New 2020 update sounds great! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #21
Fri13
Veteran

DCS World is now in the major corner since its release.

When the DCS World was released, Eagle Dynamics laid down foundation for the very complex Modern War simulator (that should have stay focusing < 1991 aircrafts, meaning F/A-18C Lot 10 / Block 23, and F-16C Block 25 or 30/32 where both have been from 1987!) and the major deal with DCS World was the idea of the "Modules". Instead having a "Flaming Cliffs" where you have one game and all the aircrafts comes in one game, and then add new aircrafts via upgrade packages like FC2 and FC3, ED changed to this current "DCS World and Modules".

And that is major major thing. No more yearly updates to game engine but constant updating. And constant developing. New modules to be released as the projects advances etc.

And what 2020 is going to be, is likely one of the most major development advancements for the DCS World, not to the modules.

Features like Air-to-Ground radar, weather, new Terrain Engine, new graphics engine, a new AI and Combined Arms that heavily leans to everything of that. New Real-Time Strategy elements, new functions to airfields etc etc.

None of that is a small thing even alone. And none of that is directly with any other module than Combined Arms. As even the A-G radar features are for all modules than just Hornet and Viper, it is opposite where that technology is used by modules, instead modules features that is used by DCS World.

So far the DCS World has been about single core performance and single CPU performance, limited by the CPU. And with new terrain and graphics engines there is possibility for big improvements.

DCS World as is works fine (25-30 FPS at minimum) with 10 years old computer, if it was top at the time. Meaning like computer with 4 cores and 8-16GB of RAM it does fine at FHD resolution. But I wouldn' take it anywhere near Virtual Reality with such. Where I would focus heavily only for 2-3 years old top model.

But DCS World is not for average players, it never be for flying. The only module that can even remotely attract average players is the Combined Arms module, depending how well ED can use it to turn DCS World as big scale modern RTS game, challenging games like Wargame, Unity of Command and other RTS games, tapping a huge gamerbase with RTS elements.

The 2020 is laying down the foundation for the next decade, and that is done in core elements.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 AM   #22
Konovalov

I share the sentiments of many here in that I would like to see significant progress made on the actual DCS World platform itself. I know ED have been upfront is saying that half of the entire ED team is working on core features and that is great. The last module I purchased was the Viper and I don't see myself spending any further money on new modules (with the exception of new maps) until the core of DCS World is improved from its current state. 2020 does sound promising and with that I wait in anticipation to what ED will bring to the core DCS World.
Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #23
Terrorvogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov View Post
I share the sentiments of many here in that I would like to see significant progress made on the actual DCS World platform itself. I know ED have been upfront is saying that half of the entire ED team is working on core features and that is great. The last module I purchased was the Viper and I don't see myself spending any further money on new modules (with the exception of new maps) until the core of DCS World is improved from its current state. 2020 does sound promising and with that I wait in anticipation to what ED will bring to the core DCS World.
1+
ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...
Terrorvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
BoneDust

Quote:
+1

Spoiler:
Windows® 10 Home Premium | 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (Cores 6) (Logical/Core 2) | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | 1 X 1TB SSD | 1 X 275GB SSD | Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card | 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz | Oculus Rift S
BoneDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #25
Pizzicato

Quote:
The last module I purchased was the Viper and I don't see myself spending any further money on new modules (with the exception of new maps) until the core of DCS World is improved from its current state. 2020 does sound promising and with that I wait in anticipation to what ED will bring to the core DCS World.
Same. I've got a whole bunch of wonderful modules to play with. What I really need now is interesting things to do with those modules in an immersive and compelling environment.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #26
Emra

Default Looking Forward to a Conservative 2020

I have shared my lot of criticism over the years with DCS but in the end who does what they do better? . . . Lol. . . if that even sounds reasonable.

I get the "beta" culture (pre-release) in software development, I don`t agree with it, but it is what it is and people need to make a living regardless of fiscal irresponsibility or living above their means. We all do it from time to time.

This is why I am somewhat conservative about when I purchase a particular module. Case in point: I love the Viper but simply won`t buy it until it is finished.

Having said this, I do have other "unfinished" modules to keep me satisfied for now anyway. I guess if the pre-purchase culture keeps the passion going then we all have something to be thankful for in this wonderful hobby we all share. The last thing to stave off burn-out is the ability to live in comfort while paying the bills. When burn-out occurs it is all but over.

Criticism is good but people need to hear a few encouraging words along the journey as well. Despite my woes I support DCS because they seem to care about their supporters even though at times they appear to bite off more than they can chew.

At the end of the day I am grateful that I can jump into the cockpit "cold-and dark" after a hard days work, listen to the pitter-patter of rain on the canopy, warm up the bird, throw some switches, taxi, take-off, fly, and land somewhere to my choosing. All with fantastic visuals with an assemblage of virtual reality coupled with some comfort. DCS to me is a cockpit simulator. All the rest is gravy.

Looking forward to what 2020 brings.

Cheers.

Last edited by Emra; 01-17-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Emra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #27
Redgum

Total newcomer to the game, and have to say that I do understand performance issues can be a serious downer.

However, having spent less than $1200 on this rig I built a few years back, I get pretty decent performance from it. I don't know what your settings are, but I have set my screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 and most items for detail are high. The graphics are decent and the framerate has zero stutter so far in my single player games.

My main system runs an i7 and there's 16GB of ram. I'm running a pair of Samsung 1TB SSD's in RAID-0 for OS and game.

GPU is an ATI Radeon 970 - nothing special here. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and have anti-virus and some other utils running in the background.

Now, if you're trying to run this at ULTRA I don't know what the requirements would be, but logically, I might suggest reeling back a little. Try toning down the details to better match the capabilities of your particular setup.

Fair winds mister.
Redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #28
Emra

I run an I7 8700K, 32MB DDR4 3200 MHz Ram, GTX1080ti, Samsung M.2 NVMe drive, @4K. The 1080ti allows me to run at 4K, otherwise I have to nerf my monitor.

Everything is silky smooth apart from a few "very" heavy missions. 32MB Ram helps with the larger missions. Whenever I get frustrated with stuttering P3D I go back to silky smooth DCS for recovery. . . Lol.

Last edited by Emra; 01-18-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Emra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #29
The Falcon

Quote:
+1
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote