For the love of God, please make an option to center the cockpit view!

Teeter

For the love of God, please make an option to center the cockpit view!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. For the love of God, please make an option to center the cockpit view!

• Yes, I would like the default cockpit view to be centered with the current default as an option.
    • No, I would prefer the cockpit view stay off-center for ease of gunsight use.

I understand that it can be done with snapview saving, and that it's offset for using the gunsight, but I think it would be reasonable to make the offset view an option, especially for those of us with trackIRs whom can easily move our head to the side when we need to view down the sight. :thumbup:

/Gregory Smiddy

Programming

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I understand that it can be done with snapview saving

It can, but the problem with the snapview is that the zoom is fixed, and the gunsight view is a view in which you want variable zoom.

What I did with my HOTAS profile was have the view move right for 150ms at the push of a button, which puts the view in position to center the sight at normal zoom. Then I can zoom in and out freely.

I also agree that an Il-2 like view command would be great.

For me I really love this current view, as I use the TrackIR no problem and everything can stay like this.

A quick offset toggle a la Il-2 (Shift F1 :) ) for sure wouldn't hurt.

+1

:thumbup:

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

For me I really love this current view, as I use the TrackIR no problem and everything can stay like this.

+1 leave as is, it really is not very noticeable...

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

From memory, I don't have the sim running now...

With trackir on:

- press RCTRL+F1.

- Place the head and zoom in centered/desired position.

- Save position pressing LALT+0 (numerical keyboard).

Now you had fixed the problem forever.

That is what I did. I do not use a head-tracking device.

Once the reticule goes bye-bye from battle damage, which happens a lot and usually is the first thing to go, I have to slide my head left to use the V-notched iron-sight and the left edge of the glass frame, anyway.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Until they ad an option for your request, you could simply modify your SnapViews.lua

Go to

X:\Users\...\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

make a backup of your SnapVies.lua.

Then open the file with notepad or better note++.

Go to(search for)

SnapViews["FW-190D9"]

scroll down to

[13] = {--default view

and change to

viewAngle = XX.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = 0.000000,

x_trans = 0.000000,

y_trans = 0.000000,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

Save it. And from now on you are perfectly centered inside the Dora. I also changed the default FOV because I hate the optical distortion that comes with high FOV angles.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

There is a MUCH easier way. Just lean your head to the right and press f12 to centre your track IR.

Then your view will be in the middle of the cockpit when you centre your head. You can fix it with a single f12 click.

I do this for all bf109 in all sims. In fact you can finetune the centred position in all cockpit in all axis with a single f12 click. If you think you are too far forward then just lean forward and click f12... your default position will be moved back a little when your head is in natural position.

Edited by Dirty Rotten Flieger

There is a MUCH easier way. Just lean your head to the right and press f12 to centre your track IR.

Then your view will be in the middle of the cockpit when you centre your head. You can fix it with a single f12 click.

I do this for all bf109 in all sims. In fact you can finetune the centred position in all cockpit in all axis with a single f12 click. If you think you are too far forward then just lean forward and click f12... your default position will be moved back a little when your head is in natural position.

This is no thread about the BF109 and this problem has nothing to do with TrackIR.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

This is no thread about the BF109 and this problem has nothing to do with TrackIR.

I think Dirty Rotten was just using the BF109 as an example....

But anyway, with this quite extensive and advanced Sim in terms of cockpit view options there is more than one way to skin a cat. I honestly dont think that such a feature as the OP requests is really needed when the ability to move the center point of view to any which way you desire already exists.

I myself have mapped view up, down, left and right to an unused 4way on the TM Warthog.

Edited by mjolner

Why would people fight against a button for this? You don't have to use it.music_whistling.gif

That was my thinking. Why would anybody be against making this an option? I'm not talking about making a centered view permanent, or even default. Just give the users the option and let them make their own decisions.

/Gregory Smiddy

Programming

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

No need just move your head to the gun sight line.. well like in RL...

I don't understand all the fuss. It is not 'offset as in IL-2/CoD' where you cannot use it without moving your head.

In it's current 'offset' position the rounds still pass through the centre of the gunsight, you do not need to move your head or view to use it. I wish MG had done this in IL-2/CoD instead of the exaggerated pedantic 'it must be real' when with a two dimensional screen it can never be. I think ED have got this absolutely right for our two dimensional viewing.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

The problem I have with this Poll is that it is ambiguous and slanted towards change. For example:

Yes, I would like the default cockpit view to be centered with the current default as an option.

First, the default cockpit view is already centred. It is only the gunsight that is off centre.

Of course the OP meant the default view should have the gunsight centred but that brings two questions.

1. Is the gunsight to be centred on the cockpit coaming, i.e. on the aircraft centreline? That is not historical as it was physically offset and there may be many objections to this even though it gives us a successful 2D solution (also see the previous 'binocular' post by MACADEMIC).

or....

2. Is the entire cockpit view to be offset so as to pull the gunsight into the centre of our screens? This would lead to many objections to flying with the eyeline off the aircraft centreline, especially as the default view.

Also, there is no Poll option for the 'centred gunsight' to be the option rather than the default.

No, I would prefer the cockpit view stay off-center for ease of gunsight use.

Well, if that gives ease of gunsight use, why the Poll? Of course it's just the simple question 'No I would prefer the cockpit view stay off-center with no other changes' because changes are what the first option is about.

By the way, as far as I can see there is no advantage to moving your head with TrackiR because the reticle is already fully in view. In CoD you can't see the reticle centre unless you do move your head. And, as my previous post, the rounds go straight ahead of the gunsight and pass through the reticle centre. The odd thing is tracking a target in normal view and then moving off-centre to fire at it with the offset reticle and gun boresight (which is not historical).

After more thought, my preference would be to align the actual gunsight to the a/c centeline, not historical I know, but that would overcome our binocular vision problem as well as the current need to track a target off the a/c centreline. There are other issues with the offset gunsight: in normal binocular vision we would see along the side of the sight to turn on the gunsight and to see the range setting. As it is you have to move your head with TrackIR or move your head with the keyboard to see the range setting (you can just about see the switch).

My second preference is to leave it alone.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit