Q&A Spitfire Mk XIV

Interesting thread, probably way to late but in my humble opinion the Mk16 would be the way forward. The last of the Merlin variants and the most beautiful aircraft ever made.

We will be doing a MkXVI at a later date as part of the BBMF pack (pending agreements etc etc)

Pman

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto: it took guts, whether an RAF pilot, or a Jagdflieger to even climb into one of these engines with fuselage and wings attached and take off, knowing that so many people on the other side were doing their best to ensure that you wouldn't return. Good training and combat experience helped settle the nerves, but it couldn't stop that flak hit, or being shot down by an opposing pilot taking advantage of even the briefest lapse in concentration.

Or shot down by your own side even, something that seems to have happened quite often in the thick of it.

How about an F.21? My personal favourite (with Contra-rotating props please! :joystick:)

:)

If the model that then it is a small stretch to put four of those engines together on to a modified Lancaster fuselage and call it a Shackleton

3000 rivits flying loosely in formation

:pilotfly:

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

You're pretty hard on him, "Boss Ellis"! :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just open the Window and throw him some candy! Should motivate enough... at least that worked for me most of the time! ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Don't you think I've got enough on my plate without worrying about contra rotating props lol

Not something that's even on my drawing board at the moment

If we ever look at it then it's in the 5 years+ column

Pman

i'll have to reinstall il2 and download a mk21 now! Mmm high fidelity flight models!

I think your doing good....matter o' fact...you go ahead and take the day off(paid)...the office will be fine without you for a day....go get some sun....

Huzzzah Freedom!

What the....

No you don't!!! get back to work in that dark pit you mushroom!!!

Boo Hiss

You're pretty hard on him, "Boss Ellis"! :D

Finally someone knows!

We got a product to get out the door in 2 weeks...we could always delay Hawk release so Pete can enjoy some sunshine??

Shall I tell the community to come knocking on your door as you gave him permission???

No, I thought not ;)

hehe

Boo Hiss

Just open the Window and throw him some candy! Should motivate enough... at least that worked for me most of the time! ;)

Make it a chicken and we have a deal! :megalol: :thumbup:

Is this when we'll all be shouting with excitement as we're downloading the Hawk then? :music_whistling:

Couldnt possible comment :music_whistling:

Pman

Where's the fun in work, if there is no fun? :D

Shagrat

Make it for the 1st of september...

All the people who finish holidays at that date will be... happy...:devil_2:

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

• 2 months later...

Some various Some additional gun dispersion data, via Olivier Lefebrve / AAW. This might come in handy for modelling the Hispano guns on the Spitfire IX.

Unfortunately only nose mount dispersion data available for the gun, as mounted in the P-38 nose, but given that German results for the same guns in the fuselage and wings display roughly 2-2,5x higher dispersion for wing mounted installations, it would be easy to make an educated guess for the dispersion of the Hispano, and if we get an E variant, for the .50 M2s in the flexible Spitfire wing.

Here are the results of a lenghty research into dispersion data, which is quite hard to come by...

The data is based on 100% diameter dispersion with 1 mil = 1/1000th of rad, the kind of mount is precised next to the weapon. 75% dispersion diameter is supposed to be half the 100% diameter which seems quite true for most weapons, this value is provided when quoted in the source (M2 data for instance).

We can clearly see the impact of the wing mounting compared to engine mounting, the later seems to have absorbed recoil and vibration much better... indeed dispersion is at least 2 times greater with wing mounted weapons.

Engine mount are the most efficient but nose mounting or cowling mounting does not provide the same amount of precision the mount being much more prone to vibration it seems.

Note that US data on the M2 is confusing since the reference data comes from a P-38 nose mounted M2, but the US manuals use the same dispersion data for wing mounted weapons. Either the P-38 mounts are really up to no good or the manuals make a wrong assumption when it comes to wing dispersion. I tend to believe the later, i think the wing mounted M2 would have had a dispersion of at least 12mils and probably more.

If you quote this data on other sites/bbs please precise the source being AAW. TIA

H means Height (or max dispersion diameter) as i previously used vertical and lateral dispersion values.

D means distance.

Units are metric.

German Weapons

-----------------------

MG-17 Cowling mounted (Bf 109F-2 / Bf 109F-1 actual tests)

H = 0.60 / 0.8 m

D = 100 m

R/D = 60/10000 80/10000

= 6 mils / 8 mils

MG-131 Cowling mounted (Fw 190A - theorical max)

H = 1m

D = 100m

H/D = 100/10000

= 10 mils

MG-151/15 Engine mounted (Bf 109F-2 actual test)

H = 0,35 m

D = 100 m

H/D = 35/10000

= 3.5 mils

MG-FF Engine mounted (Bf 109F-1 actual test)

H = 0,2 m

D = 100m

H/D = 20/10000

= 2 mils (very tight patern)

MG-FF Wing mounted (Bf 109E-3 actual test)

H = 0,35 m

D = 100m

H/D = 35/10000

= 3.5 mils

MG 151/20 Engine mounted (Bf 109G-6 - theorical max)

H = 0.3m

D = 100m

H/D = 30/10000

= 3 mils

MG 151/20 Wing mounted - inner (Fw 190A - theorical max)

H = 0.7m

D = 100m

H/D = 70/10000

= 7 mils

MG 151/20 Wing mounted - outer (Fw 190A - theorical max)

H = 0.8m

D = 100m

H/D = 80/10000

= 8 mils

MK 108 Engine mounted (Ta 152 - therorical max)

H = 0.35

D = 100m

H/D = 35/10000

= 3.5 mils

Allied Weapons

------------------

M2 Nose mounted P-38 (USAAF 1944 Gunnery manual)

H = 1.88 m

D = 229 m

H/D = 188/22900

= 8.2 mils (75% = 4.1 mils)

Hispano 20mm Nose mounted P-38 (USAAF 1944 Gunnery manual)

3 mils 75%

6 mils 100% assumed

Edited by Kurfürst

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

Look up the Mark XIVe armament for the answer.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.