F-15C/D Approaching the Chopping Block Soon?

frixon28

Maybe the problem is the maintainers? Retiring a type entirely means saving on maintainers, who can be redirected to F-35 ? They wanted to do the same with A-10C, but then everytime they propose to retire an old airframe some nostalgia sets in!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's only 230 or so F-15C Airframes w/ 130 or so being ANG, and 100 or so being USAF. and Not all of them are being upgraded, the Younger Airframes likely will be upgraded to last the next 3 years + retirement/transition time.

Easily Filled by the Younger 170 or so F-22As and 1100+ F-16s.

Yeah, sorry, I only had access to the excerpt of that Aviation Week article. From another article, I see that it concerns about six ANG and three active-duty squadrons, not the whole fleet. The article continues on how it makes sense from the homeland defense perspective, especially as the F-35 starts replacing the F-16's in active-duty squadrons, freeing those for the ANG.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!