Q&A Spitfire Mk XIV

Thanks for posting the articles Friedrich. Yep, the Mk14's performance will be impressive on all points and will probably make it very hard for K4's in 1v1 scenarios. Probably safest to keep your K4 in the hangar when this one is in the vicinity! :music_whistling:

Well, many PC pilots are still up and out of the hangar in the Spit IX despite the K4's and the Dora making it hard for them, so I am sure a little old Spit Mk14 won't frighten anyone. :D

Me 262 should eventually be up and about too, but we are not scared; we have guns, bullets too, we are all going on a lion hunt. :)

Even the P40 will be mixing it up against the K4 and Dora soon and that will be proper hard me thinks. :pilotfly:

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see "quite a few" old faces here, who have been active from as early as Il2 period, debated a lot in the past, and the story of Kurfust vs Williams. Has either side won the 12 years long debate? No. And I appreciate Pman's way of thinking : reference the real plane in real world, and ignore the game balance issue, for a simmer, the "game balance" is poison.

I'm eager to buy XIV, even paying $100 for it, since TempestMKV is far from appearing in DCS, Spitfire XIV is the only late WWII aircraft for RAF.

Edited by tempestglen

Enjoyed reading those old articles Friedrich, thank you for posting those. I can't say I'm quite as fussed about the minute details as some of our undoubted experts here, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, but I'm sure that the one thing better than having a Spitfire in DCS is having two Spitfires. Very much looking forward to seeing what the devs release.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I still pray you make the full wing version, esp. since the increase in roll rate wasn't that pronounced with the clipped wing, and for the massive loss in lift it wasn't worth it IMHO.

Find me a picture of a full wing bubble (low back) canopy Mk XIV from 1944/45 :music_whistling: ;)

Don't get me wrong I would like one as well, however by the time low backs arrived the MoD has enforced clipped wings IIRC :(

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Find me a picture of a full wing bubble (low back) canopy Mk XIV from 1944/45 :music_whistling: ;)

Don't get me wrong I would like one as well, however by the time low backs arrived the MoD has enforced clipped wings IIRC :(

Interesting challenge accepted! I'm not sure if I've succeeded or not (probably not) but I found a photo of what appears (to my untrained eye) as a full wing (not clipped), full bubble canopy MkIV Spitfire, serial RM785, assigned with 401 squadron from October 1944 - April 1945 (when it was recorded as crashed - fatal). All the info and image are from Spitfire the History (Morgan & Shacklady) page 416 & 425. The Spitfire pictured in the photo above is RM701, with RM785 below. It doesn't state when the photo was taken (for either Spit).

[Edit] NB: on page 411 Morgan & Shacklady say that (some time) following 19th September 1944 'increased loads (of weighed production model) affected a number of Mk XIVs to the extent of local skin buckling on wings and fuselage at load attachment points, and some pilots were nervously reporting the slightest wrinkle'. The RAF issued instructions that all Mk XIVs were to be retrospectively fitted with clipped wings.

scan0005.thumb.jpg.169a24cfc627f54ce534a9784cdfdf1a.jpg

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

Look how much nicer the low back looks, clip it's wings and it's perfect :)

Hubba hubba ;)

No plans to provide full tips at the moment guys, maybe just maybe once it's in beta, we have left space on the unwraps but nothing else towards full tips has been done so far.

All depends on how much work it will be to put both options there, if we can do it without spending months on it then maybe, if it will take ages then I think you'll have to learn to love clipped wings :)

Pman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting challenge accepted! I'm not sure if I've succeeded or not (probably not) but I found a photo of what appears (to my untrained eye) as a full wing (not clipped), full bubble canopy MkIV Spitfire, serial RM785, assigned with 401 squadron from October 1944 - April 1945 (when it was recorded as crashed - fatal). All the info and image are from Spitfire the History (Morgan & Shacklady) page 416 & 425. The Spitfire pictured in the photo above is RM701, with RM785 below. It doesn't state when the photo was taken (for either Spit).

[Edit] NB: on page 411 Morgan & Shacklady say that (some time) following 19th September 1944 'increased loads (of weighed production model) affected a number of Mk XIVs to the extent of local skin buckling on wings and fuselage at load attachment points, and some pilots were nervously reporting the slightest wrinkle'. The RAF issued instructions that all Mk XIVs were to be retrospectively fitted with clipped wings.

Interesting, this photo of RM785 does not have squadron codes or a/c code on it so it most likely was taken prior to delivery to the squadron on 22 Oct 44. It looks like a factory photo typical of the time. It does not appear to have been issued to any other squadron and went form 30MU to 401 on that date. RM787 to RM793 were delivered to 41 Squadron at Lympne on the 26 and 27th of August 44 as was RM770 so it appears that there was a delay for some reason in delivering RM785. Maybe it was used for some testing which is why we have a photo of it without markings prior to delivery.

Nice catch :thumbup:

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Well if it has the clipped wing, yeah turn performance is going to suffer. (Not much, but still)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Interesting, this photo of RM785 does not have squadron codes or a/c code on it so it most likely was taken prior to delivery to the squadron on 22 Oct 44. It looks like a factory photo typical of the time. It does not appear to have been issued to any other squadron and went form 30MU to 401 on that date. RM787 to RM793 were delivered to 41 Squadron at Lympne on the 26 and 27th of August 44 as was RM770 so it appears that there was a delay for some reason in delivering RM785. Maybe it was used for some testing which is why we have a photo of it without markings prior to delivery.

Are you sure you got the dates right? Cause I read that RM785 was transferred 19.04.45 to 401S and crashed about a month later 22.05.45. I am pretty sure that apart from receiving a few Mk XIVs in 4-5/45, 401S was flying Mk IXs exclusively during that period. (later also Mk XVI) From what I read RM784/785 were used for testing the new canopy at Boscombe Down.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

• 3 months later...

Sad to see the Spitfire not developed as a lot of work had been done by the look of things and the cockpit looked great.:cry:

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV