Decision time - Index v Pimax 5k+ (or wait 8kX) - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #31
Gunnars Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlingerAUS View Post
The Reverb is bogged down to 45fps with async reproj on a 2080 Ti, which I find unacceptable due to the ghosting and stuttering.
A parenteris to 8KX:
(Strange, I think we have quite comparable hardware. I come from 3 year of Rift CV1 and after upgrading H/W and starting to use the Reverb I think the equivalent to ASW ( motionprojection) is better and as long as the FPS, or more exact; the time to produce a frame isnt longer than the 45FPS time limit( 22ms) there is not even a single stutter or ghosting. Much better than oculus ASW. Still got the CV1 an with the new hardware it also is smooth, mostly but I think this is due to a good overhead in GPU performance.)

I was looking into Pimax but was afraid to not getting it work good enough to enjoy gaming in DCS. I know they work far enough in other games I play.
The DCS and pimax not running properly got me to buy the Reverbs now, but I feel its only a between Oculus CV1 and next generation of VR with a lot better FOV.

Really holding my thumbs for 8KX for the upcoming weeks to see how people manage to make them work with DCS.
Gunnars Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #32
Chivas

DCS was one of the prime sims constantly demoed on the Pimax 8Kx at CES etc. I'm sure Pimax would have steered clear of DCS if they couldn't run it smoothly.
Chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #33
Terry

for those with an Index and a Reverb, I believe from all the reviews the Reverb is a lot sharper however does this cause a massive hit on FPS in DCS compared to the Index? I'm assuming it doesn't as you don't have to upscale as much in SteamVR but I would like to know for sure.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #34
Gunnars Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
for those with an Index and a Reverb, I believe from all the reviews the Reverb is a lot sharper however does this cause a massive hit on FPS in DCS compared to the Index? I'm assuming it doesn't as you don't have to upscale as much in SteamVR but I would like to know for sure.
Havent tried the Index but for me with high end CPU/GPU and Reverb there really is no performance issues. Smooth gaming, not really seeing any hits below 45fps and the ASW-version ( reprojection) works reaaly nice. No stutter or ghosting.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #35
Gunnars Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
DCS was one of the prime sims constantly demoed on the Pimax 8Kx at CES etc. I'm sure Pimax would have steered clear of DCS if they couldn't run it smoothly.
I will hold my thumbs for that :-)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:19 AM   #36
GunSlingerAUS

Can you please describe the asynchronous reprojection perdoance? Ie how smooth did it look compared to the stutter-fest of the Reverb, as well as the average frame rate you saw?
Intel i7-9700K OCd to 5GHz w/ water cooling; 32GB DDR4 3866MHz; Aorus RTX 2080 Ti; Asus Hero XI motherboard; Samsung 2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSD; 1TB ADATA mSATA SSD; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Sennheiser GSX1200 headphone amp w/ BeyerDynamix MMX300 headphones; LG 34gk950f 34" 144Hz 3440 x 1440 display; HP Reverb HMD; Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and TFRP pedals; TrackIR5; Razer Viper Ultimate mouse; SteelSeries APEX Pro keyboard; one very happy gamer behind it all!
GunSlingerAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #37
Gunnars Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlingerAUS View Post
Can you please describe the asynchronous reprojection perdoance? Ie how smooth did it look compared to the stutter-fest of the Reverb, as well as the average frame rate you saw?
100% smooth with the reverb (motionreprojectionmode auto) no stutter at all. If I tune the settings so it cannot keep 45fps of course it will not be smooth as the framerate is less then needed. Using the fpsVR I can see that DCS will flow 100% smooth as long as the CPU or GPU dont need to much time to produce a frame. With motionreprojection in auto the maximum frametime allowed is 22.2ms. As long as I don’t bog the hardware down with too high settings, it’ll keep 45fps and no stutter and no ghosting at all.

With the Oculus( and at least with the old hardware) if tuned to around the same framerate I sometimes got ghosting anyway.

I dont know if this smoothness or stuttering cases can be sen if I record a video of a flight.

With motionreprojection or ASW set to off, there wont be a smooth ride (off course) as long as the frame time keeps below 11.1ms at all times.
[Edited the word stuttering to ghosting on the oculus]

Last edited by Gunnars Driver; 01-19-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #38
Gunnars Driver

I think the key to easy finding the sweet spot in settings is the fpsVR and looking att the frame time for both the CPU and the GPU at times when DCS isnt flowing smoothly. Either the CPU or GPU will show more than 22.2ms for motionreproj or 11.1 for motionreproj off.
When this happens you need to find what setting that is the “too much” factor and lower this setting.
With fpsVR it just took me a few hours, the same with Oculus took way longer, as I couldnt see how changed settings affected the CPU and GPU frame time. Only thing that could be seen withot fpsVR is when the fps go below 45.