Steel Winter - the Single Player Experience for A-10C's & A-10A's

Bug fixed in Mission 5. New versions uploaded, see the first post.

If you protect the Su-34 on it's journey home and it survives to land, the "mission complete" messages are given. The bug occurred after the Su-34 landed, taxied for awhile and then de-spawned because it could not find a parking space. After de-spawning, the "failed mission" messages would wrongly appear.

Edited by Winston 60
adding

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

• 4 weeks later...

In case you are still working on this:

in the 5th mission, the Tanker did not spawn. Was not available for wingmen and in the Comm Menu. I told them to hold position and they had enough fuel for the rest of the mission, so it worked out in the end.

The mission itself was pretty cool:)

• Like 1

Thanks Comes, for finding this bug. I've temporarily suspended work on "Steel Winter" until later in the year or early 2018 because I have to pack up and make a cross country move soon. The tanker bug was easily solved and I have repaired mission 5 for the A-10A and A-10C and uploaded new versions to the first post.

BTW, were you able to steal the Fullback and get it home safely?

Your tanker arrives on-station 10 minutes after mission start.

Edited by Winston 60

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I failed the mission three times.

First I did not have enough ammo to destroy the reinforcement tanks and the Fullback got destroyed.

On second try I rearmed before calling the C-130 but got shot down by a tank.

On third try I rearmed but somehow managed to miss a few of my Mavericks, so again, I did not have enough ammo.

I have to admit, I got frustrated after that and cheated a little:unsure:

I removed two of the reinforcement tanks at the end.

After that, I managed to complete the mission successful and get the Fullback home with all my wingmen still alive.:)

But that was a really interesting Mission with nice voice acting etc...

I am really enjoying this campaign, also liked the change of season (brings a bit more variety).

I just wish you could send your wingmen home to rearm in DCS.

If only we could get our wingmen to rearm. :yawn: I'm guessing ED hasn't given us this option over all these years because the AI is just too stupid to do it!

Yes, running out of Mavericks is inevitable... and your wingmen will also be out by now as well. Rearming before calling in the C-130 is the way to go and you should also make use of the CBU-97 cluster bombs. Although it is extremely hard to target a fast moving group of ground vehicles in CCRP mode, if you begin a dive from 10,000 ft you can use CCIP mode to place your pipper just ahead of the moving vehicles and release at a low altitude. With a bit of luck you'll take out all or most of the group with one bomb. Make sure you take out any AAA vehicles in the convoy first, before diving down on it! :doh:

• Like 1

I completed the last Mission now.

Just 2 little issues I had:

Before the mission starts, I had to select one of two (identical?) A-10 flights. Don't know if this is intentional or just some copy and paste error in the Mission Editor.

Another problem that I had was AI related.

The second Convoy was close to Kobulete Airbase, so my wingmen where always engaging the enemys at the Airbase and not the Convoy. Also it seems, that all the Units that I destroyed in the previous mission at the airbase were back in this one.

Maybe it would be better to remove them, just to make things a little more believable and easier for the AI.

I was lucky and the general was in the second convoy.:)

And of course I checked out the Easter Egg:thumbup:

Thank's a lot for the campaign, I am always happy to see a few missions for the A-10A.

Comes, there's an extra set of A-10's, "Thunderbolt Flight 2" for you use if you got off to a bad start or loose your wingmen and don't want to start the whole mission over. Simply press "Esc" and then "Select Role" and you can jump into Flight 2 and it's like starting over with two fresh wingmen except you won't loose the progress you've made so far in the mission.

Mission 6 takes place 1 month after mission 5 so the defenses at Kobuleti are somewhat replenished. Yes, it is hard to make sure your wingmen attack the moving columns of vehicles and not the airbase defenses. These are a port of multiplayer missions and in multiplayer you can talk your human wingmen to the proper target. So in singleplayer try enabling "Cockpit Visual Recon Mode" and using it's features to let your wingmen know which targets you want them to attack.

I'll be back at years end or early next year with more "Steel Winter" missions. :pilotfly: