New VR Pointing Device - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
MilesD

Default New VR Pointing Device

Hey Guys,
I have been developing a VR mouse emulating device for the past 6 months, and I am close to posting some pics and videos of a working production prototype. I have been using a prototype of this device with DCS for a few months now. Those that fly on the 99th ‘s server are familiar with it. I have not wanted to say anything here because a lot of claims are made and products don’t materialize. But I woke up this morning and said, “why not?”. The device is called PointCTRL, and consists of 2 wireless, wearable index finger devices, a wireless HMD mounted micro tracking camera, and a USB dongle receiver. The ring type devices have three tactile push buttons along the inbound sides, allowing them to be identified and pressed with the thumb. Each ring is tracked in 2d space only, emulating mouse movement and button presses. No external software is required to run PointCTRL, as it is only recognized as a standard HID mouse. Software is provided to customize personal parameters and functions. So basically, instead of searching for the mouse or picking up a secondary controller, you just point at the switch, button, or lever you want to interact with, and then press one of the three tactile switches to operate it. If it’s a control that is mouse clickable, and you can see and point at it anywhere in your 360-degree environment, you can interact with it. A companion product will also be available that simulates touching a cockpit panel. The mouse press is emulated when finger contact is made with the panel, while the position is being tracked by the camera. PointCTRL can also be configured to work with standard monitors. Part of my reason for posting my progress is to help me stay focused on this task, as I tend to get distracted by shiny things. I am going to post pics and possibly a video in 1 week, not 2 weeks, but 1 week. I will try and answer any further questions in a somewhat timely manner, but I only have 6 days, 23 hours, and 59 minutes to get some pics and videos out.

Thanks,

Miles

P.S. I apologize to all of those wanting to purchase the cougar hall sensors kits, but I had to make this a priority. I will eventually do another production run of them in the distant future and send a mass email to everyone who requested them.

UPDATED VIDEO
Here is a short video
https://youtu.be/VFh7obLfC6g

Last edited by MilesD; 09-15-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added video Link
MilesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
FZG_Immel

promising. depending on the cost I would buy ! I bought the cougar sensors as well !

Asus MB - Intel I7 @4.4ghz - 6gb DDR3 Kingston - ASUS 1080ti STRIx - Cougar FSSB + Cougar NN_Dan + Warthog - Saitek Combat Pedals - Track IR5
FZG_Immel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
MilesD

That long post and forgot to mention the price. I know this is a niche market but, I really want to make this as accessible as possible to everyone who wants this . I was originally shooting for $150.00 usd price point, but it is probably going to have to come in around $175.00. The package will include the wireless HMD sensor, 2 wireless wearable rings (left and right index fingers), base station receiver, 6 rechargeable micro lipo batteries (3 extras), and USB charging station. The panel add-on should be around $50.00 usd.

Miles
Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
FZG_Immel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesD View Post
That long post and forgot to mention the price. I know this is a niche market but, I really want to make this as accessible as possible to everyone who wants this . I was originally shooting for $150.00 usd price point, but it is probably going to have to come in around $175.00. The package will include the wireless HMD sensor, 2 wireless wearable rings (left and right index fingers), base station receiver, 6 rechargeable micro lipo batteries (3 extras), and USB charging station. The panel add-on should be around $50.00 usd.

Miles
if the system end up working as advertised, this is very reasonable and I will be trying for sure. Cout me in. I have a Oculus rift

thanks for your hard work

Asus MB - Intel I7 @4.4ghz - 6gb DDR3 Kingston - ASUS 1080ti STRIx - Cougar FSSB + Cougar NN_Dan + Warthog - Saitek Combat Pedals - Track IR5

Last edited by FZG_Immel; 08-26-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
Oesau

Sounds I interesting- would you ship overseas?
Oesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
BlacleyCole

Two questions 1) do you need testers? 2) can you use just one device? Like on the left hand only for helos the right needs to stay on the cyclic during flight. It would be interesting to try out btw I can beta tease with any and all mods as I have them.

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
MilesD

@ Oesau, I do plan too ship overseas, I have to do a bit more research on the CE certification.
@ Blacley, PointCTRL will come with both left and right hand devices, however, you can wear only 1 if you want. I mostly fly helicopters also, but I always put both on because I often end up switching to the MI8, which requires using your right hand also for switches.
Thanks for the interest,
Miles

Update:
I cut the latest iteration of some test boards today, and I will be mounting the SMD components tomorrow. These are only to confirm production board design and circuitry. Production boards will be professionally manufactured.

Last edited by MilesD; 08-28-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
redtail

As a VR only flyer since purchasing my Rift last year, this is exactly what I'm looking forward to!

I'm onboard. I'd be glad to beta test and purchase.
Keep me posted Miles
Old 08-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
FZG_Immel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesD View Post
@ Oesau, I do plan too ship overseas, I have to do a bit more research on the CE certification.
@ Blackey, PointCTRL will come with both left and right hand devices, however, you can wear only 1 if you want. I mostly fly helicopters also, but I always put both on because I often end up switching to the MI8, which requires using your right hand also for switches.
Thanks for the interest,
Miles

Update:
I cut the latest iteration of some test boards today, and I will be mounting the SMD components tomorrow. These are only to confirm production board design and circuitry. Production boards will be professionally manufactured.
defintely count me in

Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #10
Oesau

Ok great - looking forward to the video to see it in action it I’m very keen
Oesau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vr clickable cockpit, vr controller, vr gloves, vr mouse, vr tracking