F18 or F16

john9001

I enjoy the F-18 much more .. it is simply more finished than the 16, and Carrier operations are very enjoyable.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I enjoy the F-18 much more .. it is simply more finished than the 16, and Carrier operations are very enjoyable.

+1 :D

carrier landings. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Both are great. The F-16 still has to catch up a bit, but this will come in the next couple weeks / months.

Pick whatever airframe you have more interest in.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

currently the F16 is the best at A2A, the F18 seems to have torubles with locking targets and keeping lock.

90% of engagements I'm having in the F18 end with me getting frustrated as I cannot lock a F16 locking me at 10nm even playing with the radar to attempt a lock. Its fine if you get into visual range tho with the ACM mode to lock up, which is how you're having to fly the F18 currently.

Jump into an F16 not a single problem. I am more familure with F16 systems and sensors having come from BMS, however there isn't much in terms of basic applications and operations.

There a post I've added to explaining my experience. It's in the F18 section.

Edited by Orr89

I never have any uncommon issues with locking bandits in the F-18. It is loosing lock now and then, yes that is frustrating, but the Hornet offers you so many cool automatic target acquisition possibilities, it is just a joy to lock targets. Specially the long range helmet acquisition mode is OP.

Sniping targets up to 40nm with just a turn of your head is awesome.

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

Yeah, I'd say hornet, for all the same reasons as everyone else. If nothing else its much more complete and you can do good A/G sorties with it, while the Viper is currently rather limited in that regard. A/A they are roughly more equal IMO in terms of development state, but the hornet is a bit more complete.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hornet, all day long.

Does everything the F-16 can do (with two engines), plus carrier ops and probe-and-drogue refueling. Easily the best all-rounder in DCS to my mind.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Growing up I hated the F18, loved the F-16. I purchased the F-18 simply because it was the closest thing to an F-16 in DCS at the time.

Playing DCS has totally reversed that option. F-18 is an awesome plane, and I highly recommend it. I'll admit I'm an F-16 novice, but any time I find time to fly, I tend towards the F-18 now. Just a joy to fly and use.

Hornet of course.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

I really enjoy the F-16 in other sims but the one we have in DCS right now in January 2020 is rather frustrating if I'm being honest. It's really unfinished and will lead to negative training. Grab the Hornet.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I really enjoy the F-16 in other sims but the one we have in DCS right now in January 2020 is rather frustrating if I'm being honest. It's really unfinished and will lead to negative training. Grab the Hornet.

Yeah mostly this. I'm trying not fly the viper much till it gets improved here soon. Then again, negative training and the hornet TPOD is very much a real issue too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

F-16C bl 50, plane for people

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

I have neither, but I am waiting for F-16C to be more polished, just because it currently used by several forces in the middle east (and even produced in Turkey?). So it kinda feels current. I think the hornet is only used by Kuwait Air force?.

For A2A I prefer the Viper. Its crazy fast and can easily eat any fighters in head to head combat even against the Tomcat (if you know enough how to deal with it). I've seen some guys made awesome scores in MP like 20 (even more) to 0 kill ratio. Yes it depends on pilot skill but it also a proof how deadly Viper is.

For A2G I love the Hornet. It has many weapons to choose from dumb bombs to long range JSOW while still can defend itself from enemy CAP.

So, get Hornet now and Viper later

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

So accurately took some time out last night and learnt a little more about the hornet, and I have to say I was impressed.

So I come from a BMS background (as stated before) so I love the F16 but this hornet last night seriously impressed me. up to the point I put away my Viper HOTAS setup until later on in the year.

There are some quarks but nothing you can't deal with. I did post in the F18 forums regarding loosing track during a2a, but this has now improved (still an issues mind you). For now I seem to be able to lock a target and track it, for a little longer then before.

Overall the F18 is right choice and the F16 will follow to its bigger brother when update i'm sure but from a dedicated viper pilot (me) I'm now flying to learn the F18 more.

oh and CARRIER OPS, who can say no to that!

I started DCS during the last sale and the bought Hornet, F16 and later the JF-17 (I know that I spend way too much money :) )

But I fly the Hornet way more than the F16, it feels more complete and easier to learn and I like the cockpit layout more.

I'm definitely not a expert but if I have to choose again I would go for the Hornet.

And I find air to air refueling much easier in the Hornet, but the F16 is the best looking plane ever if you ask me :)

Me personally, I choose Hornet as it is almost finished. I have both modules, but stop playing Viper since it's still in a very early stage. Will go and try the viper again in a few months when it already have more complete features.

i9 9900K | GTX 1080 Ti Strix 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | M2 SSD 512 | SSD 1T | 2x HDD 2T | TM Warthog Stick & Throttle | TM TPR | TM MFD | TrackIR 5 Pro | Rift S