Q&A Spitfire Mk XIV

Im counting on its good dive speed, something that is often overlooked. If it can get close to the Spit's IX turn radius, it's going to be deadly in the right hands. I think it should already be superior to the Spit IX in its roll rate. In any case Im not worried. :)

Perhaps it will be better than the IX we have now, but when we get the clipped wing IX the only aircraft that could out roll her was the 190 IIRC :D

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on the plate was meant to mean not released, and when I said further along with the hawk I meant there are bugs reported over a year if not longer that haven't been fixed ie' ghost bombs staying on pylons and I know this because I was one of the first to report this bug. TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

Hey guys,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - I posted the pic just before I went to bed last night and it's been a very long day at my day job so I haven't had chance to check the forums... I'll do my best to answer some of the questions posted :)

:surprise:

Looking great!

Cheers Krupi - Have I ever mentioned that I'm enjoying this project? :music_whistling:

What's up with the textures on the IX? it looks really weird

Hi Wissam, yes, Krupi was correct. Currently, there is no template for the Mk IX so we're having to rely on the normal map for the panel line and rivet detail. As there's not a lot of light in the pic posted, the map isn't really popping so it looks a little flat.

I know it's all WIP but looking at that last pics it seem that the textures works in different way about the light's rendering (difference with the close ED's Spitfighter is remarkable).

I noted the same thing (light's rendering) in the last Kittyhawk screen.

Anyway thanks for the pics!

Bye

Phant

Hi Phant, yes, you're also correct. Currently, both the P-40 and the Spitfire XIV materials are set up the same way as Eagle Dynamics P-51. ED appear to have changed the way they do materials on the Spit IX and I am looking at it. That is something that might make it's way onto our models, once I understand what and how ED have done it. The current materials are up to the standard of the 109,190 and P-51 and so will do for now whilst I experiment :)

While the P-40 and the Spit all look great, I'd would just like my Hawk to be further along than it is now, there's more time spent talking about a/c not yet on the plate then the one that is, the Hawk. TC

As Pman and Ells have said, progress on the warbirds does not hinder the work being done on the Hawk. Currently, I am not contracted to work on any of the modern jets - My interest lies with the WWII prop aircraft so, rest assured, me working on them is not slowing down the Hawk :)

The spit IX looks "wierd" because the skin looks to represent hand painted invasion stripes, the kind that was hurredly put on just before D-day- as far as I can tell.

As for the XIV- nice- bring it on!

Thanks zionid, Yes, I tried to replicated the hand painted invasion stripes look on the Spit IX (What a nightmare it was lining that up with no template or wireframe!). For those interested, I made the invasion stripe layers available on my website here: http://virtual-horsemen.com/cmdownloads/spitfire-mk-ixc-invasion-stripes-for-skinners/

Hope that helps :) Happy to answer more that I can

Rob

Edited by VH-Rock

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

The Spit XIV with 21lbs of boost peaks at over 5300ft p/min

Wait wut?

According to this chart, the +18 lbs version tops out at 4700 ft/min. Seems far-fetched that an additional +5 lbs boost results in a 600 ft/min increase, no? :huh:

spit14climbchart.jpg

spit14climb-level.jpg

Edited by Vincent90
Fixed img

+21lbs of boost has a recorded peak of around 5300ft per min. I've got documentation to show it, just not going to get into tit for tat until Spitfire is closer to release :)

Pman

Edited by Pman
Roughly 25 to 40 mph depending on the altitude :D

Yeah there or there abouts :) Some reports go as high as 55mph but is usually around 40

Not sure if this has been answered or not. Are you doing clipped wing version and elliptical version?

At the moment only the clipped wing version.

Pman

Not sure if this has been answered or not. Are you doing clipped wing version and elliptical version?

The RAF used clipped wings on all XIV early 1945 due to worries about skin wrinkling even though Supermarine engineers said that the wrinkling was not a problem!

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Hi Phant, yes, you're also correct. Currently, both the P-40 and the Spitfire XIV materials are set up the same way as Eagle Dynamics P-51. ED appear to have changed the way they do materials on the Spit IX and I am looking at it. That is something that might make it's way onto our models, once I understand what and how ED have done it. The current materials are up to the standard of the 109,190 and P-51 and so will do for now whilst I experiment :)

Thanks VH-Rock, maybe PBR (Physically based rendering) related?

Bye

Phant

AMVI

Quick question: Is the XIV able to cool the engine and oil more efficient than the IX that we got?

I hope not. Or dark times are coming to Bf and Fw, according to the charts, which are showing climb rate and max air speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Quick question: Is the XIV able to cool the engine and oil more efficient than the IX that we got?

Yes it will, both oil and coolant.

It had improvements in both areas

Pman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope not. Or dark times are coming to Bf and Fw, according to the charts, which are showing climb rate and max air speed.

If you mean a restoration of balance then yes dark times indeed :thumbup:

The irony is that this aircraft actually partook in Normandy :lol: I really hope ED or one of its partners is working on a G6 or something to that effect.

The aircraft even with a cooler engine will require more maintenance than either the D9 or K4, which in comparison require 0 engine management.

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

+21lbs of boost has a recorded peak of around 5300ft per min. I've got documentation to show it, just not going to get into tit for tat until Spitfire is closer to release :)

Pman

Sounds a 'tad' bit optimistic for a variant that brought only about 8% increase in power compared to +18 lbs to miraculusly conjure up an 13 % increased climb rate, while having its wings clapped (Loss of wing area and lift) which from earlier war docs would mean a loss of about 200 fpm climb or more.

So 5300ish rates of climbs for a clipped XIV are either a fantasy that is hard to align with math, OR it is based on the early Griffon 60 series prototype results, which did produce some 5000-is climb rates on the deck, but only because the proto engine's supercharger gear setup in MS gear was different (it did a lot of power on the deck but quickly fell of with altitude, so it wasn't practical) from the final serial production model, which did around 4700 on the deck but could maintain this performance higher and longer.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

...wings clapped (Loss of wing area and lift) which from earlier war docs would mean a loss of about 200 fpm climb or more.

I do not have a favorite horse in this race, but if memory serves me well:

Reduced wing area will give an increased rate of climb(less drag, same thrust = higher indicated speed), at expense of a reduced angle of climb.

The info that I have does not indicate a loss in climb performance with clipped tips.

The variety of data that we have ranges from 5000-5300ft per min depending on weight, fuel type/grade and no doubt local atmo.

As the Spitfire comes closer we will refine our selection of specific dependencies but expect the climb rate to be in excess of 5000ft per min at some altitudes.

Pman

I'd also comment that we don't "balance" our aircraft. Our sole objective is to make the module as close to the original as per documentation and real life experience allows.

Pman