DCS 2.0: Friends cannot see each others public servers

Ghostrider142

Myself and 3 of my friends want to play some missions together, we all have the same mission files.

1. We create a new server, we set it to public and load it up.

2. The other 3 of us will refresh and refresh and wait and the server never appears in the list. We also try connecting by IP, it never works.

How do you do this?

Does DCS multiplayer require modding config and lua files just to play with your friends?

Every thread and YouTube video out there is outdated, I've even joined some DCS teamspeak rooms and cannot find anyone who knows how to do this, despite there being over a dozen servers up at any given time. :(

My friends are getting frustrated and are losing interest and I am desperate to figure out what should be a really simple process so we can enjoy this game together.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:helpsmilie:

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

The biggest hurdle to host a DCS Server, is making sure that your home has the Port 10308 open and pointing to your host PC. This is something that you have to setup on the router, and the exact procedure depends on which router you have.

You can check if the port is open by doing the following:

- Start DCS, and start a Multiplayer server.

- Now alt-tab to an internet browser and go to this URL: http://canyouseeme.org/

- There input the port 10308 and click check port ... its should say "success".

If the port check fails, it means that either your router is not allowing traffic on port 10308, or it doesnt sends (forwards) the traffic to the LAN IP address of your PC.

Sometimes, your home Router isnt yours, but its property of your Internet provider ... on that case, most likely you wont have access to configure the router yourself.

This was my case, and I had to resort to ask the ISP to disable the routing functions of her router (transforming it into a much dumber device called a network bridge) and then purchase my own router to link the ISP's with my home LAN.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Myself and 3 of my friends want to play some missions together, we all have the same mission files.

:helpsmilie:

Discussed multiple times here already.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2200921&postcount=24

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127230

Regards, Ian

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Thanks for the responses.

Well, I was hoping it was not this complicated. Will ED ever change the way this works?

Is DCS Steam version different? We prefer 2.0 but if Steam is click and go that's the most likely way my friends will play.

My port is not visible via that link, I have Comcast and they probably have disabled the routing functions as you mentioned Rudel. Thanks for sharing that.

MadDog, I saw those threads, but having already wasted time following outdated DCS server YouTube videos much younger than those threads (both from 2014) I surely thought by 2017 things would be different, looks like it's not.

I guess the virtual server is my best bet, but the link for a virtual dedicated server in the tutorial goes to Wikipedia, can anyone recommend a virtual server host? What's popular for DCS?

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

Well, I was hoping it was not this complicated. Will ED ever change the way this works?

Not unless they re-invent how the internet works, a dedicated server program will be no different.

I don't see why it is so difficult ???

1. You only have to find out how to get into the router you have to add the port forwarding to your computers internal IP address (This is the hardest bit, because there are so many different routers and ISP's can have other things that may interfere, hence why you test to see if port is open from the outside worlds point of view).
  2. Run DCS on your computer as Multiplayer / Server and share public.
  3. Friends join from the master server list and you all game.

Is DCS Steam version different? We prefer 2.0 but if Steam is click and go that's the most likely way my friends will play.

Steam version still works the same way, it isn't a DCS problem, it is just how the internet works and you have to put in a port forward to pass the packets onto the server.

My port is not visible via that link, I have Comcast and they probably have disabled the routing functions as you mentioned Rudel. Thanks for sharing that.

For canyouseeme websites and those others on the internet that check your open port, require the server application (DCS) to be running when you are doing their test or it will not show the port as open / working.

Using the Trial version of this: https://portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi?advertid=15; installed on your computer and testing with the OPEN PORT Checker (This works standalone, no need to be running the server software):

Without know any thing about comcast, a 5 second search give me a couple of modem / routers they use and how to program the port forwarding:

Port 10308 for Both (TCP/UDP)

https://portforward.com/comcast/

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC
  • Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Remember that you have to have DCS running and set up as a multiplayer server, while you do the test.

The only way that MP is simpler, is when you use somebody else´s Server, as joining a DCS game as client doesnt require any special router configuration.

Actually, it isnt that Comcast has disabled the routing functions (That is needed only when you want to use your own router, rather than the one provided by Comcast) ... the problem is that when the router receives traffic on the 10308 port, it doesnt know to which of your home PCs pass that data.

I guess the virtual server is my best bet, but the link for a virtual dedicated server in the tutorial goes to Wikipedia, can anyone recommend a virtual server host? What's popular for DCS?

Sorry, I've never used such a setup ... I just run DCS on my own PC and it works because I use my own router and the ISP's isnt interfering as it's configured as just a bridge, rather than as a router.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

If its that difficult...Have one of your friends host the mission and see how that works.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

MadDog, I saw those threads, but having already wasted time following outdated DCS server YouTube videos much younger than those threads (both from 2014) I surely thought by 2017 things would be different, looks like it's not.

Its how internet works, open ports are always needed. btw, try opening up that ports, its easy and there are plenty of guides/tutos. If the router/modem is from your ISP try calling them and telling this, maybe they could open the port for you.

GL.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Ok, so I am confused.

According to the link given, using your own computer was 'a bad idea' and it was recommended to set up another PC as a dedicated server.

My rig is a i7-4770k, 16GB ram, GTX780 4GB and an SSD, is that enough to host for 2-3 other players vs AI missions?

So just open my ports and setup the MP server?

Thanks for all the detailed feedback/help guys.

It is being blocked, I checked with a MP server started and I am now using the link you shared to get my port forwarded so my friends can join. We found some really well done MP mission s on here and can't wait to fly them.

Will report back if I am successful.

Success!

I would recommend to sticky this tutorial for setting up port forwarding, it was really easy for someone who has never done anything like this before.

Success!

I would recommend to sticky this tutorial for setting up port forwarding, it was really easy for someone who has never done anything like this before.

I'm glad you could finally connect as Server, cheers! :)

• 5 years later...