How do I use TACAN?

jsmpirineos

Make sure your kids switch is on. Its located on the right panel to the right of your navigation alignment switch.

And by "kids" he means MIDS LVT switch. Needs to be turned on on the Avionics Power Panel.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• 2 weeks later...
Why does it not give range for TACAN?

I'm not able to get range to show up either in A-A T/R.

MIDS LVT is on, TACAN needle works because it guides me to the tanker. Grim Reaper example shows the tanker range. Either I'm missing something or it's a WiP

A-A TACAN does only give you the direction but no distance. If you want to have a distance indication, you need to use the normal T/R.

So what's the difference between A-A TACAN and normal?

Actually, from the Viper manual:

A/A T/R. TACAN operates in Air-to-Air transceiver mode and provides bearing, range, deviation, and station

identification with a TACAN-equipped aircraft.

T/R. The TACAN acts in a transceiver mode (send and receive) and provides bearing, range, deviation and

station identification. This will be your most common selection.

probably a bug or WiP

Edited by wraith70

Okay, now this is weird. I also did mutliple times navigation in other planes with A-A T/R, never got any range indication, but as you showed, even in the other manuals, it should display range. Maybe a DCS-wide bug?

It depends on the transmitting TACAN station. As far as I know the KC-10 has bearing and range but he KC135 only has bearing..

A-A TACAN does only give you the direction but no distance. If you want to have a distance indication, you need to use the normal T/R.

A-A TACAN isn't necessarily the same in all cases. Yardstick, where two aircraft interrogate each other's TACAN (with a 63 channel offset between the aircraft) gives you range only. The A-A TACAN systems used in tankers are full TACAN beacons, which have the required additional systems for generating the bearing signals (amplitude modulation of the DME pulses in conjunction with north reference bursts, either with an electrically scanned antenna, or one with director elements rotating around the center antenna element).

Receive only/RCV is the only TACAN mode that only gives you the bearing.