Q&A Spitfire Mk XIV

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear you'll be using the real thing for the sounds. An area often overlooked. Wasn't DCS: P51 done using the real thing though? I find that somewhat underwhelming at times so I hope you guys can pull it off, while it is no Merlin, the Griffon does have an awesome and powerful sound.. I'd love the full elliptical wing, it's just more appealing, I never did like the clipped wings. But accuracy is even more important so that decision is very understandable. I'm sure we'll see plenty of full winged versions over the years anyway. All the best on this one as with everything else you have on your plates.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I think the hot sauce would damage something.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Great to hear you'll be using the real thing for the sounds. An area often overlooked. Wasn't DCS: P51 done using the real thing though? I find that somewhat underwhelming at times so I hope you guys can pull it off, while it is no Merlin, the Griffon does have an awesome and powerful sound.. I'd love the full elliptical wing, it's just more appealing, I never did like the clipped wings. But accuracy is even more important so that decision is very understandable. I'm sure we'll see plenty of full winged versions over the years anyway. All the best on this one as with everything else you have on your plates.

I prefer clipped wing since spitfire xiv turn rate/climb/speed already good enough, roll rate is the last chance for Dora but clipped wing finishes it.:D

The only ultimate performace spitire XIV coudn't provide is dive while Dora shares rough same dive acceleration with XIV. If you wanna experience best piston dive, get tempest/p47P51s.

naca868-rollchart.jpg

Edited by tempestglen

I'm very surprised by that graph! Clipped wings made an enormous difference it seems. And even up to 300mph IAS the full wing spit wasn't as bad as I feared in roll.

I'd like to see data for the early fabric aelerons, solid spar and mk 21+ wings. Not relevant to veao's work (as far as i know...) but its claimed the late wings improved rollrate and the fabric aelerons of the early spurs were shockingly bad.

You do know that the Spitfire in the graph is a MK V.

I dont think that was meant as a reference for the MkXiv but more as an indication as to the marked improvement clipped wings gives vs eliptical ones.

Personally I look forward to smacking a few 190's in a spit XIV

As for the fabric ailerons I haven't gathered detailed data on the early models so I can't confirm or dispute that. Yet.

Pman

I'm very surprised by that graph! Clipped wings made an enormous difference it seems. And even up to 300mph IAS the full wing spit wasn't as bad as I feared in roll.

I'd like to see data for the early fabric aelerons, solid spar and mk 21+ wings. Not relevant to veao's work (as far as i know...) but its claimed the late wings improved rollrate and the fabric aelerons of the early spurs were shockingly bad.

Mk21? Of course its roll rate is awesome, but turn rate maybe degraded.

wade-roll.jpg

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/sl-wade.html

I dont think that was meant as a reference for the MkXiv but more as an indication as to the marked improvement clipped wings gives vs eliptical ones.

Personally I look forward to smacking a few 190's in a spit XIV

As for the fabric ailerons I haven't gathered detailed data on the early models so I can't confirm or dispute that. Yet.

Pman

Spitfire XIVs take the high speed&altitude air supremacy role; 25lbs spitfire IX in charge of low-medium dog fight, Tempest MKVs apply hit and run; Typhoons do ground attack, that's best configuration of WWII tactic air force.

Spitfire XIV is the best energy fighter in WWII. Britain tactic fighters was leading till 1960S. BAE lightning outperforms Mig21.:)

I prefer clipped wing since spitfire xiv turn rate/climb/speed already good enough, roll rate is the last chance for Dora but clipped wing finishes it.biggrin.gif

I was speaking purely from an aesthetic point of view lol. cool graph though. I just don't like the look of the clipped wing or the bubble canopy look on the Spitfire so much personally. But I'm looking forward to this non the less, it is sure to be a winner.

Maybe later on we'll see a Griffon powered Spit like this F MK21... :music_whistling:

SpitfireFMK21_zps0c609a92.jpg

Different wing entirely...

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I was speaking purely from an aesthetic point of view lol. cool graph though. I just don't like the look of the clipped wing or the bubble canopy look on the Spitfire so much personally. But I'm looking forward to this non the less, it is sure to be a winner.

Maybe later on we'll see a Griffon powered Spit like this F MK21... :music_whistling:

SpitfireFMK21_zps0c609a92.jpg

Different wing entirely...

Hah funny you should mention that one, one of my dev team is yapping on about that almost daily (you know who you are!!)

I personally like the Seafang, MkXiV and MkXIX

Also got a soft spot for Mkv and Ia's

Pman

Haha he has good taste, two against one then... what a machine!! MK XIX is a beauty also though. :thumbup:

The MK.9 is still the nicest though.

Bah, who said I was against it? ;)

Just a case that we don't have a contract for one at the moment

Pman

Yes!

Even some unflyable AI bombers would be a huge deal. Can't imagine the AI routine would be too tough to program. Take off, fly to waypoints, fly home, land. Use exisiting AI from .50 ground units for defense. Viola!

EDIT: Sorry to wander off topic. Back to the Spit!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access