illumination bomb release tips

rooster328

Here's a video in TS format of my release for the illumination bombs. I'm still pretty iffy on the parameters on when they release or not. Can anyone offer me any tips?

It seems like a sharp pitch up and then hold the stick steady for a couple of seconds? or keep yanking back on the stick on the pitch?

thanks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12SgHXKfIW4SWaP5rt4mPZzHN-H9H1lBl

Something is very wrong (90degree to be exact). This is a readout from Tacview

lysb.jpg

"pull up at 4Gs" - they release on the throw principle - so if you are diving at 4Gs they will release but you are throwing them at the ground, vs throwing them up and out into the sky.

At least I am concluding you dove based on the image here - if however the image just shows your diving after your pull up release, I would think you pulled up too soon. Do you have the track view from further back with the whole release?

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

I know what I am doing. In that picture I am on my way down to low level after release. This is something I have been doing several times IRL during 1970-80.

From the real world F7 Såtenäs in Sweden. Something happened to the first bomb. Probably to early release of the parachute.

Hattefuran.jpg

Edited by hilmerby

Could you maybe explain what it is you are seeing and what it is you expected instead? Thanks!
I take the liberty to give you my view, if I'm wrong I hope he corrects me. From what I understand from his pictures, the lysbomb in DCS release as a vertical column, while IRL it is supposed to release more like a horizontal row (the left most one in the second picture possibly released to early). That's where the 90deg comes from.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I take the liberty to give you my view, if I'm wrong I hope he corrects me. From what I understand from his pictures, the lysbomb in DCS release as a vertical column, while IRL it is supposed to release more like a horizontal row (the left most one in the second picture possibly released to early). That's where the 90deg comes from.

I know what I am doing. In that picture I am on my way down to low level after release. This is something I have been doing several times IRL during 1970-80.

From the real world F7 Såtenäs in Sweden. Something happened to the first bomb. Probably to early release of the parachute.

Hattefuran.jpg

I meant no disrespect - rather I'm envious of your opportunity to drop the real ones. The track simply only showed you coming down, and, unknowing of your background (and the propensity for people to try and deploy them in a DYK style) it seemed likely you were releasing them in a dive not a climb.

Every example I have seen of a DCS release of them puts them in a vertical line rather than a horizontal string - which I thought was weird, but I've never dealt with aerial deployed flares IRL, just the kind deployed from cannon artillery or by hand.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

Agree with the rooster328 and other guys. On the manual page 321, the section of illumination bomb deployment, the picture shows that bombs should form a horizontal line rather than a vertical line. Also the current vertical line makes some illumination bombs(usually the first 2 bombs) directly hit the ground without even slow down in the air.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...