Sling loading

While we're at it, do You guys know if creation of the unhook zone (with smoke flare) works? I tried to create one as per manual instructions on page 389, but got stuck on the trigger type, as my drop-down list doesn't have "Cargo unhooked in zone" option (actually it doesn't seem to have any of the options seen on the screenshot from the manual).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Took a look :D. Ah, it's clear now, the unhooked option is found in second window, not the first one as the manual screenshot would suggest. Probably obvious thing for someone who is familiar with mission editor, but not for me, as I've never used triggers before. Edited my own test mission and will check if it works now.

I noticed the pop flare option is available in the third window, so maybe it's not required to create the second trigger zone for that purpose, as You did in Your mission?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I have to say, I am having a lot of fun with this. It's quite a challenge too.

The External Cargo Indicator does not work in VR, is that correct? Can somebody confirm please?

And, it has been mentioned in this thread that the Automatic Voice Assistant will only speak English if the coalition is blue. Can someone confirm this too please?

Here's a pic just for the heck of it. :D I really ought to have a play with the door gunners soon.

16iz434.jpg

Am I the only one struggling with keeping the speed low enough not to break the sling? It's painful now doing long range transportation

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

And, it has been mentioned in this thread that the Automatic Voice Assistant will only speak English if the coalition is blue. Can someone confirm this too please?

Confirmed. However, you could just find the sound files and overwrite the Russian commands with the English ones. I don't think sound files are checked in the integrity check (at least that's the case with the Bf109 sounds I'm using), so it should work for MP as well.

Well, according to an Mi-17 source on the web, the maximum transport speed with a slingloaded howitzer is 200 km/h:

Sling system is intended for transportation of D-30 howitzer by means of helicopter external transport system with capacity of 4+ tons. Maximum capacity of external load system is 16 tons. Maximum transportation speed is 200 km/h.

Sling system consists of four soft chain-links with fastening components, which secure the links to the helicopter’s vital components – two front components ВКИБ.10-17141.00, two rear components ВКИБ.10-17142.00 and a metal bar ВКИБ.14-17145.00 to provide right placement of the system itself, transported unit and fastening components between the sling system and helicopter external transport system.

Together with sling system stabilizing parachute (SP) is applied to prevent rotation and ensure stabilized positioning of the transported unit. SP is secured to the carriage in certain position by a soft chain-link ВКИБ.10-17140.00 and put into operation during the load lifting, when the helicopter gets off the ground.

And than the US army states:

5-9. SLING LOAD THEORY

The behavior of an external load while in flight can greatly affect the performance of the aircraft carrying it; therefore, it is important to minimize the load's drag on the aircraft. High drag coefficients will reduce the airspeed of the aircraft, will take longer to complete the task or cause it to be incomplete because allotted time has expired, and could possibly endanger the aircraft and its crew. (A helicopter pilot will not hesitate to "punch a load" if he feels that his aircraft is endangered.) To minimize drag, it is necessary to stabilize the load. The following methods can be used to accomplish this:

a. Reduce the Airspeed of the Aircraft. Having the aircraft fly slowly enough that the load does not become unstable is the least desirable method to use. This bums extra fuel and takes more time to do less work. Loads should be configured so that they will fly at speeds of 60 knots or more.

Edited by Looney

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Thks Looney.

It seems my slingload breaks when going slightly above 100kph, with less than 1Ton charge, it's perhaps a little sensitive right now.

Do you record the same in-game limits?

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

I have been sling loading VR style in the Huey, there is no camera or indicator, but VR still makes it easier.

I am not getting the voice help though, is this Mi8 only?

The Huey has both the cargo indicator and camera...unless you mean with vr

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Confirmed. However, you could just find the sound files and overwrite the Russian commands with the English ones. I don't think sound files are checked in the integrity check (at least that's the case with the Bf109 sounds I'm using), so it should work for MP as well.

Yes - just remember that updates will switch it back again, so after each one you need to copy it over again.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

It seems my slingload breaks when going slightly above 100kph, with less than 1Ton charge, it's perhaps a little sensitive right now.

Do you record the same in-game limits?

Maybe check wind conditions and such? I have a theory that maybe the rope breaks when it intersects the helicopter fuselage, but haven't actually tested that's the case.

I've normally tried to keep it around 150 kph but have pushed it just over 200 by accident without issues in some situations. I don't think I've ever seen it break it only 100 kph though.

I've used a variety of the new cargo types up to maybe 9,000 pounds and always felt pretty comfortable at 150 kph. But maybe lighter loads are actually more prone to swinging?

Yesterday we tried slingloading CTLD crates with a hefty 24 knots wind. Everytime we flew into the wind and IAS went above 110-120KPH, the line broke.

Only when we had tail wind were we able to go above 120Kph.

We're wondering if this works as intended or if some tweaking is needed?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I can confirm, wind affects max speed heavily, I tested in windless environment and 150+ kph is easily feasible without breaking the line

For this I created a mod where I copied all the ENG sounds to RUS folders.
Zealu I understand you method and it's good for me but since the last update for DCS World 1.5.5.60338.212 we have more sound files into the Russian folder than the English folder, correct ?

In fact 55 sound files for Russian voices versus 50 sound files for English voices

So for obtain the better voice's informations during the loading's operations the best is the Russian voices or English voices ?

Here a screenshot of my DCS who you can see two windows with Russian and English folders:

983751Mi8cargomessages.jpg

If you have any ideas or solutions please can you inform me ?

Thanks in advance, Skull.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no such thing as "Mi-8 cargo" in mission editor, but there should be a total of 14 cargos to choose from. Double check if Your game is properly updated (the current version should be 1.5.5.60565), or run a repair.

Hi ;)

If you edit this file "db_units_ground.lua" you can read all the cargo load for the Mi-8:

cargo( "uh1h_cargo", _("uh1h_cargo"), "ab-212_cargo", 100, 1000, {"Cargos"}, 100, 10000 );

cargo( "ammo_cargo", _("ammo_cargo"), "ammo_box_cargo", 1000, 1500, {"Cargos"}, 1000, 2000 );

cargo( "f_bar_cargo", _("f_bar_cargo"), "f_bar_cargo", 823, 823, {"Cargos"}, 823, 823 ); --f_bar_cargo

cargo( "m117_cargo", _("m117_cargo"), "m117_cargo", 840, 840, {"Cargos"}, 840, 840 );--m117_cargo

cargo( "iso_container", _("iso_container"), "iso_container_cargo", 3800, 4500, {"Cargos"}, 3800, 10000 );--iso_container

cargo( "iso_container_small", _("iso_container_small"), "iso_container_small_cargo", 220, 3200, {"Cargos"}, 2200, 10000 );--iso_container_small

cargo( "barrels_cargo", _("barrels_cargo"), "barrels_cargo", 480, 480, {"Cargos"}, 100, 480);

cargo( "container_cargo", _("container_cargo"), "bw_container_cargo", 100, 1200, {"Cargos"}, 100, 4000 ); --container_cargo

cargo("tetrapod_cargo",_("tetrapod_cargo"),"tetrapod_cargo",5000,5000,{"Cargos"}, 5000,5000);

cargo("fueltank_cargo",_("fueltank_cargo"),"fueltank_cargo",800, 2400,{"Cargos"},800,5000);

cargo("oiltank_cargo",_("oiltank_cargo"),"oiltank_cargo",700, 2300,{"Cargos"},700,5000);

cargo("pipes_big_cargo",_("pipes_big_cargo"),"pipes_big_cargo",4815, 4815,{"Cargos"},4815,4815);

cargo("pipes_small_cargo",_("pipes_small_cargo"),"pipes_small_cargo",4350, 4350,{"Cargos"},4350,4350);

cargo("trunks_small_cargo",_("trunks_small_cargo"),"trunks_small_cargo",5000, 5000,{"Cargos"},5000,5000);

cargo("trunks_long_cargo",_("trunks_long_cargo"),"trunks_long_cargo",4747, 4747,{"Cargos"},4747,4747);

Also the same informations here:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Data

In this moment I use the Mi-8 with cargos missions and all these loads are available in the Mission Editor.

Maybe you have a problem or bug with your DCS Worls, maybe you must repair your DCS ?

Bye, Skull.