.

Chain

I'll have a kit soon.

gonna work on some tracking plugins... but not for DCS.. that's ED's job.

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

Wow, this looks great. I hope that the resolution will be good enough for flight simulators. I wonder how bad the screen door effect will be on these 7" developer kit displays. I guess the FPS wont be a problem since the actual game or simulator will be running on very low resolution.

I believe the prototype shown is using the older 5" display, and they also made an update about pixel fill factor and how the 7" has much higher fill rate, so I think it'll won't be an issue with the shipping dev version.

VR support in DCS anytime soon?

virtual reality has come a long way recently, and now one developer is just about to realease their SDK for game devs.

How awesome would it be in DCS World with a high res 110 FOV VR headset? no more expensive cockpits or clunky track IR... :) just put on the VR and take off...

any1 know if ED is going to support this new tech?

links:

http://www.oculusvr.com/developer/

Considering dev kits are not yet available (March at the earliest) and ED has many other issues to deal with. I would not expect anything in the near future.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Now that is some Cool stuff right there:thumbup: and anything that will keep Hannibal locked up is a good thing..:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

LOL yeah you know me bro,Like a bad penny..:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Following these technology's very closely, fingers crossed my Leap will be delivered soon. I'm no programmer so no idea how I'm gonna use it, but damn its cool. :thumbup:

As to the Rift, while I'm not getting a dev kit, already put the money aside for the full release. Decided to grab it for Star Citizen who have already stated they will be supporting it.

If DCS decide to support it as well, then it will be a dream come true. The OR, Leap, Hotas and pedals, will possibly provide the most in depth immersion we will get as home users, although Film, Gadroc and PeterP, will almost always find a way to surpass even this. ;)

Can't wait to see how this progresses, certainly the previews are all very positive indeed for both techs.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• 1 month later...

Oculus Rift includes a supposedly great head tracker ["Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency"].

That means it will allow looking naturally inside the 3D cockpit and use only the "virtual" switches with a mouse, plus HOTAS. For something as good as A-10C it will be 100% usable, just look at the desired cockpit switch and mouse click it.

Also they advertise a wide enough FOV, 90 degrees horizontal (for the relatively low resolution per eye 640x800).

And don't forget that this HMD can do great 3D easily by sending different video to each eye, with zero cross.

HMD is the future for simulators IMHO. Higher resolution HMDs will be just to good to pass.

I got a chance to test the Rift Display Unit w/o headtracking w/ DCSW/A-10C briefly (as I dont have my own unit yet).

I used TrackIR in 1:1 for headtracking,

You cant really see the keyboard, so It's best to have everything mapped to HOTAS or a Switch.

I had my mouse setting next to my stick.

for Modules that need alot of keyboard interaction... it might be tough.

But for A-10C, it's OK

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Oculus rift + this:

and you're all set!

imagine that with Elderscrolls, imagine the youtube videos of kids doing the movements to throw the fire spells and stuff.. lol.. :megalol: