Not Another CDU Tutorial

Shein

... I've made toggle switch that switch my keyboard between aircraft shortcuts and cdu input.

Please, can you elaborate more on this? ... I do try to Map the aircraft's Keypad onto my keyboard numeric keypad, but it is hard sometimes to not conflict with DCS's default keybinds.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Still don’t get the CDU?

I made a tutorial that’s hopefully a little easier to understand.

Hey man, that's a great video, very cool explanation, and very hands on. Well done! :thumbup:

There's a few CDU pages that I think are actually super useful, but those weren't the focus of the video and I think it's okay to just shrug them off.

On the other hand, one thing is actually important: the MGRS grid zone; you said never ever to touch the 38T or the WGS84. The latter is right, I wouldn't even know if it's possible to switch the system to anything other than WGS84. But the grid zone... near Senaki, you're basically right over the border between 37T and 38T. If you take off from Senaki and get a set of MGRS coords in Batumi, good luck flying 300 miles in the wrong direction if you don't change the grid zone first. That part confused the hell out of A-10C pilots (myself included!) for ages; so if you say never to touch it, people will learn something actually wrong. Do you think you could amend or update that part?

That's especially important since the in-game JTAC never issues the grid zone. Pilots have to know (or guess) when the coords are in another grid and may have to change the grid on their own. And this is definitely not a peculiarity of the Caucasus terrain; it's equally important in all current DCS maps. I consider it a must-know feature when it comes to entering MGRS coordinates in the CDU.

Basically, what you need to do is go to dcs A-10C controls menu > press modifier button (down left), and then assign button you want to act as a toggle switch in right column (as a switch). Then go through CDU input controls and assign all letters and commands you want as switch button + key on keyboard.

Holy cow, that's a brilliant idea! Never thought of that. Thanks! :thumbup:

Basically, what you need to do is go to dcs A-10C controls menu > press modifier button (down left), and then assign button you want to act as a toggle switch in right column (as a switch). Then go through CDU input controls and assign all letters and commands you want as that switch button + key on keyboard.

Thank you for the tip .. will give it a try today :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I will when I come home this evening.

Basically, what you need to do is go to dcs A-10C controls menu > press modifier button (down left), and then assign button you want to act as a toggle switch in right column (as a switch). Then go through CDU input controls and assign all letters and commands you want as that switch button + key on keyboard.

This.

Did a similar thing and assigned one of the "not important" toggles on the Warthog HOTAS as a modifier, then bound the numeric pad, along with the letters on the keyboard so I could literally just type in the information and press 'enter' to input the line. Time saver and stream liner for the Hog for sure.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

And this is definitely not a peculiarity of the Caucasus terrain; it's equally important in all current DCS maps. I consider it a must-know feature when it comes to entering MGRS coordinates in the CDU.

Agreed. On Persian Gulf, you have to change grid references at times between 40R and 39R.

I will when I come home this evening.

I did what you said, chose "Capslock" as a switch, bound every letter key and numpad to CDU keys. It's working great, except for Numpad 5: is that key hardwired to some function?

Hey man, that's a great video, very cool explanation, and very hands on. Well done! :thumbup:

There's a few CDU pages that I think are actually super useful, but those weren't the focus of the video and I think it's okay to just shrug them off.

On the other hand, one thing is actually important: the MGRS grid zone; you said never ever to touch the 38T or the WGS84. The latter is right, I wouldn't even know if it's possible to switch the system to anything other than WGS84. But the grid zone... near Senaki, you're basically right over the border between 37T and 38T. If you take off from Senaki and get a set of MGRS coords in Batumi, good luck flying 300 miles in the wrong direction if you don't change the grid zone first. That part confused the hell out of A-10C pilots (myself included!) for ages; so if you say never to touch it, people will learn something actually wrong. Do you think you could amend or update that part?

That's especially important since the in-game JTAC never issues the grid zone. Pilots have to know (or guess) when the coords are in another grid and may have to change the grid on their own. And this is definitely not a peculiarity of the Caucasus terrain; it's equally important in all current DCS maps. I consider it a must-know feature when it comes to entering MGRS coordinates in the CDU.

Thanks for pointing out that oversight! I added an update in the description... since apparently you can't annotate youtube videos anymore...? super irritating. Anyway, thanks for the help!

I did what you said, chose "Capslock" as a switch, bound every letter key and numpad to CDU keys. It's working great, except for Numpad 5: is that key hardwired to some function?

Check one of the "view" controls - if I recall correctly, one of the view options/controls was bound to that key. If not in the view section, might be in the UI layer. The controls that are not "aircraft specific" will take priority over any controls bound to a particular aircraft. I know it can be bound, as I have them bound to the A10C as well as the F/A-18C.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Do people not like the default hotkeys? I always thought the current one's were very clever made and I manually set them up, in other aircrafts with number keypads (Tomcat, Hornet) etc. that don't have them by default.

Sometimes (not often) I use default ingame hotkeys for stuff, especially view keys.

Do people not like the default hotkeys? I always thought the current one's were very clever made and I manually set them up, in other aircrafts with number keypads (Tomcat, Hornet) etc. that don't have them by default.

Sometimes (not often) I use default ingame hotkeys for stuff, especially view keys.

Default shortcuts?

Cheers,

Don

Please, can you elaborate more on this? ... I do try to Map the aircraft's Keypad onto my keyboard numeric keypad, but it is hard sometimes to not conflict with DCS's default keybinds.

I use CAPS LOCK as an on/off modifier and assigned all needed cdu letters to their corresponding keys on the keyboard.

So to input something in the CDU I first hit CAPS LOCK, type away and then hit CAPS LOCK again. Works very well.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Nikola, daarseth, thanks for your advices, the problem laid in having Numpad5 bound to recenter VR view in the UI layer, now it works like a charm!

And thanks to Shein for his tutorial, not only it helped me with the Hog, it also showed me a way of expedite data input in any jet I hadn't thought about!

:thumbup:

Just jumping on the bandwagon . . . best CDU tutorial yet!

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

where were you all my life?? great work buddy!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Nikola, daarseth, thanks for your advices, the problem laid in having Numpad5 bound to recenter VR view in the UI layer, now it works like a charm!

And thanks to Shein for his tutorial, not only it helped me with the Hog, it also showed me a way of expedite data input in any jet I hadn't thought about!

:thumbup:

Happy to be of some assistance, little or big.

Cheers,

Don